Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,521,922 times

Advertisements

Oh please.......from a person who has spent the last few decades paying the highest taxes in the country....don't even think about it, Florida.
If you really do want a state income tax, New York has a nice big one for you....we can even trade houses.....

(to macguy.....I love my G4 "lamp", 2 powerbooks and the 5 ipods in my family....)

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 02:32 PM

13,589 posts, read 21,369,630 times
Im generally against government,usually it creates more problems then it fixes.In this case though,something does need to be done.

A state income tax is no solution though,it would still take money out of the peoples pockets,and once it starts there never seems to be a end to how much they need.Lesser of evils,I'd go with a higher sales tax.

This crisis needs to be resolved though,because as long as the Jones or err...the Lopez's are doing all they can do to not loose their house they won't pay that guy to cut the grass,hire the handyman to do fixes,spend money at the store,take that vacation and in the end the overall economy will suffer and everybody will be a little poorer...

I don't know how this will be resolved but hope it is soon.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,499,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Im generally against government,usually it creates more problems then it fixes.In this case though,something does need to be done.
It might be possible to restate that as, "I'm against government as long as it's taking money from me to help someone else, but if it helps me, go for it."

Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM

13,589 posts, read 21,369,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
It might be possible to restate that as, "I'm against government as long as it's taking money from me to help someone else, but if it helps me, go for it."

not true,I've never looked for ways to get money from the government to help me in any way.Not against others being helped but if we are gonna refer to greed,I refer to government greed that tends to manage and spend money unwisely and as a solution after doing that always wants to collect more.

In this insurance crisis though,this time it seems the free market and competition has failed.

adjusting property taxes would also help this overall situation but I have little hope of them doing that.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:31 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,074,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That will never happen for a number of reasons but just for the sake of conversation. Why would I want to pay a state income tax ear marked to help pay your insurance, what's in it for me? I own all my property free and clear and don't choose to carry insurance any more. How about renters, are they supposed to pay your insurance as well, they don't even own any property? It would be a ridiculous idea.

It depends on the whim of the FL government and politicans. Maybe it would help if there was a demostration rally protesting the idea of a state income tax. But an increase in sales tax will be bad for all of us. Basically it takes the cost of hurricane insurance and transfers it to sales tax. We still lose

Old 01-18-2007, 04:39 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,183,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
It depends on the whim of the FL government and politicans. Maybe it would help if there was a demostration rally protesting the idea of a state income tax. But an increase in sales tax will be bad for all of us. Basically it takes the cost of hurricane insurance and transfers it to sales tax. We still lose
I believe it would require a vote.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 PM

41 posts, read 144,240 times
Hopefully the Florida electorate will never approve of a state income tax.
If it came down to choosing the lesser of two evils, I would prefer a sales tax which would be more evenly distributed. Many people avoid paying federal and state taxes on all or part of their income, leaving the honest taxpayer to pick up the slack.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 PM

251 posts, read 885,075 times
I personally met with Governor Crist last week and he has vowed not to raise taxes or put ANY of the burdens of the insurance crisis into any type of tax increase. I don't know why anyone would suggest that we, the people carry more of the burden (that should be placed on the insurance industry) back on to the citizens of this state in the form of taxes or any assessments. We take all the risk and pay all the premiums while the insurance industry is laughing all the way to the bank in the form of BILLIONS!! That's Billions with a "B" If they (the insurance industry) doesn’t want to be in the business of "risk" they should sell sneakers, not INSURANCE!

in·sur·ance defined: Coverage by a contract binding a party to indemnify another against specified loss in return for premiums paid.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,900,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I personally met with Governor Crist last week and he has vowed not to raise taxes or put ANY of the burdens of the insurance crisis into any type of tax increase. I don't know why anyone would suggest that we, the people carry more of the burden (that should be placed on the insurance industry) back on to the citizens of this state in the form of taxes or any assessments. We take all the risk and pay all the premiums while the insurance industry is laughing all the way to the bank in the form of BILLIONS!! That's Billions with a "B" If they (the insurance industry) doesn’t want to be in the business of "risk" they should sell sneakers, not INSURANCE!

in·sur·ance defined: Coverage by a contract binding a party to indemnify another against specified loss in return for premiums paid.
If they (the insurance industry) doesn’t want to be in the business of "risk" they should sell sneakers, not INSURANCE!
No oil.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,082,348 times
FL has to change the way insurance co's do business in Fl.They need to find a way to draw more competition here. Price fixing is never an answer with the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes