U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM

196 posts, read 666,550 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I have some questions regarding people who suffer from claustrophobia and/or panic attacks.

I developed claustrophobia during an MRI. Since then, I have had panic attacks when I feel like I am unable to breathe (e.g., snorkeling) or unable to see outside (e.g., inside cabin on a cruise ship).

We are planning to relocate to Central Florida and was wondering how claustrophobics deal with being in homes with their windows boarded up with plywood or shutters. Just thinking about it makes me have heart palpitations.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

iuki
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:14 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,406,071 times
I don't have claustrophobia but I can't stand not being able to see outside. I think there are a large number of people who don't want to be boarded up inside. There are at least two ways to deal with the issue;
1) lexan clear hurricane panels or
2) high impact glass.
Neither option is cheap. I decided to go with the Lexan which ran about $10 a square ft plus installation. I did the install so just blood sweat and tears.
My mother-in-law keeps the Lexan panels up on the front of her house year round.

Whenever using hurricane panels make sure you have a way out of the house and that everyone in the house knows the evacuation route. People can get disoriented in an emergency and forget that all the doors and window have panels and the only way out is through the garage.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 PM

10,604 posts, read 15,284,285 times
Funny you mention that. I don't get panic attacks but I refuse to snorkel and I don't even like a sheet completely covering me in bed. I sit in my living room with the patio verticals OPEN all night when I'm up because the room doesn't have a window and I can't stand the feeling of being in a "box". It's a new construction to save energy but I rent, I'd never buy a house without alot of windows.

Anyway, no way am I staying in the house during a storm. You can go to a hotel OR drive up real quick to Georgia. Georgia is my plan, it's not far, and you get enough notice. I also live with two small birds who's entire metabolism revolves around natural daylight and I'd never do that to them.

Some builders here offer new homes with a "safe room" during hurricanes. OMG I could NEVER go in one. Besides the feeling, who wants to be stuck in there, what if the house collapses around you or something? LOL

Nope, it's Georgia for me....

Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Funny you mention that. I don't get panic attacks but I refuse to snorkel and I don't even like a sheet completely covering me in bed. I sit in my living room with the patio verticals OPEN all night when I'm up because the room doesn't have a window and I can't stand the feeling of being in a "box". It's a new construction to save energy but I rent, I'd never buy a house without alot of windows.

Anyway, no way am I staying in the house during a storm. You can go to a hotel OR drive up real quick to Georgia. Georgia is my plan, it's not far, and you get enough notice. I also live with two small birds who's entire metabolism revolves around natural daylight and I'd never do that to them.

Some builders here offer new homes with a "safe room" during hurricanes. OMG I could NEVER go in one. Besides the feeling, who wants to be stuck in there, what if the house collapses around you or something? LOL

Nope, it's Georgia for me....
To runswithscissors:

Good idea! If we move to Jacksonville, we'll be real close to Georgia. We are still tossed between Oviedo and Jacksonville.

I agree with you, there is NO WAY I'd go into a "safe room".

To FL BOB:

Thanks for your response. Your suggestion regarding an evacuation route is very much appreciated. We will check into both hurricane window products. Again, thanks.

iuki

Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 PM

8,178 posts, read 17,053,554 times
Well our house was built in the early 70's and has only 3 windows directly on the outside.
the others are all under overhangs....two sets of sliding glass doors are on the patio which has a roof over it and the front window are in an alcove.
We do have some windows on the back side but they set in about 6 inches.
One the 3 vulnerable ones, we figure what the hay, they need replaced anyway so we don't board them.....ok ok we're not that brave, we do tack down the curtains to minimize and damage from flying glass.
So these are the only windows covered.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,550,850 times
I prefer to put up the shutters and start the generator, then go online as long as the internet keeps working. Once in a while I looked at the cameras to see what's going on outside. It's too exciting to sleep through and I am ready with the Bobcat to get right to cleaning up!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I prefer to put up the shutters and start the generator, then go online as long as the internet keeps working. Once in a while I looked at the cameras to see what's going on outside. It's too exciting to sleep through and I am ready with the Bobcat to get right to cleaning up!
Always good to hear from those who make lemonade when given lemons.

iuki

Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,452,629 times
One word: booze. Drink it.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 PM

307 posts, read 2,005,742 times
I have anxiety and panic attacks as well. i can honestly say, i am more anxious if i am not at my home. i have made a beautiful and serene home for myself, and how i have coped with them is by lighting some yankee candles, getting into comfy PJ's, and be with my family. I like the central Fl area because we are in the middle of the coasts too. i have never had a panic attack during a storm, and believe me, i quite prone! i know the boarded up windows (aren't all the time), and only temporary. As they say, the storm shall pass, and i remind myself that when i lived up north, i was inside all the time during the snow storms. i hope that helps! you're not alone!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 PM

206,678 posts, read 79,956,365 times
Some friends & a couple hundred pounds of junk food with so so many gallons of tea and coffee and you have a real party going. No time to worry. Forget the booze. Stay sober. Your life may depend on being sober and making sound judgments. Preparation and attention to what is happening is rule number one. I stay awake and watch until I get sleepy and then let the howling wind sing me to sleep. Hope you find this encouraging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes