U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,462,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
The most expensive natural disaster in the United States up to 2006 in terms of insured losses is Hurricane Katrina that hit Florida and then devastated the Gulf Coast, which flooded New Orleans and sent a 28-foot high storm surge into Alabama and Mississippi.

The estimated cost of this hurricane is $45 billion. Before this Hurricane Andrew held the title since August 1992, which slammed into the Bahamas and Florida costing around $22.3 billion.
How much was a house in 1992 ? 60-100K
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 353,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Remember that when you "own" a condo all you have is a percentage of the value of the complex. If it is destroyed you have to rely on insurance to rebuild, you are powerless to do anything. In a home or non-condo townhome you can make repairs yourself if necessary, but in a condo that's simply not possible. The riskiest buildings have a wood roof. A fire or even a summer storm can damage the roof, rendering the building uninhabitable overnight. Many buildings suffer from neglect, electrical problems and plumbing troubles have caused whole buildings to be evacuated till repairs are done. In the meatime you are homeless and STILL have to pay your mortgage/taxes/maintenance. If you MUST buy a condo never, EVER buy in a building with a wood roof. Also be aware that oceanfront high rise buildings can develop structural weaknesses from corrosion that unless caught, could cause catastrophic failure in a hurricane. As for me I would never buy a condo, it's better to live in a shack on a lot you own.
I think Rick summarized everything about the condo crap. Condos are crap, if you leave a house somewhere else to live in an apartment (that is what a condo is, except you own it and are LIABLE for it), you will be miserable.

Hey, check out my new thread... one day driving around Orlando (Today, Thu 12-21-06).

Old 12-21-2006, 10:56 PM

14 posts, read 13,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
How much was a house in 1992 ? 60-100K
I dunno, but I know that next hurricane season I will be way gone, i am leaving in jan.

Forget this place, it is not good anymore....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or