Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 PM

40 posts, read 191,126 times

Advertisements

We have just arrived in Naples and are house hunting while staying in an extended stay hotel which is located a mile or less from the beach (rt 41 naples).

I've bought some bottled water...what else should we do to prepare in case things get bad? I'll talk to the hotel people later today, just wanted to see if anyone here has any advice. Does power generally go out if it is a category 1 or is it impossible to say?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:46 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Tallrick has a well built, concrete house....no worries......

Frank D.
Thanks for telling me who to start rubbing shoulders with.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 22,350 times
So, at what projected wind speed do we actually have to put up hurricane shutters? I have no idea what our home (built in dec 2005) can easily withstand.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:38 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yes, I have a house 14 feet above ground on 15 columns drilled into the limestone of Key Largo. It does not even have settling cracks. If a hurricane is strong enough to destroy this place, nothing else will survive. Even the floors and roof are poured concrete, and I have over a month's worth of stored food, and a boat to get some more if necessary. Also have a nice RO unit in case the water supply gets cut off of the cistern gets contaminated with salt water. If I stay in Florida eventually this place will be tested.
Tallrick,

that is awesome. I also designed and built my own home up here in NY, (soon to be a full time floridian). I have my own automatic whole house generator to fight our icestorms, computer run skylights, (close automatically when the first drop of rain hits), etc,etc...I think we would enjoy being neighbors.

I pray all is well with everyone down there. i'm a tad worried about my Florida house, but when you are 1300 miles away, nothing you can do. thank God for great neighbors....I wish I WAS down there.

Frank D.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I am in Naples. I am supposed to go for inservice training for school tomorrow 25 miles away. I have heard they have closed the schools for the next 2 days in the Keys and Miami. NOTHING here, yet we here, like the Keys, have a hurricane watch on, unlike the Miami area which has tropical storm watch.

What gives? Well, for thing we now have a Superintend of Schools from Illinois. Has he ever seen a hurricane in Illinois? Even I have coming from New York (Gloria).

I guess I will just stay home and inside tomorrow, whatever they say.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default My husband was in Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by janp View Post
We have just arrived in Naples and are house hunting while staying in an extended stay hotel which is located a mile or less from the beach (rt 41 naples).

I've bought some bottled water...what else should we do to prepare in case things get bad? I'll talk to the hotel people later today, just wanted to see if anyone here has any advice. Does power generally go out if it is a category 1 or is it impossible to say?

THANKS!
for Wilma. He lost power for about 4 days. His area got it back at lot fast than other areas, including where he works. That took about 7 days he said.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:50 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
The most important thing is for you to be in a safe location. Maybe between now and tomorrow morning someone can clue in the Superintendent of Schools in your area about just what a hurricane or tropical storm can do. Good luck to you.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janp View Post

THANKS!
Yes, power can go out for a Cat 1 or even a Tropical Storm, just depends on what disrupts the power getting to your house. This thread we discussed //www.city-data.com/forum/hurri...are-years.html to help you prepare. Welcome to Florida Hopefully this is my last Hurricane Season.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:13 PM

262 posts, read 937,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flborn View Post
So, at what projected wind speed do we actually have to put up hurricane shutters? I have no idea what our home (built in dec 2005) can easily withstand.
Where are you located - close to any of the watch areas? If so, you may wish to put them up. In addition to the possibility of hurricane-force winds, we may also experience tornados.

The model tracks shifted eastward earlier today, only to start shifting back west later. One problem seems to be that Fay moved a bit farther WNW than originally thought. So if in, or near, the Cone, it's best to be prepared.

As of the 5:00pm advisory, Hurricane Watch has been extended up to Tarpon Springs. Stay Safe, everyone.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:37 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Once again i'm not in the area, but do have relatives there so im watching this for their sake.

Looks like this storm might get a little stronger then first thought, the nhc issued a new projected path for this one.

Tropical Storm FAY

Looks like it will make landfall at about Cedar Key, meaning it will have more time over water to strengthen, the new path shows it being a Hurricane for a longer period of time. So watch out for tornados in the outerbands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes