U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 PM

24,928 posts, read 35,583,984 times

Advertisements

The last major hurricane to hit Virginia was in 2003 with Hurricane Isabel. I've lived here over 18 years and every few years it is our time to face a hurricane. I think it is likely that this or next year it will be Virginia's turn for a hurricane. Do you think so?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:04 PM

12,414 posts, read 22,006,104 times
I'm kind of thinking we might get Hannah, going to keep our eyes out and remove potential flying objects from outside - Isabel wasn't any fun but thank goodness we didn't have anything major like some folks we know did. (I still remember where I was when the power went out...lol).

Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,274,416 times
They haven't talk to much about Hannah . I understand why but we just moved to North Carolina and watching this one too

Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM

13,779 posts, read 24,397,215 times
I just saw something about Hannah as well. There was not much info on it since Gustav is so close to hitting but it sounds like the east coast is going to be the target.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:43 PM

12,414 posts, read 22,006,104 times
Sorry, I misspelled it, they are going w/Hanna, I do believe NC will take the brunt, scary though - there are two more forming behind "her" - I believe the East Coast will get hit w/one of them this yr. (just my gut feeling). - If you've never experienced one before, please prepare: have some cash on hand if you need to evacuate, have a good supply of water and non-perishable foods, flashlights, a NOAA radio, etc.. Another good tip (I need to post this in Home tips) - freeze water in emptied 2 ltr. soda bottles and/or if you have an ice maker, keep dumping it in bags and store in the freezer, will really help keep the temps. cold for longer if you lose power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
They haven't talk to much about Hannah . I understand why but we just moved to North Carolina and watching this one too

Old 08-31-2008, 06:14 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,735,907 times
Is just a matter of time, the proper conditions, and will hit most of the states with beach front property on the east coast. Do to the lack of hurricane action in Virginia they should have a solid plan to take Hanna or other hurricane head on....

Old 08-31-2008, 08:02 PM

392 posts, read 1,148,569 times
Don't know about Virginia being past due for a major cane but I know the Miami / Fort Lauderdale is LONG past due for a major cane

Old 08-31-2008, 08:29 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,274,416 times
Just wondering. When they took all these people by plane, buses, trains where did they all go. I asked my husband this and it might sound silly but I know when they first said to leave on your own some people had cars and left. Some didn't. Some must of had cars but mabe didn't have the money for gas, hotels and all that so they took what was being offered. If you left your car knowing that it most likley would be non drivable when you return will it still be covered. I just wish they would every once in awhile say something about Hannah. I'm new to this in Michigan non of this was an issue. Here in North Carolina we have no clue.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:57 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfrica75 View Post
Don't know about Virginia being past due for a major cane but I know the Miami / Fort Lauderdale is LONG past due for a major cane
Any city or state that is within the reach of a hurricane can be due for a major cane....

Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,151,465 times
I remember when I lived in Norfolk between 1990 and 1994 and it was suppose to get hit head on by a hurricane. I was so scared, but then it changed direction and we only got the outer effects from it. I remember seeing people boarding up places and stuff. Thank goodness though it didn't get hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes