Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

a generator is worth the investment, even if it's just a 2500 k it's enough to run the fridge a few lights and the water pump.. after hurricane hugo we had no generator and after a week without power we finally got a 4500 k., we were out of power for 3 months after hugo. we've been thru so many here we finaly had it hooked up to the main with a 6000 k generator,, works great we just went 3 days without public power with hurricane earl.. if you don't have a generator buy a large marine cooler, ice can last up to 5 days in a good cooler..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
I'm gonna add my vote on the generator. I have 2 ... a 6750 watt and a 5500 watt. We were without power 17 days after Rita and 8 after Ike. I keep 100 gallons of gas starting in July thru Oct. too. I am set up to run my big generator to my breaker box and it'll run freezer, fridg, HW heater and lights. Just have to be cautious and not run too much stuff at one time as it'll put too much strain on the generator.

I also have 3 outside propane burners and the grill. A gas stove would be nice if its not too hot in the house. After Rita it was so hot/humid we had trouble sleeping until I set up one of the small window units in our bedroom. I'm on a water well so my 2nd generator runs it. As long as I have fuel I'm OK.

Ditto to the post about not being prepared for the devastation.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No way I am storing that much gasoline for that long;besides it being illegal where I live. I want to get a natural gas whole house generator personally.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 197,342 times
you have to get all your clothes washed before the hurricane starts, so if you do lose power, atleast you have clean clothes (assuming your house isnt blown over or flooded). since there's no air-conditioning, the best thing to do after the storm is to stay outside in the shade and CHILL, since it gets too hot to stay inside. hopefully if the water is still on, you can take showers (cold). sometimes, its better just to leave the area until the power comes back on. if it gets too hot during the day, me and my family would take a drive around town (if its not demolished and roads are still up) with the air condition on full blast, quite refreshing

Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
We all just gather 'round the fire and have a good old game of craps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes