U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 10:10 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,041,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
All I hear from so-called weather 'experts' is how hurricane forecasting has gotten better and better in the past few years.

Currently we are only about two days from an expected landfall for the most recent ‘Hurricane of the Century”, Dorian, SOMEWHERE on the coast of Florida, yet the ‘Cone of Uncertainty’ has not narrowed to a more precise target for days, but instead, has expanded to where it now encompasses the entire state of Florida, from Key West to Jacksonville, plus half of Georgia! And they tell us that Dorian could actually miss land entirely and stay offshore! So they have EVERYTHING covered! Well, I really think that I could have published that on my own by observing satellite images along with having lived in Florida for over fifty years!

This is not the first time where the ‘experts’ have directed people to take action based on a large amount of uncertainty. Remember when they had entire regions of people evacuate from East Florida to West only to reverse that decision!

So am I the only one who is completely unimpressed by the level of competence and usefulness of Hurricane Forecasting by the National Hurricane Center, Weather Channel, etc.? It seems like the ‘experts’ are just CYA, pushing sensationalism, and driving everyone in the Southeast crazy, racing around town clearing store shelves, and battling each other in line at the gas pumps. Makes you wonder if Home Depot, Lowes, and gas and water companies are behind this.

Maybe I’m jaded because I live in South Florida, and it seems to qualify as a weatherperson you have to be young, pretty, and wear revealing outfits while wearing high-heeled shoes, or be stupid enough to go outside during a hurricane and get blown around while admonishing others not to do EXACTLY that.
Me thinks you should go to meteorology school and impress everyone with your new found knowledge after you get out of school --- with or without a degree since you already seem to know a lot

Just turn the TV off, get off your media device, and prepare on your own for Dorian that has just become a CAT 5/180 MPH sustained/913 millibars. You should know the drill by now. Without all of the weather folks trying to "Mis-advise" you, as you think they do-----
Best of luck-----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 05:51 PM

2,328 posts, read 760,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I refuse to put on the Weather Channel. They do nothing but create a frenzy of fear for every single storm that hits the radar.

Obviously though, if you live in areas possibly affected then you should be aware and monitor the situation but there are so many more objective places to get your updates.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM

6,007 posts, read 7,281,661 times
Right now watching the idiot Jim Cantore from the weather channel standing on the edge of a wall overlooking the water while getting belted by waves. Meanwhile he is telling everyone watching to be careful because of how dangerous it is.
What an irresponsible a hole.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:40 PM
JRR

4,720 posts, read 2,742,024 times
Kind of funny about how many people seem to have this terrible dislike for The Weather Channel. Yet it also appears that they spend quite a bit of time watching it. Guess it is a complicated love/hate relationship

Old 09-03-2019, 04:51 PM

16,117 posts, read 10,915,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Kind of funny about how many people seem to have this terrible dislike for The Weather Channel. Yet it also appears that they spend quite a bit of time watching it. Guess it is a complicated love/hate relationship
I stopped watching it after 1988 when they took my music away during the forecast.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 PM

73,060 posts, read 56,477,410 times
Click and read this thread

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/1168912461451464704

Old 09-03-2019, 08:06 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,246,838 times
I don’t think weather forecasting in general has ever been seen as a paragon of accuracy. We call them weatherguessers for a reason.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 PM

4,896 posts, read 4,372,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I turned it on for the first time in about 6 years. Turned it off after a minute.

Utter rubbish.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM

10,361 posts, read 3,096,060 times
The way hurricanes are predicted is scattershot. There are almost 30 different algorithms/models to guess what the hurricane will do.

One of them? Will probably be right. It's a matter of statistics. The rest will be wrong. They ALL show different paths. If 1 model was consistently more accurate than the rest? We still wouldn't have the multiple models. We could refine that 1 model to make it more accurate. But that's not happening.

Humans' ability to predict hurricanes is the equivalent of throwing 30 different darts at 30 different dart boards from 30 different distances. It's just the way it is. To pretend otherwise is naive.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:42 PM

2,393 posts, read 1,695,587 times
Why would we think predicting hurricanes would be close to 100% or even 80% accuracy? The weather is a result of Earth's amazing atmosphere and not to mention, the weather on this planet is STABLE due to our moon. The interactions of physics, astronomy and other science makes it impossible to predict everything to your liking.

Can you imagine predicting weather on other planets that "wobble" on its axis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes