U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:05 AM

16,463 posts, read 22,504,077 times

Advertisements

The people who live in New Orleans or LA for that matter who claim they are on welfare and have no money, blah, blah, blah but have 4 dogs???? I just saw some of the pictures of the people leaving and this one couple had 4 pits but no car to leave in???? WTF!!!!!! How is that possible????? This is the reason why soo many animals died and were left behind in Katrina. Pathetic!
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 AM

16,248 posts, read 22,243,293 times
It is common for many people in southern cities not to own cars. Most southern cities have bus and subway (Atlanta, Miami) systems that they use. That does not mean they are on welfare. They just choose to spend their money on other things - including their dogs!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 AM

I'm sorry to tell you but in Miami, you need a car. The only people who don't have one, can't afford it.

Now that being said, most of those people living in those areas are among the poorest of the nation. This is well known and been spoken of numerous times on the news. They can't even afford to rebuild their shack that floated away but can afford 4 dogs??? Give me a break.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,683,121 times
Um, no.

There are food banks that do provide dog and cat food. Someone who has 4 dogs, is obviously feeding them. I know a young girl that has 2 dogs and is on welfare, and she exchanges $50 worth on her food stamps (gets her mom groceries) for $50 of cash in return - and her dogs are well fed, happy and loving life. She treats her dogs like platinum. You just have to "think outside of the box" - and not be so quick to pass judgment and be accusatory. Are you implying that those who are on food stamps/welfare are not capable of being loving and responsible pet owners? Now that, my friend, if that is what you are suggesting, is pathetic.

The reason that dogs, cats and other animals died in Katrina was not because of a lack of food because owners were lax or careless. It is because evacuations are very expensive (more than the cost of dog food) and the government lacked in its preparedness to get people out of dodge. No more, no less.

The cost of a car goes BEYOND just "buying" one. Car insurance, maintenance, etc. Face it, in this day and age, not everyone is so lucky to afford it like some of us can. That does not give us the license to be snooty and look down our noses at them.

Rebuilding their "SHACK" - is much more involved and intricate.

I cannot believe what I am reading,

Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 AM

Well your reading it.

People who are on welfare/food stamps/living in shacks should not be spending money on 4 dogs. They should be spending money on trying to better their life and their families life. How is it possible that these people are so poor that they cannot have proper shelter, jobs or transportation to sustain themselves BUT they have 4 dogs??? You are missing my point completely.

As for rebuilding their shacks, these people do not have their priorities straight in the first place. They should concentrate on rebuilding their house so they can have a proper place to shelter these animals so they are not left chained to trees in the yard. That is not having an animal period.

I work hard to have what I have. I do not expect a handout as a lot of people who are on welfare do. Why shouldn't I look down on someone who lives off the government who is perfectly capable of sustaining themselves??? I including yourself pay for it in the end. And that my friend gives me every right to be snooty and look down on those people.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,139,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Um, no.
I know a young girl that has 2 dogs and is on welfare, and she exchanges $50 worth on her food stamps (gets her mom groceries) for $50 of cash in return - and her dogs are well fed, happy and loving life.
I see something terribly wrong with this, but JeepGirl, I guess you don't. Food stamps are supposed to be temporary, to feed PEOPLE. What she is doing to feed her dogs sounds fraudulent.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 AM

No, I see your point completely. I am not an idiot up here in Tampa. Whether or not I share the same viewpoint, because I, too, work hard - and would not have my own animals if I did not have extra to spare after the "pay yourself first." But not everyone thinks like we may.

Considering the fact that they should concentrate on rebuilding - and not on their animals - where should their animals go? Animal shelters are full (both Gov't and private rescues) . . . would you care to host a few animals in need at your home since you have the proper funds to care for them?

See, thing is. . you can complain and "look down your nose" all you want on others - but in the end - what are YOU doing to help correct the issues aside from letting your tongue wag?
-----------------------------

Sapphire, this isn't a debate on whether what she does is legal or not - I believe any dog owner who loves their animal would do the very same if they had to. A lot of animal owners see their animals as their *children.* Parent's that are minorities often do what they need to do, every day for their children. To some, animals aren't just animals. Again, all shelters are full and even on craigslist people are having difficulty finding new homes for their animals, so what are some people to do? Make do or abandon and let the animals roam the street?

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 09-01-2008 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
See, thing is. . you can complain and "look down your nose" all you want on others - but in the end - what are YOU doing to help correct the issues aside from letting your tongue wag?

First thing I would do is report her to the gov't for converting food stamps to cash. She's crafty enough to get that done, why isn't she crafty enough to get an education, or a better-paying job to support herself and 2 dogs?

Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Sapphire, this isn't a debate on whether what she does is legal or not - I believe any dog owner who loves their animal would do the very same if they had to.
And I think the point is, if you can't afford to feed your dogs, and have to resort to fraud to do so, then you should not have dogs. Period.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM

See, there it is again - another judgment. Sapphire, first of all. the girl is 20 years old and was in college for Nursing until her Mom fell ill with terminal cancer. Due to that, her Mom can longer afford to pay for her college. Her father is deceased. She does work PT - only part-time because jobs are very, very scarce right now. She spends much time applying online for FT jobs and I personally took this girl around last week to apply at many places. You do "not" have to be unemployed to receive government assistance. Crafty? Obviously, you never went without a day in your life - but not everyone is so lucky. A little understanding and heart goes a long way - the karma would be beneficial to have in your corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or