Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:27 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

From the 8 AM report Ike is still a strong Cat 3 and headed my way. The comforting thing is he as to cross over a lot of land first. Of course Charley did too. Even so he still has my respect but we are not afraid to ride him out as our house has been though 4 real bruisers already. I hope that those in the lower counties are ready or will be soon.

Hurricane IKE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times
I was just wondering and I know it will be shown in a few days but where to you think Ike will go. It looks like Florida but then after that will it turn right or left or what. I thought that with Gustav it seems like they knew along time. People were leaving two days before it hit. With Ike it seems like they aren't sure where it will go. I'm just learning

Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I was just wondering and I know it will be shown in a few days but where to you think Ike will go. It looks like Florida but then after that will it turn right or left or what. I thought that with Gustav it seems like they knew along time. People were leaving two days before it hit. With Ike it seems like they aren't sure where it will go. I'm just learning
That's why they show the 3 day and 5 day cone and call it the cone of uncertainty. The 3 day is a better calculated guess. The 5 day is not nearly as accurate and will often change the most. You just have to follow along with the reports that get updated every 3 hours. There's nothing else you can do. Many times people get ready and the storm turns away. Sometimes not. You just have to be ready if you are near that cone of uncertainty. Currently south FL is in the bulls eye but may not get hit at all. Those folks still have to assume they are going to see the worst while hoping for the best. That's just the way it is and until someone invents a crystal ball it will not change. After a few of these wind bags you'll get the hang of how it all goes. Just keep watching without worrying.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM

246 posts, read 1,018,674 times
For all of you that don't have supplies now would be a good time because you never know where it will go until it is much closer. Pray that it goes out in the Atlantic and doesn't get anyone.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 AM

174 posts, read 626,387 times
Landfall in Homestead at 6pm on Tuesday of next week, quickly exiting South Florida just south of Ft. Myers, reemerging in the Gulf of Mexco. At that point it is really to early to tell whether it will head west toward Houston or North toward Pensacola. South Florida be ready to begin evacuations by Sunday afternoon...according to my FEMA office Hurricane modeling software...Hurrevac

Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I don't like being the bull's eye so I hope it just goes away!

I just spoke to a friend of mine who went through Andrew and she has put the fear in me now. She said she's going to a shelter if it's anything more than a cat 2. Wow. I'm staying home with all my four legged children and the rest of the 2 legged clan.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetWorld View Post
Landfall in Homestead at 6pm on Tuesday of next week, quickly exiting South Florida just south of Ft. Myers, reemerging in the Gulf of Mexco. At that point it is really to early to tell whether it will head west toward Houston or North toward Pensacola. South Florida be ready to begin evacuations by Sunday afternoon...according to my FEMA office Hurricane modeling software...Hurrevac
Even a hard right turn into Tampa Bay could be possible.. We just don't know. But the gulf does look like a done deal with some warm water to recharge his energy.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM

376 posts, read 1,808,891 times
Darn it! -- I just put up the bird feeders again! I don't think I'll start worrying until Sunday -- all supplies ready and waiting, keeping the gas tank filled, pet carriers ready and waiting! Please keep us floridians in your prayers.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM

174 posts, read 626,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I don't like being the bull's eye so I hope it just goes away!

I just spoke to a friend of mine who went through Andrew and she has put the fear in me now. She said she's going to a shelter if it's anything more than a cat 2. Wow. I'm staying home with all my four legged children and the rest of the 2 legged clan.
My wife's house was destroyed by Andrew in 1992, she freaks out every time the wind blows at our house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Even a hard right turn into Tampa Bay could be possible.. We just don't know. But the gulf does look like a done deal with some warm water to recharge his energy.
Well yeh, it could swing up to North Carolina...or Straight to Mexico....I'm just going by what FEMA is forecasting for my Emergency Operation Officers this morning...

Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
One Sweet World.

That's what my friend was telling me. She's got shutters and everything but she says the howling noise, the shaking, and the not knowing if or when the roof is going to blow....it's terrifying.

She says she was in a closet with her 11 year old at the time and her husband and the older kid were just trying to keep the front door from opening.

that it was VERY scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes