U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-26-2020, 05:48 AM
 
12,596 posts, read 10,226,872 times
Reputation: 17674

Advertisements

I’m in Carencro Louisiana (Lafayette Parish). Last year we moved into a home built in 1973. We’re not worried about flooding because of the home’s elevation. Our main concern is the trees in the yard of our backyard neighbors. Our home is insured, we don’t know about their home being insured. I’m glad I don’t have to work tonight. I work in a hospital boiler room which includes emergency generators. They have the full staff day maintenance crew staying overnight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2020, 06:07 AM
 
18,492 posts, read 12,121,914 times
Reputation: 6258
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m in Carencro Louisiana (Lafayette Parish). Last year we moved into a home built in 1973. We’re not worried about flooding because of the home’s elevation. Our main concern is the trees in the yard of our backyard neighbors. Our home is insured, we don’t know about their home being insured. I’m glad I don’t have to work tonight. I work in a hospital boiler room which includes emergency generators. They have the full staff day maintenance crew staying overnight.
Depends on the kind of tree i guess. Some don't take wind or the ground gets soft from being too wet. 120mph+ winds will do a number.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 06:21 AM
 
12,596 posts, read 10,226,872 times
Reputation: 17674
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Depends on the kind of tree i guess. Some don't take wind or the ground gets soft from being too wet. 120mph+ winds will do a number.
Some parts of the oak tree is dead. The home owner also just recently acquired the home. In his defense he’s already removed two of the more dead trees. I know doing this isn’t easy nor cheap so I’m glad to see he did make an effort.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 06:49 AM
 
Location: IN
22,166 posts, read 38,699,041 times
Reputation: 14775
It could easily be a 130 mph hurricane or greater before landfall, that would cause massive damage and flooding in addition to storm surge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 07:22 AM
 
5,240 posts, read 2,564,978 times
Reputation: 1728
Wed 8aEDT/7aCDT
Winds 115mph(185km)
Moving NW 15mph(24km/h)
Pressure 963mb
Center about 280miles(450km) SSE of Lake Charles, LA
Center about 290miles(465km) SE of Galveston, TX
Cat 3 now
Hurricane winds extend up to 70miles(110km) from center, TS winds 175miles(280km)

A buoy East of Laura’s center measured 74mph sustained winds, gust to 107mph and 37 foot waves.

Storm continues to intensify.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 08:57 AM
 
12,596 posts, read 10,226,872 times
Reputation: 17674
Oh no! Jim Cantore is in Lake Charles! That’s less than an hour from where I am!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 09:14 AM
 
5,240 posts, read 2,564,978 times
Reputation: 1728
Surge slowly beginning to rise parts of Louisiana. This can move up/down with tide cycles but overall water is beginning to be trapped by the corner of the Gulf coast. The most significant rise will occur as the Storm makes landfall but escape routes will begin to be cut off throughout the day in the region.
https://twitter.com/brennanmatherne/...94141249699840
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 09:18 AM
 
5,240 posts, read 2,564,978 times
Reputation: 1728
This is a great tool for monitoring surge heights, this is what I usually pull surge measurements from when storms landfall.
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/in...orm/Laura.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 09:30 AM
 
5,240 posts, read 2,564,978 times
Reputation: 1728
Well on our way to Cat4 at some point today:
https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/1298627717185904646
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
12,065 posts, read 10,948,862 times
Reputation: 7170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Surge slowly beginning to rise parts of Louisiana. This can move up/down with tide cycles but overall water is beginning to be trapped by the corner of the Gulf coast. The most significant rise will occur as the Storm makes landfall but escape routes will begin to be cut off throughout the day in the region.
https://twitter.com/brennanmatherne/...94141249699840
This is on LA1. The portion between Golden Meadow and Leeville floods. They raised the portion from Leeville to Fourchon, it is now an elevated highway.

They actually plan to raise that stretch to around 20 feet above sea level with a bridge, funds have already been approved. It's the only evacuation for Port Fourchon and Grand Isle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top