U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM

2,511 posts, read 1,592,727 times

Advertisements

I have a hotel picked out about 150 miles west of where we are.

I will be in my car and getting out of dodge if there is a big hurricane forecasted again (NJ)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 03:41 PM

20,871 posts, read 19,023,719 times
Like every year, I do nothing until it is forecasted to hit my area 3 to 4 days out.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,061,887 times
We replaced all our windows and doors with impact-resistant hurricane ones last week and an impact-resistant garage door put in the month before. This week a Kevlar roll down screen is being installed to cover the lanai opening.

Irma, could I use them for more than a week, please? The inspector hasn't even been out to verify they meet hurricane installation codes yet!

Old 09-05-2017, 07:18 AM

21,038 posts, read 21,422,934 times
Looks nasty no matter where it hits if it's going to but I'm selfishly hoping it doesn't get into the gulf.
I went to the store today very early today. Unless you hit it just right, it's too late to buy water, batteries and canned more nutritious food that can be eaten cold, like tuna.
No problem if you can eat Lil Debbies for a few days.
Like most, waiting a couple of more days to see just where Irma is heading but am making a list so that, if having to go to a friend's house that isn't in as much danger, I won't forget anything.
I will put important papers in water proof packaging since they can just be left in it anyway and am starting to make ice blocks, including refilling water bottles only mostly full.
The usual suggested things.
jean_ji....better to have all that to use all than not having done it yet. Uninspected should work just as well without the paperwork

Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,079,075 times
What I do to prepare:
I always grab water jugs each month. I have a bunch in a closet but those plastic jugs don't handle long term storage.
I fill a gallon jug with water and set it in my freezer. This year I put two in there, one for my fridge and one for my freezer, if and when I need them.
I'm always stocked up on pet food. I always have a few weeks supply on hand.
After IKE we filled our spare gas containers, usually spent $75.00 on gas each summer. We did that a few years but this year we didn't. Didn't need it, either even with going through Hurricane Harvey.

Preparing for Harvey
About the most pressing thing we did was get the drainage areas in our yard edged close so the water would drain.
Turned off our sprinklers at least 4 days before the storm came in. (We were having 90+ weather)
Washed dishes and laundry - All caught up in case the power goes.
Gassed up one car.
Grocery store
Filled empty water jugs
Kept up with the weather reports and news of the storm
Got on city-data and shared preparedness tips
Set out plastic buckets to keep track of the rainfall
Charged my camera battery (Yeah, it was out)

Old 09-08-2017, 11:10 AM
JRR

4,716 posts, read 2,742,024 times
We prepared by moving to Tennessee this year. First hurricane I went through was Cleo in 1964. Last year we were sitting there watching Matthew and wishing we had already moved. Dodged a bullet with him; now we are able to let friends and family in Florida know that they have a place to come to if needed. But they have decided to ride it out; they all know the drill.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:56 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,153,711 times
We weren't going to board up but a few of the neighbors got together and helped each other board up. It made everything go quickly. It's like living in a tomb, though.

If all goes accordingly to what they're forecasting now, we won't get hit head-on in Central Florida but we all know that things can change in a flash. The bands of heavy rain have been going by today. I guess there's a lot more rain coming.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 PM

72 posts, read 143,985 times
I'm going thru my non-perishable foods to be sure they not out of date. We always have plenty of water & batteries. We buy most of our hurricane supplies during the tax free day they have here in FL. Every year I buy a new supply of batteries but I keep the old ones cuz they usually still have power after a yr or two storage.
Helpful hint #1- It seems batteries last longer if you dont put them the flashlight or whatever until you need them.
Way back last week when Irma was 1st in the news (and still more than a week away from us) the ppl around here freaked out & started buying gas, water & non-perishable food like crazy. I was shopping for other things the other day, I went to 3 WalMarts & 2 Lowes & no one had any water, flashlights or coolers or gas.
The evacuees from the FL peninsula have filled up all the hotel rooms in the panhandle here so if we had to evacuate our only choice would be shelter in schools. There were so many from the peninsula needing a place to shelter they opened the schools for them, I'm glad they have a safe place to stay. I'm way up in the NW FL panhandle & we're only going to have winds gusty to 40mph Monday and only a 40% chance of rain.
Of course Irma could drift west & visit us. In 1985 Elana was heading for us so we went to Tallahassee, FL 3 hrs away Elana followed us so we went back home then I'll be damned if she didnt follow us home. We were exhausted so we passed out in bed at home & gave up.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,079,075 times
I pick up two gallon jugs of water on each grocery trip. I have quite a collection now. I also stock up on pet food and the pantry is full. Most forget to have a hand held can opener and not electric. And for my personal entertainment, I have a couple of kindles so if one runs out of juice, I can open up the next one.

Closer to a storm approaching we make sure the yard is mowed, cars are gassed, everything is handy and ready to grab if we need to evacuate.

At the beginning of hurricane season we used to fill up all our gas cans ($75) for hurricane preparedness. We never did use them so after a few years we stopped doing that.

I'm thinking a hatchet in the attic is a good idea. Something to break out onto the roof if you're trapped inside.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:11 AM

73,060 posts, read 56,477,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
What have YOU done to prepare for this year's hurricane season?

Bookmarked new websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Like every year, I do nothing until it is forecasted to hit my area 3 to 4 days out.
This.

But I'd push that out more. I like to prepare at least 7 days out but not do anything until 3-4 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes