Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

The below is what someone I know said. I read in the newspaper about the Tallahassee meeting and if they lower citizen's insurance, they must raise taxes to subsidize the insurance. We will still pay, just in a different way besides hurricane insurance

Do you think this trend will accelerate when Florida gets a state income tax?

The state income tax is inevitable, as more people look to government to subside the insurance crisis.

Wait until another hurricane hits and Citizens can not cover the payout to policyholders. That money has to come from somewhere and it will come from a state sales tax or continued assessments to homeowners.

State income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Don't even give them that idea. That's a money pit that states like. It's like a sales tax that never goes away and always is increased. We pay enough into the fed government. it's time we all get some back. They give it to other countries and then forgive the debt. Then they lend it to us with interest and put you in jail if you don't pay it back!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The below is what someone I know said. I read in the newspaper about the Tallahassee meeting and if they lower citizen's insurance, they must raise taxes to subsidize the insurance. We will still pay, just in a different way besides hurricane insurance

The state income tax is inevitable, as more people look to government to subside the insurance crisis.

Wait until another hurricane hits and Citizens can not cover the payout to policyholders. That money has to come from somewhere and it will come from a state sales tax or continued assessments to homeowners.

State income tax.
I think its a bad Idea. But the big thing on the table is to rise the auto insurance to help pay for the home insurance. We will pay for it its just how. Will Florida get a state income tax ?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:31 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I think its a bad Idea. But the big thing on the table is to rise the auto insurance to help pay for the home insurance. We will pay for it its just how. Will Florida get a state income tax ?
As a Floridian, I understand that you are concerned about a State income tax, I am as well. But, maybe that would be better for Florida in the long run, maybe so many people would stop moving here. Maybe illegals would go to another State. (not sure how that would work, since they are illegal, how do they get paid anyway?) I think they would raise the state sales tax first, that affects many more people. Think about that...so many people in Florida are retired-right? Tourists already pay higher bed taxes. We have had it made for a long time. I hear Cheyenne, Wy. is a good place to live. No state income tax.
Did anyone know that some of Florida's gas taxes goes to help other States roads? I about fainted when I heard about that one! Our roads are so dangerous, with the lack of them, and other areas are getting our tax dollars!

Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
An income tax is prohibited by the Florida Constitution. Politicians cannot impose one on their own; it would take consent of the voters, and I kinda think that might be difficult to achieve. I wouldn't worry about it, much.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
As a Floridian, I understand that you are concerned about a State income tax, I am as well. But, maybe that would be better for Florida in the long run, maybe so many people would stop moving here. Maybe illegals would go to another State. (not sure how that would work, since they are illegal, how do they get paid anyway?) I think they would raise the state sales tax first, that affects many more people. Think about that...so many people in Florida are retired-right? Tourists already pay higher bed taxes. We have had it made for a long time. I hear Cheyenne, Wy. is a good place to live. No state income tax.
Did anyone know that some of Florida's gas taxes goes to help other States roads? I about fainted when I heard about that one! Our roads are so dangerous, with the lack of them, and other areas are getting our tax dollars!
Is it state taxes that help other states, or federal taxes? I don't understand at all how our state taxes go to other states when we need more/better roads! And, just for the fun of it, I looked at the weather in Cheyenne, WY and here's the forecast:
Tonight: Partly cloudy and windy during the evening followed by some snow showers after midnight. Low 13F. WNW winds at 25 to 40 mph, diminishing to 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
Tomorrow: Abundant sunshine. Cold. High 23F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Tomorrow night: Clear. Low 7F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.
Friday: Abundant sunshine. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the mid teens.

Maybe it's a good place to be about June! Even though I love many parts of Wyoming, I know I couldn't do winters there.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Is it state taxes that help other states, or federal taxes? I don't understand at all how our state taxes go to other states when we need more/better roads! And, just for the fun of it, I looked at the weather in Cheyenne, WY and here's the forecast:
Tonight: Partly cloudy and windy during the evening followed by some snow showers after midnight. Low 13F. WNW winds at 25 to 40 mph, diminishing to 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
Tomorrow: Abundant sunshine. Cold. High 23F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Tomorrow night: Clear. Low 7F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.
Friday: Abundant sunshine. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the mid teens.

Maybe it's a good place to be about June! Even though I love many parts of Wyoming, I know I couldn't do winters there.
That puts it into perspective. LOL. Not sure if I could myself, I do know that I am so tired of Florida heat. I like snow, but if I had to get out and shovel it, no.
I am pretty sure that it is State sales tax on gas that goes to other areas.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM

168 posts, read 762,891 times
i can tell you it's no fun paying both the feds and the state at tax time (or out of each paycheck, as the case may be.)

i am currently in oregon. i hate the state income tax. they even sucked it up when i had to get some of my retirement money out of my state of florida retirement account. and not one dime of my florida retirement had anything to do with oregon...and it was NOT taxed in florida. but oregon took their share just the same. and they took it before i got MY check - florida was obligated to pay oregon before they paid me.

oregonians think they are well off because they have no sales tax. you would think that would mean lower food stuffs, lower gas, lower everything. but of course not. i pay more here for food, for gas, for restaurants (even mcdonalds) than i ever paid in florida. wouldn't be so bad but salaries here are about the same as in florida - indeed, i made MORE in florida than i have here.

so NO to state income tax in florida. make the insurance companies do what they are supposed to do - pay when there is damage on a policy you've been paying into for years. they whine "oh, we're bankrupted!" but last night i heard that the insurance companies in florida still realized a profit in the BILLIONS for 2006.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
And in today's Orlando Sentinel, it says that the CEO of Allstate had to take a reduced bonus last year -- to only $11,000,000. And State Farm's CEO received a slight increase to some over $6,000,000. Doesn't sound like they're exactly hurting, does it?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

State income tax.
That will never happen for a number of reasons but just for the sake of conversation. Why would I want to pay a state income tax ear marked to help pay your insurance, what's in it for me? I own all my property free and clear and don't choose to carry insurance any more. How about renters, are they supposed to pay your insurance as well, they don't even own any property? It would be a ridiculous idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes