Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Assuming you do not have a generator, but you do have your hurricane supplies
ready (food, manual can opener, water, pet food, meds, flashlight, batteries, radio, tarp, tools, toilet paper, paper towels - Is there something else you need?), how do you get by without power? Will a gas stove work? Forgive my ignorance, but I really have no hurricane experience and want to get educated
before I move to Florida. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
We were hit by Hurricane Charley in Punta Gorda on August 13, 2004. We didn't have power for almost 2 weeks. It was HORRIBLE. GET A GENERATOR AS FAST A POSSIBLE.
You should not be without one in Florida. The first few days were terrible. It was hot and humid and just plain disgusting. We had water but needed ice to keep it cold.. couldn't wash clothes, take a shower, etc. Big deal, we had food... but you can't cook it if you don't have a gas stove. The BBQ was ok but it was so darn hot out that we didn't want to cook out there. We were worn out and just ended up driving about 40 min. or more to Sarasota for something to eat at night and to cool off.
When we finally got the generator about 5 days after the hurricane, it made life a bit easier, but not by much...
Just be prepared and get that generator!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times
If at all possible get a generator.

Try to buy one of those small camp stoves if one isn't available try to get charcoal for the grill. Fill your tub with water use this to flush the toilet with a bucket just pour the water in the toilet from using the bucket. Have plenty of water for drinking. Make sure your car is full of gas.

A coleman camp stove like one of these found at a local walmart store. I have one that will run on propane or gas.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+stove&x=0&y=0

Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Food & water yes. Generator depends. I don't have one and there are other priorities. After getting hit the first time 3 times in over 40 years in '04 and doing without power a few days I did get one for Charley damage. What you have to also consider is that after the next 2 that hit the same area the power was off very little for most of us. Charley had done the damage and there where not that many weakend trees to blow over on the powerlines. Camp stove is a good idea along with a gas grill. A lot of prep will depend on what part of the state you choose to live in to. There is a lot of difference in say Lakeland that's inland than any coastal city. We were so blessed with the out of state utilites that came to the rescue in '04 and they were so appreciated. One thing that is especially handy to have are marked and precut window boards if you don't have special storm shutters installed. Once the warning goes up plywood disappears rapidly along with the generators. A plan for any type of lawn furniture that needs to be put out of harms way is needed to. There are many little things in getting ready for the big blow. If you have pets then that needs to be a consideration. If you need to evacuate what is going to be your destination and route. Drive it and get familar with it. Biggest thing is don't let them worry you. Common safety goes a long way with a hurricane. HTH.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times
You prepare, prepare, prepare. Not everyone can afford a generator, but you should have food on hand that doesn't require heating or cooking..shelf food that needs no refrigeration, i.e., canned meats-tuna, chicken, etc.; canned stews, veggies, etc. Having a camp stove is good, it will allow you to heat food or water (for baths). Things like washing clothes will have to wait, or you drive to a location that has power. And don't forget all the other important things that go into a hurricane survival pack--medications, battery radio, batteries, flashlight or lamps--but I think you've probably got that covered. Prior to the storm coming onshore, fill the bathtub with water for flushing or washing. The worst thing after a hurricane is having to adjust to not having air conditioning. Having a rv, even a pop-up camper, that has a.c. will be of big help. But remember, air conditioning wasn't always around...and you, too, can survive not having it, you'll just be very uncorfortable and very, very thankful when the power comes back! Think of it as a camping adventure and don't worry too much.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Go to a marine supply store and buy some battery powered fans. They are worth their weight in gold.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
On another thought about hurricanes and power outages. I would think that a lot of the same type preps used for winter storms and power outages would apply for hurricanes too. I'm more concerned about the possible lose of power once I get move to the midwest or ozark region than I am of the hurricanes threats here in FL now. Hurricanes can be so devasting that the threat of one needs to be heeded and taken seriously even if it is thought to be a minimal cat 1. Seems like some folks in S FL learned that the hard way a couple of years ago. I think she was named Wilma. Not sure though.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Lillybeans took the words right out of my mouth. We were without power for a week after Charley in '04. Our entertainment was a battery powered radio that played tapes for my children, handwashing clothes in cold water and hanging them on the line in the hallway, cold showers, sleeping in the living room because that's where the most breeze moved, milk in coolers--everything you would do for camping. We were fortunate to have water. So many did not. We have a generator now. We humbly bowed to and praised the linemen working to restore power.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I built a generator fueled by hurricane debris. Also I keep a two-month supply of necessities and a one month supply of food, including canned and frozen meats. I do also have a spare smaller propane powered generator if the bigger 12Kw one fails. Because I live in a virtual desert I do keep a full cistern which has about one month of water even if there is no rain. Reverse osmosis filters could produce water from the salty aquifer in a real emergency. My favorite hurricane hardware is the Bobcat. I can use it to gather fuel and trade work for supplies or money.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,440 times
If possible get a generator...... and hurricane shutters if the place you buy does not have them already. It's an expense, but worth it's weight in gold.

Besides what you mentioned... some additional items:
Battery operated lanterns
Propane camping stove
Battery operated fans
Good size cooler (pack with ice prior to storm)
Disposible plates, knives, forks, cups etc.
Insect repellant
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid Kit
Good pair of work gloves
Sun Screen

The battery operated items I mentioned can be bought in the camping section of a Super Walmart, Super Target of Sports Authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes