U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 353,119 times

Advertisements

There is a good chance they WILL be back. What weakens hurricanes and keep them from forming are cool waters in the Atlantic. Because of Global Warming (although I don't believe in it 100%) is causing the waters in the Atlantic to warm up. The result... another Katrina is due to hit sooner or later.

here is a recap of the 2004 and 2005 hurricane years in Central Florida. Mind you, we were blessed not to die. Folks in South Florida were literally dying.

Remmeber Charlie?? That one was a pain! We didn't have power for 3 days, it was 100 degrees, 100% humidity. We lost ALL the frozen food (although we did everything to save the food, had ice and all), it sucked! We are GLAD to be alive though, lots of people died.....

Here is a reminder of lovely Hurricane Charlie. Oh Charlie was just one...we have been hit by like 6 hurricanes since 2004, it is a MIRACLE "El Nino" cooled the waters down some this year (2006)

On Friday the 13th, August 2004, Hurricane Charley loomed over

The Morning after...

This is a typical roof after a hurricane. You know what water intrusion means in FL??? MOLD!! People lost their homes entirely after the hurricane(s).

This is what water intrusion does. Well, in this case, the drip is a minor issue compared to the mold.

This is the mold/drywall damaged caused.

This will be your home after a hurricane.

Think some buildings are safe... well check this nice, newly constructed hotel!!

Have you ever seen a fistfight for a gallon of gas??

Try not being able to get anything. How do you like that?

Until you get your insurance check (which could take... well... years), this could be you.

Honey, where is the car???

Lovely street!!

And I moved to Florida for the Sunshine....

Being in the dark for two weeks in Lake Buena Vista...

Man, I just paid for the sign....

This used to be a hummm.... dang, I don't kow...

After the hurricane, tree-removing companies were backed-up so much, people LIVED like this for almost 6 months.

Frances was a MILD hurricane, but still.....

Will this be Florida 2007?? No need for levies to break... we have so many lakes and retention ponds, it could all flood like this.

Moved to FL.... how do you like it now?

Last edited by Christian11; 12-19-2006 at 12:54 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,428,504 times
Well at the rate the weather is going this year, 2007 looks like a quiet season. Every time we have had a wet December it has been before a summer of nothing . Al the activity of the last two years has cooled the Atlantic, while warm currents now exist in the pacific. The tru test will be when the days begin to lengthen, and how the weather will be then. A dry May is usually an indicator of comming huricanes. I don't think 2007 will bring what I am waiting for, but I am sure most people in Florida will be thankful!

Old 12-19-2006, 01:04 AM

911 posts, read 3,311,196 times
The Crystal Ball says...

Florida and the ENTIRE USA east coast will be detroyed by a Monster Storrm, Nuclear Winters, Centuries of famine, mayhem and assorted attrocities, While;
The entire west coast is anihalated by a Tsunami, an Attack by Japan and Germany and a "Reincarnate Hitler"
I guarantee this shall come to pass are double your $$ back...

Old 12-19-2006, 03:20 AM

13,387 posts, read 41,744,227 times
lol DeLaSalle ::"send this to 6 people and your luck will change, send it to 8 people and you'll win a zillion dollars"::

Experts at CSU had predicted this for the 2006 season:

* 17 named tropical storms; an average season has 9.6.
* 9 hurricanes compared to the average of 5.9.
* 5 major hurricanes with winds exceeding 110 mph; average is 2.3.

Accuweather had said the northeast was "staring down the barrel of a gun."

And we all know that this never came to pass. Apparently dry dusty African air and El Nino kept things from swirling up in the Atlantic.

They are predicting between 13 and 16 named storms for 2007, with at least 4 of them coming ashore.

We shall see. The forecasters say El Nino coming when it did was very unusual. But come it did.
That's the thing: you can prognosticate and fret and worry all you want, but the weather is gonna do what it's gonna do: prepare for the worst and hope for the best and don't pay inordinate attention to the "experts."

Old 12-19-2006, 05:29 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,547,903 times
I recall the "forecasters" saying that 2006 was going to be worse than 2004 or 2005. I recall the "forecasters also saying that we were in a 20 year cycle where every year would have numerous catagory 4 and 5 storms hitting Florida.

Soooo, now the "forecasters" need to scramble and come up with theories as to why nothing close to what they predicted happened in 2006. El Nino, La Ninia, Los Locos, El Stupido - I forecast that the forecasters will be wrong with whatever they try to forecast concerning long term weather patterns.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,248,829 times
So they say 2007 will be bad, then again 2006 was supposed to be such then that all changed. Wait and see, if it is bad, can't wait to see how it effects the economy and insurance rates.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,428,504 times
Seriously no hurricane can destroy Florida, I remember Andrew going through the Everglades and a few years later the path of the storm was barely visible. Hurricanes destroy man's work, of which much of it is unpleasant and designed to fail. People could build survivable structures if they really wanted to , but they do not. Who wants a structure to last a lifetime when a Mc Mansion which has to be reworked every decade or so will do? I like hurricanes as they prove that no matter how much money or influence someone has, they have to run from the wind just like everyone else, if they deliberately put their home in harm's way. I do not feel sorry when they get their just reward. Developers treat nature like their personal money machine, without regard for the damage so let nature get it's revenge.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM

518 posts, read 2,040,795 times
Most hurricane "predictions" issued in December aren't worth the paper/bandwidth they're printed on. I don't begin to take them seriously until April or May, when summer weather patterns begin to take shape.

The Atlantic waters were plenty warm to support an active hurricane season in 2006, but other factors (high wind shear throughout the Atlantic, weakening high pressure in the mid-Atlantic that allowed storms to turn away from the U.S., the onset of El Nino in October) combined to keep the season quiet. We also got a break in Florida when Ernesto lost most of its juice over Cuba.

The hurricane "offseason" is a good time to prepare a bit for next year -- review your hurricane planning, check your supplies, take steps to harden your home if possible.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:16 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,259,818 times
Yes, we had two back-to-back years of bad storms, (2004 & 2005). We might have bad storms next season, but I'm thankful that we didn't get hit with anything this year, and I'll take any year like that. Meanwhile, we will do what we do every year. Check our supplies, make sure we have everything we need, just be as prepared as possible, as Chisoxfan mentioned. My husband and I have lived in the Florida Panhandle for over 26 years, and have ridden out every storm but one, (Opal, which, as it turned out, did zip in this area. We were more worried about it catching up with us, out on the road, because it was moving so fast). Our supplies, our preparation, and the advice of our local emergency authorities, coupled with our own common sense, will dictate our actions during the next hurricane season, just as it always has. After these many years/storms, I don't worry much about it. I get more aggravated after the fact, (i.e., clean-up, insurance, etc.). There really isn't a reason to get overly worked up over the predictions by the experts. They can only give us "educated" guesses, after all.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,556,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
"[
Mcguy
First, how am I knocking people that are in trouble? Unless you consider people in trouble to be those that can't buy a house. Because that seems to be the biggest complaint. You have a roof over your head, you have food on the table, you have enough money to have a Internet connection. I don't see this as being in trouble.
Do you know how many people out there would gladly change places with you.
There are people out there with real problems. Seniors that have to choose between eating and buying their medication because of the skyrocketing prices of the medication. Single parents that struggle daily because the ex-spouse would rather drive a fancy car than pay child support.
I "work" with a number of families every year that are trying to get out of debt. You would be amazed at the things they thought they "had to have" that were causing them to get deeper in debt. It is all about choices, I have seen couples that would rather be in an apartment and have the extra money to travel. I have also seen couples that spend hundreds of dollars on things that they never realized added up to so much. They were very surprised to see that their daily stops for a "latte" added up to nearly $300 a month.
Second
No our house is not paid for we have only been here 5 years, and to answer the question could we buy the same house today? We are, the new house we are moving to is approximately the same price that we are selling this one for. We are very fortunate that we will have a profit from this house to put down 20% on the new house. which will keep the mortgage payment the same as we are paying now. Am I going to apologize for this, no . We worked hard, we both had full time jobs and I worked as a DJ on the weekend to bring in extra income. So now I am able to "give something back" I volunteer to help people get out of debt among other volunteer projects.

What I was trying to get across if you can't achieve what you are looking for where you are then go to where you can, there are "talkers" and there are "doers" only they can decide which they want to be.
karla

I know what you are saying, I owned a bar for quite a few years and I worked a shift now and then. I would listen to peoples troubles and in many cases their problems are their own doing. They can ware out your sympathies pretty quick. When I sold it, my wife and I burned about $30,000 in IOU's from people we had tried to help who just never seemed to be worth it. They will waste what they have and anything you give them as well. I became pretty jaded after that experience.

I have rental properties and it's the same, give them an inch and they take a yard. There are a lot of hard working people out there but many either want something for nothing or are just wishful thinkers who won't put forth the effort even if given the opportunity.

Last edited by macguy; 12-19-2006 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or