Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:39 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times

Advertisements

Exactly what super powers do they possess that we ordinary mortals do not? A tree branch, part of a roof, or other debris can hit them at over 100mph, yet they don’t wear any protective gear! But they assure us that they are safe and have the experience to know what to do. And they always go out of their way to chastise others that are doing the exact same thing.

But that’s really utter nonsense, and also hypocritical. It undercuts the warning from emergency officials for everyone to stay indoors and safe. And that is why you often see people making fun behind the reporters during their broadcasts.

Is there truly any great news value to be gained by putting broadcasters in extremely dangerous situations like hurricane force winds and swift tidal flooding? I realize it makes for compelling TV - maybe people like the drama of seeing someone imperil their life in order to possibly see an accident or worse(sort of like NASCAR, boxing, etc.). But is it really worth it to imperil the lives of their employees for a station only to boost ratings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:23 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Because unlike the stupid population that stays behind, they are fully prepared with their own equipment, crew, resources and hurricane-safe structures, and they have a plan and prepare for this. Where the stupid population thinks provided they have jugs of water, beer and chips, they are prepared.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Because unlike the stupid population that stays behind, they are fully prepared with their own equipment, crew, resources and hurricane-safe structures, and they have a plan and prepare for this. Where the stupid population thinks provided they have jugs of water, beer and chips, they are prepared.
Don't forget the wine!

Old 09-14-2018, 02:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Exactly what super powers do they possess that we ordinary mortals do not? A tree branch, part of a roof, or other debris can hit them at over 100mph, yet they don’t wear any protective gear! But they assure us that they are safe and have the experience to know what to do. And they always go out of their way to chastise others that are doing the exact same thing.

But that’s really utter nonsense, and also hypocritical. It undercuts the warning from emergency officials for everyone to stay indoors and safe. And that is why you often see people making fun behind the reporters during their broadcasts.

Is there truly any great news value to be gained by putting broadcasters in extremely dangerous situations like hurricane force winds and swift tidal flooding? I realize it makes for compelling TV - maybe people like the drama of seeing someone imperil their life in order to possibly see an accident or worse(sort of like NASCAR, boxing, etc.). But is it really worth it to imperil the lives of their employees for a station only to boost ratings?
Short answer:

Yes.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:36 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
They are prostitutes in a sense. They're selling a story and using themselves to do it. They have to be out in the bad weather. Although you can be damn well sure if it was really bad and very dangerous they wouldn't be out in it. And they won't show you the other people out gawking at the weather conditions. That wouldn't sell the message that they're braving this horrible storm to bring you live first hand coverage.
The Weather Channel is just pathetic, they're a joke. I understand they have to make a big deal about this to get ratings, but how many " storms like no other" can we have if they happen every year. This is a hurricane, it not like its something new and terrible.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Because ... they are fully prepared with their own equipment, crew, resources and hurricane-safe structures, and they have a plan and prepare for this.
Fully prepared!? Equipment!?

I have been watching the LIVE coverage of Hurricane Florence on several stations all morning. Just like I said in my OP, no one (other than Cantore) is wearing any special equipment (helmet, googles, etc). They are all only wearing a rain hoodie with their station logo on it. All it takes is a gust of wind to blow a portion of a roof, a street sign or other debris, or a rush of flood water to seriously injure these cable clowns.

Yet the incessant LIVE broadcasting of grandstanding reporters 'braving' waist high flood waters and hurricane winds put too much attention on them and only at that particular location, and NOT the widespread actual conditions (flooding, wind damage, closed roads) or victims in other areas that fixed cameras could show.

Wouldn't street cams, EarthCam, and other web cams (on piers, buildings, etc) show more LIVE 'action' in more areas of concern and in a safer manner?

Old 09-14-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The Weather Channel is just pathetic, they're a joke.
I think it's funny how Stephanie Abrams bragged this morning about how she has fifteen (15) years experience and knows what to do. I have over fifty (50) years experience dealing with hurricanes here in South Florida.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Short answer is it makes for great TV drama. Many will tune in just to watch in case a reporter gets decapitated by a piece of metal roof flying through the air at 100mph. I doubt all the equipment, experience and crew will do much to help in a situation like that.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Many of them overly exaggerate the actual weather conditions. Fear mongering so to speak. Great for the economy as the grocery store and hardware store shelves go bare.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Fully prepared!? Equipment!?

I have been watching the LIVE coverage of Hurricane Florence on several stations all morning. Just like I said in my OP, no one (other than Cantore) is wearing any special equipment (helmet, googles, etc). They are all only wearing a rain hoodie with their station logo on it. All it takes is a gust of wind to blow a portion of a roof, a street sign or other debris, or a rush of flood water to seriously injure these cable clowns.

Yet the incessant LIVE broadcasting of grandstanding reporters 'braving' waist high flood waters and hurricane winds put too much attention on them and only at that particular location, and NOT the widespread actual conditions (flooding, wind damage, closed roads) or victims in other areas that fixed cameras could show.

Wouldn't street cams, EarthCam, and other web cams (on piers, buildings, etc) show more LIVE 'action' in more areas of concern and in a safer manner?
I think you absolutely nailed it.

rummage seems to think that those of us who have ridden out storms just do so without any thought behind it. Because we obviously can't be smart. And granted, there are obviously people in New Bern, NC that didn't think this thing through. But don't label everyone as stupid. There are a lot of folks there in multi story buildings that are just fine.

My place in Florida will never flood, has a generator, ballistic windows, and is made of concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes