U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 PM

10,278 posts, read 21,173,709 times

Advertisements

We all had to evacuate a number of years ago when Floyd came by. Traffic was insane due to the fact that almost everyone left home at 12 noon and tried to get onto the same highway.

Depending on the projected strength of the storm, I may or may not stay. The trouble with staying is the fact that we may not have electricity for days.

Went through that twice when I lived in FL. Quite entertaining, that was.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM

980 posts, read 2,970,506 times
Ah Okefenokee Swamp, always wanted to go there. I think they should make it a national park but a NWR is fine. Anyways back on topic, glad to here about the not many levee thing.

levee danger list:

http://www.hq.usace.army.mil/cepa/re.../leveelist.pdf

Last edited by JerichoHW; 09-01-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 AM

28 posts, read 271,987 times
I'm an Oke swamp rat! Have paddled the canoe trails and camped on the platforms many times! Fall is normally low water time in the swamp, so a good tropical storm will keep the canoe trails open longer.
As for Hanna - this morning's track has her steering more into SC with my area now being targeted for the right upper quadrant. People aren't freaking out yet, but we'll be getting our water jugs out of the attic tonight just in case.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 AM

206,741 posts, read 79,975,057 times
Everyone on the east coast needs to take another look. The 11 AM has her hitting around Jacksonville and following the coast up to the South Carolina. Current track has her dissecting NC and moving on to jump water on all of New England.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM

24,180 posts, read 20,868,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I had to read that line twice.............

Seriously, I'm glad your family is safe. How is your granddaughter and what are they going to do about the missing teeth? Poor thing.
LOL GloryB! My daughter can't do anything until tomorrow. They are headed home now and she will take my granddaughter into the dentist tomorrow. Thank you for asking.

Okay, back to Hanna guys!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:32 PM

OK,
Tropical Storm HANNA

Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,273,744 times
I had heard on the WEather channel today that officals in Florida and South Carolina at least certains parts are telling people to get ready. Do you think that the areas where hanna is going the state officals will be more pushing people to leave because of the trial and error with Katrinia and the better job they did this time. Not wanting to look less than what they did do you think they may go over board. Also on another thread someone said that with Floyd it was a mess.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Looks like we are going to get at least some rain out of Hanna up here. An inland storm, that is "good". Meaning it wouldn't be as bad here right on the water. Kind of looks like Ike may come up the coast too? Feast or famine! Poor Florida.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Looks like we are going to get at least some rain out of Hanna up here. An inland storm, that is "good". Meaning it wouldn't be as bad here right on the water. Kind of looks like Ike may come up the coast too? Feast or famine! Poor Florida.
FL is tough and can take it. 'o4 took out most of the problem trees. Just keep your blizzards up there and we will be fine. Thanks for the caring thoughts. Much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
FL is tough and can take it. 'o4 took out most of the problem trees. Just keep your blizzards up there and we will be fine. Thanks for the caring thoughts. Much appreciated.
ummmm, pretty soon I'll be posting in the snow thread huhn? Wish I was a snowbird! I'm getting too old for this shoveling sh....ah, stuff.

I was down there in Fla. Oct. '04. What a mess! Thank goodness I live up on a hill with the ocean at the bottom of the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes