Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 04:46 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times

Advertisements

Wed 6a: winds 105mph, moving NNW 8mph, pressure 963mb, about 90-95 miles E of Daytona Beach, FL.

Reminders:
-Tornado threat for FL very low but there, increases GA and a few tornadoes are likely SC and NC especially with that NE corner of the storm as rain bands come onshore mainly.
-DONT tape windows...this used to be recommended but all it ends up doing is collecting glass shards to blow around if breaks.
-Wind near the coast, but surge and rain biggest story overall.
-Scattered power outages along coast FL/GA, more inland as well SC & NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 05:57 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Where are the people? Are they being taken to Nassau?

Old 09-04-2019, 05:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
What about Hurricane Mitch in October 1998? It unleashed Hell on Honduras for days, washing out bridges, etc. Over 11,000 people died as a result of the flooding. The speed and direction of the hurricane matters just as much (sometimes more!) than the strength. The Saffir-Simpson scale only measures wind speed, but even a category 1 hurricane that's stationary can do all kinds of damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
What happened in the northern Bahamas... there are no words. I'm not sure if that has ever happened where a Cat 5 hurricane hits a location and then parks itself there, leaving the inhabitants to deal with major hurricane conditions for TWO DAYS straight. I can only hope the death toll was minimal.

That being said, it could have been a lot worse. The areas that were hit were relatively sparsely populated. The hurricane weakened a lot just east of Florida, and it seems that Florida was spared the worst of the impact. The latest forecasts still have Dorian staying offshore. 70% of the population of the Bahamas lives in one location (Nassau) and it seems that Nassau was minimally impacted.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:03 AM

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/...17009042776064

Old 09-04-2019, 06:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
According to Levi's latest post, the west side of the storm is the worst part.

Isn't the upper right -- NE -- quadrant always the fiercest? I've noticed a trend lately that the part of the storm that faces/covers land is the worst. Why is that? Storms are supposed to weaken over land. And not change the severity of the quadrants on a whim. Just because they are near land.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Ms. loves2read, why must you always be so argumentative? I have repped you myself many times for your thoughtful posts, and yet you seem to not be able to "read" other peoples' compassionate posts. Sometimes I find your words hard to put into context. Why always on the defence? 99% of the people here agree with your kinder posts.

Post Script: I get your education and the "debate," but this is a thread about a hurricane, its path, and the tragedy that ensued. No place for debate here, imho.
Thank you for your kind words
Maybe I did over react
Part of my angst is about Puerto Rico that still is dealing with the aftereffects of its last hurricane

And yes there are relief efforts underway
But I can still remember the line of WalMart, Lowes, and utility electric trucks lined up outside Irma’s path waiting to come to the relief of Floridians as soon as they were allowed to move south...

People in the Caribbean know how to deal with hurricanes
But Dorian was a step above
More damage, harder recovery...

Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 AM

In this case per microwave imagery from Levi we see Dorian’s core still never fully recovered from staying in Bahamas, so it’s not a perfect circle at the eye structurally anymore, lopsided core but trying to recover over warm gulf stream current. But it’s out of time..being pulled by nearby weather systems, proximity to land and not a perfect core anymore.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
According to Levi's latest post, the west side of the storm is the worst part.

Isn't the upper right -- NE -- quadrant always the fiercest? I've noticed a trend lately that the part of the storm that faces/covers land is the worst. Why is that? Storms are supposed to weaken over land. And not change the severity of the quadrants on a whim. Just because they are near land.
Just from what I have gathered from reading blogs like Levi Cowan’s and the weather guy in Houston and just hearing what people describe...

I think the difference is angle—a direct impact disrupts (as much as possible) more of the storm’s energy center and ability to continue its torque—more of a battle between hurricane and land that drains power—
Harvey hitting the mountains of Cuba was an important factor in slowing it down and helping change direction to certain extent—as I remember

This storm’s centrical force won’t be harmed/slowed as much if the outer bands are what make landfall...
Right now this hurricane hasn’t made a US landfall as far as I know...it is crawling parallel to the coastline

But there is still an ability to cause storm surge because that can develop off shore where the eye and inner bands are and do damage from wind and the stronger the CAT the stronger the wider the swath of the outer bands and stronger the wind speed...

Our neighborhood in FL was on the west side of Irma as she came north after landfall around Naples
And there was less damage (although still plenty of physical damage) on west side than there was on east side of 75 which is where I was told the storm’s center went

It is all relative—
Maybe the NE quad is STILL the most damaging but if it is only over ocean what damage can be recorded?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Outer scattered rain band has heavy showers with it & moving onshore GA to NC. Hurricane force winds sitting just off the NE FL coast now...that will be moving onshore by SC and for NC likely though.

https://twitter.com/weathersources/s...44360199720960

Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
In this case per microwave imagery from Levi we see Dorian’s core still never fully recovered from staying in Bahamas, so it’s not a perfect circle at the eye structurally anymore, lopsided core but trying to recover over warm gulf stream current. But it’s out of time..being pulled by nearby weather systems, proximity to land and not a perfect core anymore.
Yes, Levi said/wrote that Dorian’s own slow speed apparently was big factor in its own vulnerability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes