U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,685,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
And I think the point is, if you can't afford to feed your dogs, and have to resort to fraud to do so, then you should not have dogs. Period.
OK, shelters are full, are you offering to be a humanitarian and take some dogs in to help people who SHOULDN'T have them? I have a full house here with a cat, dog, 2 rats, 2 snakes, etc., otherwise I would.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,408,899 times
I see people with pets living on the margins and I find myself feeling some of the indignation that I read in prior posts. Then when I think about things, reality hits. Without those pet owners those dog/cats/birds would be sheltered for a short time and because of overcrowding they would be put down.
I realize I was born fortunate, I've worked hard, I have a safety cushion. I can't begrudge people from wanting the love and joy that having pets brings into their lives.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,146,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
OK, shelters are full, are you offering to be a humanitarian and take some dogs in to help people who SHOULDN'T have them? I have a full house here with a cat, dog, 2 rats, 2 snakes, etc., otherwise I would.
I have 2 dogs and 2 cats myself, and lo and behold, I don't have to cash in any food stamps to feed them. I have no interest in taking in any more pets.

Yes, people are getting more and more judgmental--they're tired of having to pay for other people's ****-poor choices, and I'm not the only one. I feed the homeless with my church, I give to the United Way, I make micro-loans to people all over the world. I have a heart, but I get tired of seeing people in this country abuse all that we do for them, and then cry and complain when they feel we don't do enough. I'm sorry your friend has had a run of bad luck, but she's 20 and needs to learn that part of being a grown-up is taking care of YOURSELF first--without anyone's assistance.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 AM

I have never been on Gov't assistance myself, however, looking over at other people, it's always easier said than done, isn't it? You cannot look at things in such a Hitler or Femi-Nazi state of mind. That'll come around to bite ya... who is to say that one day it could not happen to you? Mayhaps you will have a catastrophe happen, illness, accident, etc. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. No one knows what the future may hold. Tomorrow is not promised. "so far, so good" as your title states - but that could change. Hope not, but it could.

If you are so tired of "having to pay "for other people's ****-poor choices" - then just stop doing it. Hearing the 'tone' in the way you type - it seems like you do it for obligatory reasons, which is *not* the way that anything should be given. With such anger in giving - it would be better to not give at all. You are supposed to feel GOOD about giving. You don't seem to feel very good.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I see people with pets living on the margins and I find myself feeling some of the indignation that I read in prior posts. Then when I think about things, reality hits. Without those pet owners those dog/cats/birds would be sheltered for a short time and because of overcrowding they would be put down.
I realize I was born fortunate, I've worked hard, I have a safety cushion. I can't begrudge people from wanting the love and joy that having pets brings into their lives.
Exactly, Bob. Sometimes, that is all that some people have to hold onto. Sad, but true.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM

327 posts, read 879,603 times
Jeepgirl -

YOU GO, GIRL!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I have never been on Gov't assistance myself, however, looking over at other people, it's always easier said than done, isn't it? You cannot look at things in such a Hitler or Femi-Nazi state of mind. That'll come around to bite ya... who is to say that one day it could not happen to you? Mayhaps you will have a catastrophe happen, illness, accident, etc. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. No one knows what the future may hold. Tomorrow is not promised. "so far, so good" as your title states - but that could change. Hope not, but it could.

If you are so tired of "having to pay "for other people's ****-poor choices" - then just stop doing it. Hearing the 'tone' in the way you type - it seems like you do it for obligatory reasons, which is *not* the way that anything should be given. With such anger in giving - it would be better to not give at all. You are supposed to feel GOOD about giving. You don't seem to feel very good.
I feel great about the choices I make in giving. Gov't assistance is not one of my happy choices. Voting for Nobama, I take it??

I'm quite satisfied with my life, thankyouverymuch. I don't count my chickens....I'm too busy working, enjoying each day, and making plans for the future. I'm glad you can tell so much from my "tone"--that's completely laughable, and you've made me giggle. Have a wonderful day!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM

43,856 posts, read 46,005,371 times
In many instances, the owners with pitts use them as fighting dogs for money and sport. There are also areas where people need watch dogs due to the high crime in their neighborhood.

Just because someone is poor doesn't indicate they should have to go through life without the joy of a pet for themselves or their children. Some people don't have vacation money or weekend activities. They have a bird or a cat.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I feel great about the choices I make in giving. Gov't assistance is not one of my happy choices. Voting for Nobama, I take it??

I'm quite satisfied with my life, thankyouverymuch. I don't count my chickens....I'm too busy working, enjoying each day, and making plans for the future. I'm glad you can tell so much from my "tone"--that's completely laughable, and you've made me giggle. Have a wonderful day!
Nobama? Actually, I'm a Republican. I take no offense to your attempt at a swing, I just consider the source. I'm glad I have made you giggle, you are going to need to start utilizing that sense of humor since you plan to "live forever." Long road of disappointments ahead.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 AM

OMG can we just agree to disagree? I agree with the OP, and you don't. It's a stupid little tagline, and you are going to use that against me? Give me a break.

You aren't going to change my mind, and I'm not changing yours. Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or