U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 12:02 PM

5,243 posts, read 8,303,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Weather Channel idiots caught faking things again.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/...nd-conditions/
There are some hilarious parodies going out making fun of this today. Honestly thoug, this is terrible, irresponsible reporting, and out-right lying to the public about what's really happening.

I lost any sense that the mainstream media reports in a responsible way a long time ago. (Around 2016 I guess, but even before that).

I knew the coast would get hit pretty hard. But, the more the media hyped and hyped this storm, the more I sensed the hype, and the less I worried that it would amount to much more than some rain and a little wind in our area. And I was right.

This kind of thing is so irresponsible, all in the name of ratings boosts (and trying to fill 24/7 news with something other than Trump/Trump/Trump). One day, there really is going to be a terrible storm and people are not going to believe the reporting is accurate. Lives will be lost because the media is dishonest and misleading.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 01:51 PM

16,264 posts, read 10,989,199 times
It's all for ratings and home Depot.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 AM

1,316 posts, read 367,384 times
Here we go again! They're out in the winds without goggles or helmets!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 AM

16,442 posts, read 13,199,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Here we go again! They're out in the winds without goggles or helmets!

And at the same time they were telling everybody in the path of Michael's eyewall to put on hard hats and cover up with mattresses! They don't even listen to what they preach!

It is only a matter of time until one is hit by flying debris. A loggers hard hat with face shield would probably be safety gear for them to wear. Of course we might not recognize them! Perhaps they could have rain slickers with their pictures imprinted?

Old 10-12-2018, 06:24 AM

3,072 posts, read 2,082,265 times
I had to turn off ABC’s live streaming on YouTube during Michael at times. It was all too easy to envision reporters outside being whacked with debris. This was different coverage with such a strong storm. Fear was heard in voices more than a few times, the reporters realized they were in harm’s way unlike other past storms. Lester Holt’s team was shown putting a mattress up over their window, after one of their producers in a room on a floor above had a window blow in. They did show a reporter outside having his hard hat blown off and having trouble standing and Jim Cantore grabbed ahold of him. There’s also videos showing Jim Cantore missing being hit by a 2x4 during Michael. Dangerous stuff with high ratings that won’t change until someone is hurt.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 AM

11,718 posts, read 9,369,531 times
I live in south Louisiana. I too cringe at the reporters. They weren’t like this in decades past. Back then the local reporters would give the most up to the minute updates and the national coverage would be based upon the local reporters or covered by national reporters after the Storm has left the area. Last direct hit we took I was at the hospital helping to keep the generators running and help with windows being blown out and other problems. Later learned a tornado touched down less than a half mile from the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or