U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM

980 posts, read 2,970,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
It was just on the Weather Channel's, "It can happen tomorrow," the other day, about Savannah - how Savannah has lucked out for so long. It seems Savannah has dodged the bullet for quite a long while. With the way Africa is kicking out the waves, it's starting to remind me of those baseball machines at the batting cages.
I was watching the same thing, and normally I hate shows like that but since it was the holiday weekend I caught the last 30 minutes of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,250,450 times
Yeah, every season we are reminded that we have been lucky and we are past due for one. Over and over again. It always makes me think of the story about the little boy that cried "Wolf." The last really bad one was in 1893. We had a CAT 1 (maybe it was a 2) in 1979.

I think we will get a lot of rain and wind out of Hanna, but it's too soon to be definite. The 2:00pm computer models do show more of an agreement for this section of the coast.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:21 PM

24,181 posts, read 20,870,687 times
I have talked with my daughter two times today. She and the children are safe in Dallas. Except my 11 yr old grandaughter knowcked out her two front teeth in the swimming pool last night! I told daughter there are 4 or 5 more storms brewing and they may need to do this again pretty soon! I made arrangements with her to let me know as soon as they need to evac and I will wire down money to her town so they can flee again if need be. God Bless Western Union.

I wonder if any of these storms will make it up the east coast here to Mass.? It's been a little while since we had a good blow. This is making me remember to buy some batteries for my flashlights! Hope everyone in the path of these storms stays safe.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 PM

43,856 posts, read 45,995,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
It's been a little while since we had a good blow.
I had to read that line twice.............

Seriously, I'm glad your family is safe. How is your granddaughter and what are they going to do about the missing teeth? Poor thing.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,273,882 times
I really like looking at the National Hurricane site. It is pretty easy to understand. When you look at the 5 day outlook and they put that white circle around it what does that mean. I see as for now where it has headed. I know at some point yeswterday the circle was over more . We are in Noth Carolina. I would assume that the circle means that the states in that circle could experience some effects. THey said it could come in as a 3. Wold there be evacuations as there was for Gustav/ Also how close does it need to get because they put out warnings for everyone.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I really like looking at the National Hurricane site. It is pretty easy to understand. When you look at the 5 day outlook and they put that white circle around it what does that mean. I see as for now where it has headed. I know at some point yeswterday the circle was over more . We are in Noth Carolina. I would assume that the circle means that the states in that circle could experience some effects. THey said it could come in as a 3. Wold there be evacuations as there was for Gustav/ Also how close does it need to get because they put out warnings for everyone.
That area is the cone of uncertainty, basically meaning the storm could make landfall at anywhere within those areas. That is for the 5 day tract.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM

17,835 posts, read 30,696,604 times
Ike is now a tropical storm

and they said "he looks healthy"

Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Brand new update on Hurricane Hanna, winds now at 80mph ans the pressure is dropping. The updated path shows a direct hit on Savannah though this will likley change.

Do we know the condition of the levees are in Savannah, and how will Okefenokee swamp react??

Old 09-01-2008, 05:06 PM

10,280 posts, read 21,177,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
The updated path shows a direct hit on Savannah though this will likley change.

Do we know the condition of the levees are in Savannah, and how will Okefenokee swamp react??
Levees? We don't really have any. The Okefenokee Swamp will love it. You realize it's about 100 miles away from Savannah, don't you?

In a big storm at high tide, much of the city will flood, not because we're below sea level, just because much of the county is fairly low. Downtown and the historic district will be safe from flooding, for the most part. The suburbs and the islands will have problems if the storm is greater than a Category 2.

A friend and I were talking about the direct hit theory just yesterday. You really want to be the first projected location for landfall because the weather prophets are almost always 100% wrong.

One of my biggest concerns is about our trees. Looking around you can tell we haven't had many major storms in decades. If we're hit, it will be more than sad.

As for myself, I have flood insurance and live in an area that is not likely to flood except in an extreme situation. More than likely the event will be windy and wet and hopefully not much more.

Last edited by ellie; 09-01-2008 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 05:33 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,829,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
To add to what JerichoHW said. Although the states in the circle can be effected by the storm that's not exactly what it represents. The white circle is the "cone of uncertainty" it shows the potential hurricane track. Hanna could go as far west as the left line, as far east as the right line or somewhere in the middle.

As for evacuations, your local city/county government will issue them as needed. If evacuation orders are given, you will hear about on tv and on the radio. Don't worry you won't miss them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes