U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:32 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,361,617 times

Advertisements

The nature of insurance I always thought is to spread the risk throughout the widest amount of people you have, to keep the cost down for all.

Here in New York, our rates went up after the Florida hurricanes......some here would say that was wrong, and some say that was B.S......but it did happen. I am NOT saying that it was wrong, I'm just stating a fact. I doubt that if there were no hurricane damage for the next few years they would lower rates.....

What has always irked me is that up here, when we have icestorms, all rates go up, although I've never ever placed a claim. Part of that reason is that I bought the best, strongest gutters and stormdoors at 3 times the cost, so they hold up in an icestorm. The people who put in claims are those who buy the $59 storm doors, then cry when they blow off.

Getting back to Florida, do you get a break on rates if you have hurricane shutters, stronger roofs, etc?? Just wondering.

BTW, I've been shopping for homeowners insurance for the new house.....boy it IS different down there......wide difference in prices, etc.

Thanks, Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 AM

41 posts, read 132,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
The nature of insurance I always thought is to spread the risk throughout the widest amount of people you have, to keep the cost down for all.

Here in New York, our rates went up after the Florida hurricanes......some here would say that was wrong, and some say that was B.S......but it did happen. I am NOT saying that it was wrong, I'm just stating a fact. I doubt that if there were no hurricane damage for the next few years they would lower rates.....

What has always irked me is that up here, when we have icestorms, all rates go up, although I've never ever placed a claim. Part of that reason is that I bought the best, strongest gutters and stormdoors at 3 times the cost, so they hold up in an icestorm. The people who put in claims are those who buy the $59 storm doors, then cry when they blow off.

Getting back to Florida, do you get a break on rates if you have hurricane shutters, stronger roofs, etc?? Just wondering.

BTW, I've been shopping for homeowners insurance for the new house.....boy it IS different down there......wide difference in prices, etc.

Thanks, Frank D.
An insurance co. should give you a discount for hurricane shutters. They are now required on new construction. Codes have improved to make homes more wind resistant, consequently rates are cheaper for newer homes. Insurance on a new home away from the coast is much cheaper than insurance on a similar but older home near the coast.

The state is now offering free home inspections in many counties to determine how to make your home more wind proof. You are then required to take the suggestions to your insurance co. for discounts if you make the improvements. The state then pays 1/2 the cost of any improvements you dicide to make. For info go to mysafefloridahome.com

The bottom line is that not all homes have the same wind resistance. Hurricane shutters, hip roofs, roof tie downs, wind resistant doors, etc. will all lower your insurance rate.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 AM

431 posts, read 2,009,325 times
Default Insurance Companies are FOR profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I personally met with Governor Crist last week and he has vowed not to raise taxes or put ANY of the burdens of the insurance crisis into any type of tax increase. I don't know why anyone would suggest that we, the people carry more of the burden (that should be placed on the insurance industry) back on to the citizens of this state in the form of taxes or any assessments. We take all the risk and pay all the premiums while the insurance industry is laughing all the way to the bank in the form of BILLIONS!! That's Billions with a "B" If they (the insurance industry) doesn’t want to be in the business of "risk" they should sell sneakers, not INSURANCE!

in·sur·ance defined: Coverage by a contract binding a party to indemnify another against specified loss in return for premiums paid.
Oh please, I know. I worked as an insurance adjuster for many many years, including State Farm. Let me tell you, they are in business to make money. Period. They will try to nickel & dime every single claim because it affects their bottom dollar. I totally agree with what you said. Everything is all well and good when they collect your premiums year after year, but as soon as you file a claim, they either increase your premium or drop you. What kind of contract is that?!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:03 PM

800 posts, read 2,874,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
An income tax is prohibited by the Florida Constitution. Politicians cannot impose one on their own; it would take consent of the voters, and I kinda think that might be difficult to achieve. I wouldn't worry about it, much.

I'm with you. I don't see voters seeking to change our Constitution to impose a State Income Tax here in Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or