U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 07:06 PM

4,517 posts, read 9,008,077 times

Advertisements

We are not in the 'Cane, but like many of the post 'Cane storms we are starting to get our 'share' here at our Mtn home in the Mtns of western NC: ripping winds out of the S/SE/East and some wind driven rain, with much more to come tonight and tomorrow.

Having been 'up here' at ~5,000 ft elevation for the past 19 yrs, and having experienced the 'arms'/residuals of several hurricane remnants, it isn't much fun at this altitude. Not newsworthy 'Cane style, but beats us up pretty well, house included.

Thanks and kudos to the several top notch posters here, as usual...this 'Cane forum is top level esp compared to the 'weather channel' type stuff.
Thank you, stay safe and dodge TheCooties.
GL, mD
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 08:49 PM

5,268 posts, read 2,639,913 times
Aftermath aerial imagery has been posted by NOAA, zoom into the darker strips along the coast and water ways and they'll resolve into imagery taken by low flying aircraft. You can make before/after imagery or compare using google maps (or other) imagery. They may add additional photos in the coming days.
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/l....7632/-92.1217

Last edited by Psychoma; 08-28-2020 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 05:14 AM

75,696 posts, read 59,407,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Almost looks like it jogged north last hour from its NNW move. Center is almost there. Conditions deteriorating by the minute. Tornado warnings are the red boxes.
I saw that one as it was happening. Look at the track and you'll see the north move before landfall. Landfall location was slightly changed because of it. That last minute shift made the 20-30 mile difference on land.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:22 AM

Sat 29Aug 5aEDT/4aCDT - Laura officially becomes a Remnant Low, producing scattered rains and storms (some occasionally severe still, tornadoes will also be possible this afternoon) across portions of the East coast. An archive of NHC advisories can be found here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2020/LAURA.shtml? The history of NHC's cone map can be seen here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/202..._line_and_wind

Old 08-29-2020, 08:15 AM

4,730 posts, read 3,584,601 times
Got power back last night! Houses across the street from me still don't have power. Under a boil advisory.

I made it thru the hurricane alright. A lot of tree damage around with some on houses. Some buildings sustained roof and siding damage and fences down. Looks like damage gets worse as you head west from here.

Laura's winds were the most intense I've seen from a hurricane. The airport recorded gusts up to 86 mph! I recorded 5.69" of rain in my gauge from Laura.

Last edited by ral31; 08-29-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-29-2020, 09:03 AM

Glad you got power and made it ok. I see heat index well above 100 degrees across a large region today.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Glad you got power and made it ok. I see heat index well above 100 degrees across a large region today.
Heat index here forecast to be between 105-110F today (high 94F). I’m sure it would be miserable without AC.

Yesterday was cooler than normal - high was 86F. It wasn’t pleasant without AC but not as bad as it could have been.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:55 AM

12,065 posts, read 11,095,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Got power back last night! Houses across the street from me still don't have power. Under a boil advisory.

I made it thru the hurricane alright. A lot of tree damage around with some on houses. Some buildings sustained roof and siding damage and fences down. Looks like damage gets worse as you head west from here.

Laura's winds were the most intense I've seen from a hurricane. The airport recorded gusts up to 86 mph! I recorded 5.69" of rain in my gauge from Laura.
Do you have water? My dad finally had to evacuate because there was no water. One water plant was knocked out, the tower was destroyed and the other two are non operational. There is only one operational one in LC right now and so the water is a trickle. My dad decided to evacuate when he couldn't flush toilets. He didn't want to dig an outhouse outside.

My brother is still roughing it there. He goes to the bayou every morning and fills up water so he can flush his toilets (you don't need potable water to flush toilets). He has plenty of potable spring water for drinking and plenty of dry food.

My mom evacuated on Tuesday. She needs her creature comforts like A/C, running water, and open grocery stores.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:58 AM

12,065 posts, read 11,095,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Thanks for the added detailed info! That's quite a ways in for a deep draft channel. Didn't realize they had that many locks in place.
Yeah they improved a lot of the locks since Rita. That's something TWC and NWS doesn't know.

No doubt the pumping stations probably helped too.

When Katrina hit it was a failure of the levee walls and pumping stations that did them in. If the levee walls would've held and the pumps not lost power, there wouldn't have been any flooding.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Do you have water? My dad finally had to evacuate because there was no water. One water plant was knocked out, the tower was destroyed and the other two are non operational. There is only one operational one in LC right now and so the water is a trickle. My dad decided to evacuate when he couldn't flush toilets. He didn't want to dig an outhouse outside.

My brother is still roughing it there. He goes to the bayou every morning and fills up water so he can flush his toilets (you don't need potable water to flush toilets). He has plenty of potable spring water for drinking and plenty of dry food.
Water is running here. I thought I heard it was supposed to be cut off but it never did. Pressure was low yesterday but now it seems back to normal.

Glad your family did alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes