Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

Let me say this- I live in a coastal state (Georgia) and I love the beach. We go to Tybee at least 5 times a year. It is about 4 hours away. And that is as close as I care to be to the beach. Because I don't like having to "run and rebuild" every 5 years. Why people choose to put themselves in harms way is beyond me.
But even if one makes the choice to live in a coastal area, why would one also make the choice to live in a costal city that is 10 feet below the water that surrounds it? And then depend on walls built by the government to protect everything you own and your very life?
That makes no sense at all to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,264 times
I have a friend whose best buddy lives in NO and I asked him the same question a couple days ago. His buddy grew up there and has strong family ties there, he will not move.

SoooOOOo - do you suggest that maybe the government should block off all of New Orleans and make it into a wildlife sanctuary? If so, would you be willing to donate some green in your wallet toward this to help assist moving costs and host a small family until they can get on their feet? Up there in Georgia would be safer for them, you know.

We might be onto something here.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
Let's not forget those people who make their living in the oil,gas, and refinery business so people can drive 8 hours round trip for a few days at the beach, or the families that have for generations harvested gulf shrimp for our dining pleasure.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
The same reasons people live in earthquake zones, volcano zones, drought zones, tsunami zones, forest fire zones, and flood plains. At least you get a warning with hurricanes.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The same reasons people live in earthquake zones, volcano zones, drought zones, tsunami zones, forest fire zones, and flood plains. At least you get a warning with hurricanes.
I really can't think of any place in the US that doesn't have some kind of natural disaster.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 AM

248 posts, read 626,962 times
a lot of people didn't choose it was chosen. their families have lived there for generations. you don't just up and leave hundreds of years of history.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Until Katrina, a New Orleans devastation was considered a possibility...not the norm. However, depending on the outcome of Gustav with the engineering upgrades, there may very well be a mass exodus of those who can actually afford to move further inland.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Until Katrina, a New Orleans devastation was considered a possibility...not the norm. However, depending on the outcome of Gustav with the engineering upgrades, there may very well be a mass exodus of those who can actually afford to move further inland.
Ya until Katrina, hurricanes hitting New Orleans wasn't a norm and was just a possibility.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat1205 View Post
a lot of people didn't choose it was chosen. their families have lived there for generations. you don't just up and leave hundreds of years of history.
If it meant losing everything anyway and maybe the life or health of my family, I would walk away on a 1000 years of family history in an area.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I have a friend whose best buddy lives in NO and I asked him the same question a couple days ago. His buddy grew up there and has strong family ties there, he will not move.

SoooOOOo - do you suggest that maybe the government should block off all of New Orleans and make it into a wildlife sanctuary? If so, would you be willing to donate some green in your wallet toward this to help assist moving costs and host a small family until they can get on their feet? Up there in Georgia would be safer for them, you know.

We might be onto something here.
We have already spent millions on these people and all I see on the TV from the residents is complaints that we have not done more. Some people may have to live there but for the others, duh!

The other day one of the stations showed a person ranting and raving about the inconvenience of where they had been sent to safety. My first thought was "Why is the government having to move you anywhere. You knew where you lived, so you should have made provisions for moving when a storm comes. This should not be the governments job. Their only job should be to warn you that you should move."

We had a friend move to Florida. She spent a few years there and moved back. She said the home insurance was incredible, you took your life into your hands every time you got on the road with all those tourists, and she was tired of hunkering down. Some places should be maintained for vacations only.

Another place I have wondered about are all those towns along the Mississippi.

Yes, every place has the makings of disaster, but some places are just prone to disaster. We recently had several people with homes go under water in a NC county. They were built on top of the river, another duh!

Of course this comes from a person who lives in the state with the most disasters and we usually have to take care of them ourselves because no one seems to know NC has a lot of disasters. On the map listing the safety of all states, ours was the worst. We were the only purple state in America. Wonder if we get the most disaster relief from the federal government? I think we are more likely to be sending relief to other places.

Last edited by NCN; 09-01-2008 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes