Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 09:10 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's surface wind gusts on the east side of the eye.
Yes, I understand.

How high above the ground are the hurricane planes tracking?

As I understand, the wind gusts drop in speed closer the ground.

It's like the forecasters *want* the storm so desperately to be a cat 5. Like they are THRILLED about it. Like they just won the stupid bowl. It's beyond disgusting.

I just want accurate forecasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 09:15 AM

30,424 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Those gusts are at the top of the eyewall, though, right? What is representative of what will happen on the ground?

If those wind speeds are correct, there will be nothing left on the island. Nothing. No people, no buildings.

Pictures after the hurricane tell a better story of what actually is happening, how high the wind really is because of the damage it leaves. Wind damage and water damage look different too.
Some coconut palms will be left standing. They can bend pretty good...

Old 09-01-2019, 09:20 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Only just begin.. Hope that structure is built to withstand this but what about the wall of water?

https://twitter.com/stevepece/status...71582092656640

Old 09-01-2019, 09:24 AM

30,424 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Within 30 years we will see Cat6's with gust over 240mph.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:26 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
The forecasters want viewers so they have to hype the storm and basically do a circus act to keep peoples interest. If I hear " There's never been a storm like this before" I've heard it a couple of dozen time the last few years with every big storm. And I'll admit that I've grown skeptical of what we're told by anyone in the MSM or on a federal level. Are they fudging the numbers a bit? It wouldn't be the first time.
I'm now preparing to hear the chants of " See, global warming is real" since a storm like this has never happened before. " And to be called scientifically illiterate by the scientifically illiterate.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:34 AM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
6z GFS looks like it has an actual landfall in NC (somewhere between Wilmington and the Outer Banks) next Friday. 0z Euro isn't far off either. Both models actually seem to be fairly in agreement there, but of course that's still quite a bit away.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The forecasters want viewers so they have to hype the storm and basically do a circus act to keep peoples interest. If I hear " There's never been a storm like this before" I've heard it a couple of dozen time the last few years with every big storm. And I'll admit that I've grown skeptical of what we're told by anyone in the MSM or on a federal level. Are they fudging the numbers a bit? It wouldn't be the first time.
I'm now preparing to hear the chants of " See, global warming is real" since a storm like this has never happened before. " And to be called scientifically illiterate by the scientifically illiterate.
I've been through a number of hurricanes and seen the damage firsthand.

In recent years, the damage? Doesn't reflect the wind speeds we've been told. I've become skeptical because of this. And to have it juuuuuuuuust reach Cat 5 as it starts pounding the Bahamas? Nice ratings getter, ain't it.

And I hope for the Bahamas' sake that it really isn't.

As I've said, the pictures will tell the story. Wait and see. And hope.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:47 AM

One place to track wind speed:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=spgf1

This buoy is just west of Freeport.

9/1: 11 am wind speed is 21 knots

Old 09-01-2019, 10:05 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times
This guy is there. Dock is under water now

https://twitter.com/ExtremeStorms/st...52541109948422

Old 09-01-2019, 10:19 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So the National Hurricane Center is in on this grand conspiracy? Then who can we trust? Maybe some people on YouTube?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes