Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They are prostitutes in a sense. They're selling a story and using themselves to do it. They have to be out in the bad weather. Although you can be damn well sure if it was really bad and very dangerous they wouldn't be out in it. And they won't show you the other people out gawking at the weather conditions. That wouldn't sell the message that they're braving this horrible storm to bring you live first hand coverage.
The Weather Channel is just pathetic, they're a joke. I understand they have to make a big deal about this to get ratings, but how many " storms like no other" can we have if they happen every year. This is a hurricane, it not like its something new and terrible.
TWC has to fill 24 hours a day of just weather! (Or weather dramas).

Just think if you live in San Diego, where it is mid-seventies and partly cloudy just about every day, you have to add some pizzazz to your broadcast to get people to tune in. Watching some smuck get blown around a beach is oddly satisfying to a lot of viewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Wouldn't street cams, EarthCam, and other web cams (on piers, buildings, etc) show more LIVE 'action' in more areas of concern and in a safer manner?

I tend to agree with this. There are enough other ways to get footage these days that they don't need to have a live person standing there. If they feel the live person makes it so much more interesting, it would be just as easy to have that person at the studio standing in front of the live stream, and discussing the images.

To answer your question, what reporters have that residents do not is the blessing and supervision of a fire chief. They're told where they can stand where they will get dramatic footage but also be out of the way and not in need of rescue themselves. Some reporters hate this because it means they can't get the much more dramatic footage that may be happening nearby. But you can be fired for disobeying the instructions of emergency personnel.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:08 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
Ok, I get the dramatic shot bit and I don't for a minute think they are in actual supreme danger or they wouldn't be in those spots.

What drives me nuts is when the TWC person standing in the weather drones on and on basically saying whatever barely understandable drivel comes to their mind for 10-15 minutes. "See that water over there? It's getting higher. Now see that water over beyond there? It's getting higher. See those trees? I've been watching them blow all day. That dock looks unsteady over there. That sidewalk has water on it. See that water over there? Oh, I just said that...dang."

I realize they are probably trying to get the message across that it's not worth it to venture out, but still. RIP to the fatalities. Just awful.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:37 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Ok, I get the dramatic shot bit and I don't for a minute think they are in actual supreme danger or they wouldn't be in those spots.

What drives me nuts is when the TWC person standing in the weather drones on and on basically saying whatever barely understandable drivel comes to their mind for 10-15 minutes. "See that water over there? It's getting higher. Now see that water over beyond there? It's getting higher. See those trees? I've been watching them blow all day. That dock looks unsteady over there. That sidewalk has water on it. See that water over there? Oh, I just said that...dang.".
HILARIOUS because it's true.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Weather Channel idiots caught faking things again.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/...nd-conditions/

Old 09-15-2018, 04:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Because unlike the stupid population that stays behind, they are fully prepared with their own equipment, crew, resources and hurricane-safe structures, and they have a plan and prepare for this. Where the stupid population thinks provided they have jugs of water, beer and chips, they are prepared.
Not always
"The newsroom of ABC affiliate WCTI12 in New Bern, North Carolina was evacuated while meteorologists were live on air covering Hurricane Florence."
https://www.aol.com/article/weather/...ence/23527727/

Old 09-15-2018, 06:46 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post

What drives me nuts is when the TWC person standing in the weather drones on and on basically saying whatever barely understandable drivel comes to their mind for 10-15 minutes. "See that water over there? It's getting higher. Now see that water over beyond there? It's getting higher. See those trees? I've been watching them blow all day. That dock looks unsteady over there. That sidewalk has water on it. See that water over there? Oh, I just said that...dang."

I realize they are probably trying to get the message across that it's not worth it to venture out, but still. RIP to the fatalities. Just awful.
Had one the other night, on the beach, where I can recall. She said something like "An hour ago, I could stand on the beach. Now I have to stand closer to the dunes." Next morning she said the water had risen, but had since gone back down. She didn't know about tides.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Weather Channel dude said Myrtle Beach had been a ghost town for two days. Beach cam footage shows same guy signing autographs on the boardwalk in the bright sunshine.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:46 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times

Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
That's one sure way to STOP this grandstanding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes