U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 PM

73,060 posts, read 56,477,410 times

Advertisements

River level is dropping. Huh?

https://twitter.com/BillKarins/statu...58977070686208
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 2,148,416 times
Nice wind map, thanks for posting!

Looking at tidal gauges it looks like we're more towards Low tide with high tide closer to sun rise so coastal tide gauge heights have dropped from earlier. Next high tide cycle many places will likely be higher though. The only places though I don't see it dropping still is Grand Isle, LA area & Barataria Bay / Caminada Bay / near Lafatte, LA, still rising.

Not sure why Mississippi gauge in New Orleans dropping. Could just be storm different path/condition than originally factored in?

Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
River level is dropping. Huh?

Ok, I see now, they just dropped it to max height of Mississippi River gauge at New Orleans from 19ft forecast to 17.1ft forecast.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Fri 12July2019 11pEDT/10pCDT: Winds remain 65mph, crawling WNW 3mph, pressure holding 993mb. NHC still calling for steady strengthening until landfall as a Cat1 hurricane Saturday. Tropical Storm force winds extend well out from the center, up to 175miles away. System a little better organized this evening but presentation looks ragged compared to say a classic Tropical Storm / Hurricane. Rain/flood/surge threat remain for days to come, very serious flood threat starting tonight as rain moves in.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:51 PM

11,620 posts, read 9,301,645 times
We’re in the direct path, Lafayette Louisiana. Bit frustrating the main, and some cases only, focus of the national news or cable news networks is New Orleans. You’d this New Orleans was in the direct path and the only community in Louisiana. I’m awake now because I’m getting ready to go to work about 5 hours early. I work in a hospital boiler room. That means boilers, emergency generators, medical gas, and rescues from elevator entrapment that usually happen in power blinks or outages. If the power cuts off while the elevator is at a certain point it won’t restart when power is restored until the service contractor comes out to jump a circuit and they’re not coming out during the storm. Most of the hospital’s maintain employment crew will be onsite. Last direct hit we took resulted in water coming into the building and a tornado forming near the hospital taking out power and some windows. Wife and I have plenty of water and battery powered flashlights and lanterns.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 AM

Current map with surface winds on. The pink wind barbs are 40+kts. Note where the strongest winds are.

Not raining in Louisiana but coastal Mississippi getting hit.

Making landfall right there next couple hours.

Zoomed in where landfall will be

Old 07-13-2019, 04:38 AM

Playing the radar loop past couple hours I see a band was over LA but then it dissipated. Looks like the rain is drying up over the state...for now I guess. Heaviest rain staying off shore...for now

NHC doesn't think it will hit Cat 1 status anymore. Will be a Depression by time it reaches northern LA

Old 07-13-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We’re in the direct path, Lafayette Louisiana. Bit frustrating the main, and some cases only, focus of the national news or cable news networks is New Orleans. You’d this New Orleans was in the direct path and the only community in Louisiana. I’m awake now because I’m getting ready to go to work about 5 hours early. I work in a hospital boiler room. That means boilers, emergency generators, medical gas, and rescues from elevator entrapment that usually happen in power blinks or outages. If the power cuts off while the elevator is at a certain point it won’t restart when power is restored until the service contractor comes out to jump a circuit and they’re not coming out during the storm. Most of the hospital’s maintain employment crew will be onsite. Last direct hit we took resulted in water coming into the building and a tornado forming near the hospital taking out power and some windows. Wife and I have plenty of water and battery powered flashlights and lanterns.

Follow NWS New Orleans and send them photos or reports of anything.

It's only a Tropical storm so I don't expect you guys to be without power for long. But with Flooding the big concern, near rivers, coast or low lying areas, it might be hard to start the restoring process. Good luck and stay safe.

A row boat should be on peoples checklist.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
...NHC doesn't think it will hit Cat 1 status anymore. ...
Not shown on maps or in forecast but it is actually buried in their discussion thread: “Although not explicitly shown in the forecast below, Barry is still expected to be a hurricane before it makes landfall later today.”

But doesn’t matter too much 65 vs 74mph. As soon as comes ashore winds will start to come down though.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Well thanks for all you do, it's likely an unseen fight to keep things running. My wife works in the medical field and when longer duration weather events hit they'll set out beds for all the employees and even go pick them up in bigger trucks or emergency vehicles if they can't get in. Can be very stressful environment with limited coverage across wide regions and being separated from family while having to focus on jobs in the middle of a long duration event storm where communications may become limited or downed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes