Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:09 PM

36 posts, read 108,869 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Central Florida (Orlando/Tampa area) but with the hurracaines I want to explore a total concrete home, including the roof. Any thoughts on this? Experience with this? recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I built my home that way, it's smart as you have nothing to worry about hurricanes, tornadoes and termites. Less worry about leaky roofs too. Unless you build it yourself it will be a challenge to find an experienced builder.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM

I found someone who says he has built houses in Puerto Rico and in Florida that way. But tell me how long have you had your house? Is it also energy efficient? Did it costs a whole lot more? Did you keep the design simple to save money?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM

147 posts, read 190,600 times
Default Trailers

The main reason why Hurricanes always massace Florida is because most lower middle class and below as well as retirement communities are exclusively trailer or modular-esque construction. However, there is not much of this construction in South Florida as the high land values do not merit the construction of newer trailer parks (there are always exceptions). Hower, in central, western, and northern Florida these cheap construction methods are more widespread.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM

It cost me less to build a concrete roof, than to use wood. It was faster, safer for my dad and I to build. The trusses, plywood, roofing, insulation and drywall would have been more expensive than the concrete and steel we used. It has been tested by a tornado several years back, and while it was a mild one, both my neighbors had roof damage. I had debris on the roof, but from other homes and my trees. Maintenance wise concrete is superior, and I was pleased to not have termite worries. Energy wise it cam be bad as the concrete soaks up heat and drives up air conditionong bills. My solution? Cover the roof with mulch and some plants that can be watered. In a more inland location with fresh water I would cover the entire roof with plant life. The flat roof is free patio space and I think it is more beautiful that sloped roofs that overwhelm the natural scenery.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM

198 posts, read 959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltorres View Post
I want to move to Central Florida (Orlando/Tampa area) but with the hurracaines I want to explore a total concrete home, including the roof. Any thoughts on this? Experience with this? recommendations?
Are you going to build the house yourself, or have someone else do it? Around here(nature coast area), Mercedes homes is known as one of the few builders that really has storm building experience. They built a house with bob villa a while back and have been featured as having good storm ready homes. I dont know if they do all concrete though, but its a place to start looking.

Disclaimer time: As always, you need to do your own homework and investigation, and I do not work for, or in anyway know, mercedes homes personally...

Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM

74 posts, read 347,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It cost me less to build a concrete roof, than to use wood. It was faster, safer for my dad and I to build. The trusses, plywood, roofing, insulation and drywall would have been more expensive than the concrete and steel we used. It has been tested by a tornado several years back, and while it was a mild one, both my neighbors had roof damage. I had debris on the roof, but from other homes and my trees. Maintenance wise concrete is superior, and I was pleased to not have termite worries. Energy wise it cam be bad as the concrete soaks up heat and drives up air conditionong bills. My solution? Cover the roof with mulch and some plants that can be watered. In a more inland location with fresh water I would cover the entire roof with plant life. The flat roof is free patio space and I think it is more beautiful that sloped roofs that overwhelm the natural scenery.
How many square feet is your house and are you insured? If so, any savings on insurance? Do you have any pictures you can post? thanks...

Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM

1800 square feet and no insurance. I have to look through my files for our building pictures.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 AM

So i take it you do not have a mortgage otherwise you would have to have insurance, correct?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:01 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I helped a family with a purchase of a concrete home last year. The home was originally built in 1946 but it has a shingle roof. They've told me that hanging pictures, window dressings etc. is quite the challenge on those solid walls...ha! IMO, the house is a fortress, however, they received no break whatsoever on homeowner insurance...it was valued like every other home of that age (so wrong).

All steel construction has been popular lately as well. I had a local builder tell me he was run out of Sarasota by the traditional builders because the cost of steel construction was so cheap. Of course, that's heresay and I have no way to confirm or deny its validity. I've often wondered if steel would really withstand hurricane force winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes