Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 12:49 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,310 times

Advertisements

As luck would have it, my husband and I will be moving from FL to CA this weekend, and need to go right through Texas. We HAVE to be in L.A. by Friday, so I could only push off driving through the state to Monday. It looks like the hurricane will be hitting sometime on Sat., and then moving through the state all weekend.

Do you think we will be safe driving though on Monday? How fast do hurricanes move when going over land? Another fear I have is that we will be trying to get through the state when all of the coastal evacuees are trying to get home - causing a major traffic jam.

Our car is older and will be pulling a trailer, so I can't risk getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and having the car overheat (I also have animals). What does everything think? Safe to go through on Monday or not? We can't really go north of TX too much because we would just meet the storm up there. I am freaking out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 03:54 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
You should be ok by Monday, just watch the weather and check it on the internet. Good luck!! Just remember, turn around don't drown.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,493,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
As luck would have it, my husband and I will be moving from FL to CA this weekend, and need to go right through Texas. We HAVE to be in L.A. by Friday, so I could only push off driving through the state to Monday. It looks like the hurricane will be hitting sometime on Sat., and then moving through the state all weekend.

Do you think we will be safe driving though on Monday? How fast do hurricanes move when going over land? Another fear I have is that we will be trying to get through the state when all of the coastal evacuees are trying to get home - causing a major traffic jam.

Our car is older and will be pulling a trailer, so I can't risk getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and having the car overheat (I also have animals). What does everything think? Safe to go through on Monday or not? We can't really go north of TX too much because we would just meet the storm up there. I am freaking out!
If this storm makes landfall as strong as they are predicting there will no doubt be power outages along I-10, keep a close eye on your gas as it may become difficult to get in some areas. good luck

Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,146,875 times
If I-10 becomes a problem, you can always head up I-49 in Louisana to I-20, then head west on I-20 till in meets back up with I-10 in west Texas. Its out of the way but its an option in case I-10 becomes a non-option. I believe the storm is suppose to be out of the northern part of Texas by Monday also. Hope things go well for your move.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
You can always go through Dallas, Wichita Falls, Amarillo and then head west if need be.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You can always go through Dallas, Wichita Falls, Amarillo and then head west if need be.
Yes, I don't expect much more than some heavy rain up here in North Texas. (And that's predicted on Saturday, not Monday) What part of Texas were you planning on traveling through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes