U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,784,730 times

Advertisements

I live in a condo which only allows electric cooking so things like propane for the grill and gas generators are out.

I'm stocked in candles, canned foods, batteries, first aid stuff, water, and lots of beer.

Anything else I'm missing? Please share how you've prepared. Thanks!

Quote:
We hear a lot about the predictions for Hurricane Season. Just this week a prominent hurricane researcher called for at least 15 named storms, with four of those packing winds of at least 110 mph.

But I urge you not to get caught up in all of those numbers. The only number you need to remember is ONE. All it takes is one storm to make it a bad season. If that one storm doesn't come, we can safely call it a good summer...

South Florida Times: Miami , Broward, Palm Beach, Breaking News & Weather at SFLTimes.com - Get ready for hurricane season
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,497,440 times
Don't use Candles. Get battery operated lights (camping stuff.) Candles lead to fires.
Since you are in a condo, and can't have a propane grill. Why not try one of these charcoal grills. Sports Authority - Outdoors: Camping / Hiking: Grills: Weber Char Q Charcoal Grill

Did you place all your important files in a ziplock bag or a tubberware container? Garbage Bags, plastic plates, plastic silverware, and plastic cups you should also have. Do you have the medicines ready? Advil, Tylenol, etc. Before a storm I precook a few meals and stick them in the freezer. Then after a storm, I put them on the grill to heat. Before a storm I charge everything that needs to be charged to work.

All those with generators should start your generators up as a test now. Those with a yard make sure you have gloves for the yard, after a storm. I also have a blue tarp just incase, as they are hard to find after a storm.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-14-2008 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-14-2008, 11:51 AM

66 posts, read 300,158 times
Default Tightened up the shutters

I 've put some epoxy in some of the hurricane shutter openings that have come loose over the years.

Also, I have trimmed back every piece of vegetation to just about nothing so there is nothing available to fly around loose........

Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,731,549 times
Reviewed the checklists and we installed hurricane windows. Started to clear the backyard and garage just in case... Got extra canned food, water, and gas. Tested the generator and contacted our evacuation hotel to verify their cancellation and pet policy.

We are ready for the worst and hope for the best....

Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,784,730 times
thanks for your responses! My friend told me that after a hurricane, one of the toughest thing to get is gas because the stations don't have power.

I'm thinking of keeping my car near full everytime there's a system close by.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
thanks for your responses! My friend told me that after a hurricane, one of the toughest thing to get is gas because the stations don't have power.

I'm thinking of keeping my car near full everytime there's a system close by.

The state has a requirement for some gas stations to have generators so the prized fuel can be sold.

This is from 2007: Governor Jeb Bush signed legislation that required all Florida gas stations with 10 pumps or more to have generator hook ups.

Many Gas Stations Prepped For Hurricane - Miami Weather News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.local10.com/weather/13902269/detail.html - broken link)
HB 7121 - Disaster Preparedness Response and Recovery

Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
The state has a requirement for some gas stations to have generators so the prized fuel can be sold.

This is from 2007: Governor Jeb Bush signed legislation that required all Florida gas stations with 10 pumps or more to have generator hook ups.

Many Gas Stations Prepped For Hurricane - Miami Weather News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.local10.com/weather/13902269/detail.html - broken link)
HB 7121 - Disaster Preparedness Response and Recovery
Use the following link to find stations: Gas Station Compliance -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,224,297 times
we have our generator ready, tons of batteries, DH built a cistern system to catch rainwater to flush toilets, to spare the pump. I have 2 weeks worth of canned goods on hand, and purchased a dozen battery powered lamps. We also bought the cell phone charger things that use batteries. Of course, all our documents are in a safe place, meds are at the ready, and cash to last a week. Last but not least, all the kitties have their carriers ready, and food and other things for them if we are forced to bug out.
We went for 16 days without power twice in '04, it was a nightmare, we are NOT gonna let that happen again!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 PM

392 posts, read 1,148,163 times
I also live in a condo which means no generator. So this year I went out and bought a 1500 watt power inverter along with 2 x 105 amp batteries. This should give me enough power to run 1 or 2 cf lights, a fan or 2, tv, dvd player, some other small appliances, the laptop for after the storm.

I will be able to recharge the batteries if I need to from the Condo's main generator that powers the emergency lights and elevators in the building and rec room. Got permission from them to plug in and re-charge when I need to.

I have battery lanterns, flash lights, battery tv, battery fans, water, canned food, snacks, crackers, and enough non-perisable food to last a week.

Safe room has been prepared..........

Shutters have been checked and rechecked for proper operation.

I had window film put on all windows in January to help with sun and heat and spent the extra cash with Security Hurricane Film to add to the shutter protection.

Don't live in an evacuation zone so for a Cat 1 though Cat 5 I'm here to stay..............

Old 06-17-2008, 02:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,558,959 times
I have 2 months survival rations and 1 month's worth of wood and shredded tires to run the generator. Have two chanisaws, bobcat and dozer, as well as many spare parts. While I live in an evacuation zone, I will not leave unless its a 4 or greater and maybe not even then. Probably better to just get blown away instead of running and not being able to get back home. Once I was not able to return home by US-1 but I got in by boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes