Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times

Advertisements

HURRICANE GUSTAV UPDATE

Right now Hurricane Gustav has weakened some and is now a Category 2 hurricane with winds up to 110 mph. At 10:00 A>M> CDT, the center of the hurricane was over the Louisiana coast just west-southwest of Cocodrie, Louisiana and about 70 miles southwest of New Orleans. It is moving northwest at 15 mph. The center of Gustav will go along the south central
Louisiana coast this afternoon and then move into western Louisiana
tonight and eastern Texas on Tuesday. Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 70 miles from the center and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 200 miles. A very dangerous storm surge of 10 to 14 feet above normal tidal levels is expected near and to the east of where the center of Gustav crosses the coast. Gustav is expected to produce total rainfall amounts of 6 to 12 inches over portions of Louisiana, southern and western Mississippi, Arkansas, and northeastern Texas. Isolated maximum amounts of rainfall of up to 20 inches possible through Thursday. Tornadoes are possible in this whole area where the hurricane is hitting.

In New Orleans, the levees are still holding right now and they are experiencing a lot of rain and very high winds. I pray that those levees hold because if they don't, then it is going to get really bad in New Orleans and put the city in standing water. I did hear that 95% of the people in New Orleans evacuated, which is good compared to the rate during Katrina.

You can watch The Weather Channel for live weather conditions or any news station. Also, Weather Underground Tropical Weather : Weather Underground has live radar and updates on everything. I will pe posting updates on here as they come in.

Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody on the coast and everybody effected by the hurricane. I am sitting here watching a live broadcast from New Orleans on TWC and I am just in shock at how bad it is, especially the winds. I can't even imagine what it must be like to watch this happening to the city you live in.

Satellite Map
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_sat.jpg (broken link)

5 Day Forecast Map
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_5day.gif (broken link)

Citation- Weather Underground Tropical Storm: 5 Day Forecast Map : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Great posting and graphics. Thanks so much!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Exclamation Levee update

LEVEE UPDATE

I just heard an update on the levees. Water is starting to go up over the Industrial Canal Levee and some of the levees along Lake Pontchartrain. But the levees are still holding. Also, some of the ships and boats docked are starting to come loose and one almost ran into a levee.

Map of New Orleans Levee System

-Citation New Orleans Levees

Picture of Water Going Up Over Levee(The Industrial Canal Levee protects the Ninth Ward, which was the hardest hit during Katrina, so this is not a good sign.)

http://www.wdsu.com/2008/0901/17358783_320X240.jpg (broken link)

Citation- Video (http://www.wdsu.com/video/16117072/index.html - broken link)

Link To Articles about Levees and Storm Updates
cbs11tv.com - Gustav Makes Landfall; Water Over Some N.O. Levees (http://cbs11tv.com/local/gustav.katrina.new.2.807415.html - broken link)
Waves Overtop Canal As Gustav Hits Land - Weather News Story - KXAS | Dallas

Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM

28 posts, read 279,602 times
A good friend's brother arrived here very early this morning. He evacuated from Lafitte, just south of NO. Any word on storm surge there?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Default 12:00 Hurricane Gustav Update

12:00 Hurricane Gustav Update

Hurricane Gustav is still a Category 2 Hurricane. At 12:00 P.M. CDT, the center of Gustav was located about 10 miles southeast of Morgan city, Louisiana and 65 miles from New Orleans. Gustav is moving northwest at 15 mph. The center of Gustav will go along the south central Louisiana coast this afternoon and then move into western Louisiana tonight and eastern Texas on Tuesday. Wind speeds have gone down to 105 mph with high gusts. A very dangerous storm surge of 10 to 14 feet above normal tidal levels is expected near and to the east of where the center of Gustav crosses the coast. Tornadoes are also a possibility in the areas being hit and some have already happened.

Just saw a live broadcast from Morgan City on TWC and it is pouring there and the wind is blowing everything. I heard that the wind is tearing things up and ripping roofs off.

Satellite Map of Hurricane Gustav

Citation- Weather Underground Tropical Storm: Storm-Centered Satellite Image : Weather Underground

I heard that evacuees in shelters are trying to find out information on the hurricane and what areas are being hit, so I will keep posting updates and start a photo thread that has pictures of the hurricane and its effects.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
DFW, thank you. That is so nice of you. Who knows~maybe some of the evacuees are in areas that aren't being affected and they can get on the internet.

Does anyone know if some of our members live in Huoma, La? That area has had a rough morning.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thanks for the update and pics DFW8! It is very helpful info and I am praying that the storm does little damage and that people can get back to their homes soon !

Blessings,

~HDL~

p.s.
5 reps from me ! Keep up the great work!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
DFW, thank you. That is so nice of you. Who knows~maybe some of the evacuees are in areas that aren't being affected and they can get on the internet.

Does anyone know if some of our members live in Huoma, La? That area has had a rough morning.
I am from Pearl River which is just North of Slidell. The Houma area is still being hit right now. They took just about a direct hit. My home hopefully survived it all. I am in Charleston working, but know most of my neighbors stayed. I have been trying to call them to check, but cannot get through to them yet.

Directv has been having one of the local New Orleans stations on all day. It is on channel 361.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:24 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Rueben, I'll be saying a prayer for your friends.

In case anyone would find comfort in it, there is a prayer thread in the Christianity forum that is specifically for the people in the hurricane areas.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM

Exclamation Hurricane gustav update

HURRICANE GUSTAV UPDATE

At 4:00 P.M. CDT, the center of Hurricane Gustav was located near Opelousas, Louisiana and about 15 miles north of Lafayette, Louisiana. Gustav is moving northwest at 16 mph.The center of Gustav should go across southern and western Louisiana tonight and into eastern Texas by Tuesday. Maximum winds are at 80 mph with higher gusts. Gustav is now a Category 1 hurricane. Weakening is forecast during the next 24 to 48 hours with Gustav becoming a tropical storm tonight or early Tuesday
and a tropical depression late Tuesday or Wednesday. Storm surge flooding of 10 to 14 feet above normal tide levels on the coasts of southeastern Louisiana and Mississippi will be slow to subside tonight and Tuesday. Above normal tides elsewhere in the warned area should gradually subside tonight and Tuesday.

I heard that the water in New Orleans is receating, but the ninth ward has some flooding. There is some damage to buildings and houses as well. Power is out in most places hit by the hurricane.

Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, it is very cloudy and windy. We should get some rain from the hurricane on Wednesday and Thursday.

Satellite Map of Hurricane Gustav

Citation- Weather Underground Tropical Storm: Storm-Centered Satellite Image : Weather Underground

Article giving update on New Orleans after Hurricane Gustav and Levee System Update

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/gustav_gulf_coast (broken link)

Last edited by $DFW8$; 09-01-2008 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes