U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,146,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
In many instances, the owners with pitts use them as fighting dogs for money and sport.
And I'm not OK with this, either. Any self-respecting animal lover should be appalled.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 AM

140 posts, read 471,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
See, there it is again - another judgment. Sapphire, first of all. the girl is 20 years old and was in college for Nursing until her Mom fell ill with terminal cancer. Due to that, her Mom can longer afford to pay for her college. Her father is deceased. She does work PT - only part-time because jobs are very, very scarce right now. She spends much time applying online for FT jobs and I personally took this girl around last week to apply at many places. You do "not" have to be unemployed to receive government assistance. Crafty? Obviously, you never went without a day in your life - but not everyone is so lucky. A little understanding and heart goes a long way - the karma would be beneficial to have in your corner.
Everyone has their own hurricane. Some can call it Katrina, some can call it jail, some can even call it child abuse, the point is, we all have our own.

---------------------

I've been homeless before and on state aid (seperate times), but I worked hard, got off the assistance so that it would be there for someone else if they needed it, but some days my dogs have eaten hot dogs mixed with some gravy and cereal whatevers is in my pantry. What ever works is what you gotta do I guess, but I'm sure her caseworker would not find it very amusing to hear that she is selling food stamps for dog food, you can get into ALOT of trouble for food stamp fraud trust me. If she needs more money maybe she should ask for TANF.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,146,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineshallow View Post
Everyone has their own hurricane. Some can call it Katrina, some can call it jail, some can even call it child abuse, the point is, we all have our own.

---------------------

I've been homeless before and on state aid (seperate times), but I worked hard, got off the assistance so that it would be there for someone else if they needed it, but some days my dogs have eaten hot dogs mixed with some gravy and cereal whatevers is in my pantry. What ever works is what you gotta do I guess, but I'm sure her caseworker would not find it very amusing to hear that she is selling food stamps for dog food, you can get into ALOT of trouble for food stamp fraud trust me. If she needs more money maybe she should ask for TANF.
Good for you! This is what "assistance" should be about. Not a way of life, and certainly not used fraudulently to feed an animal you can't afford to own.

I have no problem with helping people out that are working towards a future that doesn't involve gov't assistance. Some people make it their way of life, and when I read about people trading in the food stamps that were given in good faith to feed a HUMAN, and instead they are traded for cash to feed a dog, yeah, I get a little upset--as should all of us.

People who are down on their luck should have nothing to be ashamed of--but the ones who wallow in self-pity and blame everything and everyone for their situation, and do nothing to change it, get no sympathy from me. "Pick up your mat and Walk!"

Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,685,707 times
I definitely care. And it's all cool with me, I don't have to be anywhere until 3:30. You're a voice for those dead-set against, I am a voice for those who see the gray areas - YET, not oblivious to what is productive and correct. It's not about changing people's minds, it's about throwing things out there for consideration to expand the mind and to see things in a different light to encourage diverse thought - both ways.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,282,522 times
I lean towards agreeing with OP. If I was to the financial point that I could not provide for myself and family, the dogs would have been gone a long time ago. They are a luxury not a necessity. In fact, it used to be that only the very wealthy could afford to keep animals as pets and they were a status symbol of sorts. Otherwise animals were kept as working animals, including hunting and working dogs, barn cats, cattle etc (even dogs to run on treadmills to power butter churns and machinery!!). While some of those animals were valued as pets, they also had to earn their keep!! It is really only in the 20th century and in developed nations that pets are more common.

One has to ask how much sense it makes to take on the responsibility of pet ownership when one can not even take care of their self and/or family and needs the government to provide for them. Is it fair to ask society to pay the price for your desire to have a pet? I don't think so. However, there may be a opportunity for both people and pets in this type of situation. In most areas there is a great need to have foster families for animals awaiting adoption. Perhaps those animals can be matched with families who can not afford to keep pets of their own. Food and medical care would be provided by the animal agency and the foster parents would be giving back a valuable service rather than draining the resources provided via government assistance. There, is everybody happy now??

Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,685,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineshallow View Post

---------------------

I know people who have done a lot worse than things like someone buying her mom groceries with her food stamps in exchange for the cash. Sometimes desperate people go to desperate measures. Does not make it right. Everyone goes to 'desperate measures' in various ways, whether it's going 15mph+ over the speed limit because we are late for work/meeting, rolling through stop signs, not being completely honest on taxes by hiding cash income, taking pens and paper from the office. the avenues are endless. No one on this Earth has clean hands - everyone just has their own set of "what is more right than 'this-n-that'." Everyone just justifies things when it's their own self in the situation. But this is now getting way off the topic from what the OP intended the conversation to be, considering this is in the hurricane forum.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,919,673 times
Moderator cut: Although I respect your views with being concerned for pets during hurricanes, this thread has wandered far beyond things that are hurricane related. If you'd like to continue with this topic, take it to the political forum, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or