U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 09:30 PM

6,162 posts, read 4,456,270 times

Advertisements

What happened in the northern Bahamas... there are no words. I'm not sure if that has ever happened where a Cat 5 hurricane hits a location and then parks itself there, leaving the inhabitants to deal with major hurricane conditions for TWO DAYS straight. I can only hope the death toll was minimal.

That being said, it could have been a lot worse. The areas that were hit were relatively sparsely populated. The hurricane weakened a lot just east of Florida, and it seems that Florida was spared the worst of the impact. The latest forecasts still have Dorian staying offshore. 70% of the population of the Bahamas lives in one location (Nassau) and it seems that Nassau was minimally impacted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 PM

32,114 posts, read 50,343,792 times

That being said, it could have been a lot worse

The more damage in a less developed country/area, the more difficult to return to normal—
Did you consider that?
Most of those people are living below poverty line
Infrastructure gone can be devastating for months vs days or weeks as in areas w/better resources
Just to GET to the Bahamas w/relief supplies will take time and effort that wouldn’t be required if it were driveable from the state next door...

I can’t imagine how terrible that noise and pressure must have been for people that were not someplace with very thick concrete walls—
PTSD can be an after effect of something like this for long time...

Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,418,172 times
Ms. loves2read, why must you always be so argumentative? I have repped you myself many times for your thoughtful posts, and yet you seem to not be able to "read" other peoples' compassionate posts. Sometimes I find your words hard to put into context. Why always on the defence? 99% of the people here agree with your kinder posts.

Post Script: I get your education and the "debate," but this is a thread about a hurricane, its path, and the tragedy that ensued. No place for debate here, imho.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 PM

11,074 posts, read 9,361,335 times
Emergency measures are underway in the Abacos and to a lesser degree thus far, on Grand Bahama. Helicopters are being used, as both airports are out of commission, with water covering the runways. But some help is beginning to arrive. The American Coast Guard is assisting and Bahamian Marines are being ferried onto the islands. A British naval vessel is also standing by. Emergency supplies are being gathered in Miami and in Nassau, and will be delivered at the first opportunity. The Red Cross and similar charitable groups will be on the scene very shortly. The most seriously injured people on Great Abaco were airlifted to the hospital in Nassau, but two of them didn't make it, tragically.

So please, everyone, donate to which ever of the assisting groups you prefer. The need is vast and it will take a very long time before things are stabilized, far less approaching normal...

If every foreign tourist who'd ever visited the Bahamas would donate a few dollars - whatever they can afford - that would help. So if you've ever visited - think about it.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:40 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,026,661 times
How did the Indians that originally lived on these islands survive hurricanes when they didn't have structures like people there do today?

Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 AM

73,989 posts, read 57,406,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
What happened in the northern Bahamas... there are no words. I'm not sure if that has ever happened where a Cat 5 hurricane hits a location and then parks itself there, leaving the inhabitants to deal with major hurricane conditions for TWO DAYS straight. ..
Not a Cat 5 but there was a Cat 4. Check out 1838! Looks like it stalled too. We had ships, not Satellites or weather models back then. Could of been a Cat 5, who knows.

Cary is a Professor at the University of South Carolina, Dept. of Geography. Specializes in Climatology, Hurricanes, Historical Meteorology and Extreme Weather Events, U Oregon Graduate.

https://twitter.com/cary_mock/status...67486462709767

Old 09-04-2019, 04:02 AM

North Carolina:

For I-95 to coastal plain, 5-10 inches of rain, sustained tropical storm force winds, gusts to hurricane force.. And obviously immediate coastal sections 6-12 inches of rain. Possible sustained winds at hurricane force.

West of I-95: I think 1-4 inches of rain. Gusts to 40 mph possible

Old 09-04-2019, 04:05 AM

St Augustine Florida

https://twitter.com/CarmenSisson/sta...26672517554176

Old 09-04-2019, 04:07 AM

17,194 posts, read 11,351,158 times
Heavy rain just 60 miles east of me and bone dry for my area as the air will sink and stay dry for days thanks to the cane.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:43 AM

6:40am Map with temps. Report from St Augustine Sustained winds at 44mph. Remains a Cat 2 until Friday then weakens to a Cat 1 approaching NC.

Those outer rain bands can produce some strong gusts and heavy tropical downpours but doesn't last as long as being closer to the core.

Copyright © 2019 Cambium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes