Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,794 times

Advertisements

We are going to Disney World next week and now are worried about Fay possibly ruining our vacation. Do you think its safe there if Fay becomes a hurricane and heads towards florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
She will have to strengthen to a major hurricane to threaten anywhere that far inland. Anything is possible. I'd be more worried about rain out than most anything else base on the current predicted track. Keep an eye on her here:

National Hurricane Center

Old 08-16-2008, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 12,278 times
Safe, yes, no more dangerous than any other part of the U.S. - Orlando would face heavier than usual rains & winds; the worst case scenario would be it spawning a couple of tornados.

Storm surge is a non-issue in Orlando. Any flooding would be the result of heavy rains only.

You'll have a better grasp of Fay's prospective track (the now-famous PROBABILITY CONE) within the next 12-24 hours, so keep an eye on The Weather Channel.

BTW - the good news - re: RAIN ... there is PLENTY to do at Disney and in the immediate vicinity - EVEN ON RAINY DAYS! Lots of great, indoor venues & activities for adults & children.

If you are flying, however, you may want to carefully consider Fay's impact on flight schedules.

Best wishes - have a great trip!

Old 08-16-2008, 04:17 PM

338 posts, read 613,353 times
Bad time visiting Disney during hurricane season - or even at summers.
Why? It's hurricane season, heavy rainfall/thunderstorms, very hot & humid.
Winter is best weather!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
There is a reason why Florida is cheap in the summer months...Hot, Humid, rainy season (August second rainest month for us), Hurricane Season, crowds, etc. I agree best time to go to Disney is Jan-March.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
At its widest point, Florida is 361 miles across. From the NOAA advisory at 8pm this evening, winds from Tropical Storm Fay extended out to 105 miles. Should the storm reach hurricane strength, it could certainly be as wide as the entire state (which frequently happens). It is important to be aware of the regular weather advisories and be as prepared as reasonably possible. This isn't intended to scare you, just to put it in perspective. I live about 20 miles from the coastline and we've been fortunate for over 20 years now.

If you're camping at WDW, I'd definitely have Plan B ready. If you're in a hotel, they should have safety procedures and evacuation routes if necessary. Ask when you check in.

Hopefully the storm will either veer away from Florida, or fizzle out. Either way, we will probably have some showers and maybe some wind.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,753 times
Go in the winter you will get rained out and sweat to death in the summer.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 20,408 times
Smile Father lives in Orlando

My father lives in Orlando and has actually been there when several came through last year. Because of where it located it has to be a extremely strong hurricane to do serious water damage there. However, with high winds and lots of rain they do have power outages and lots of downed trees, especially in areas that don't take the precaution of cutting back vegatation. As I understand from Dad, DW takes precautions for these type of situations as they have survived quite a few. I would recommend contacting DW - I am sure they have a set procedures on these type of issues and would be happy to talk to you about them.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 13,416 times
Default Concerned about rain...

My husband and I are planning to take our son on wed the 10th of September through the 17th to disneyworld for his second birthday. We were so excited but now that all this mess with hurricanes is going on weve been checking the weather forcast hoping it will get better. unfortunately its scheduled to rain almost everyday so.... do you think the rain will ruin our vacation, or is it the usual Orlando weather??????????

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorscott101 View Post
My husband and I are planning to take our son on wed the 10th of September through the 17th to disneyworld for his second birthday. We were so excited but now that all this mess with hurricanes is going on weve been checking the weather forcast hoping it will get better. unfortunately its scheduled to rain almost everyday so.... do you think the rain will ruin our vacation, or is it the usual Orlando weather??????????
If the hurricane gets anywhere close to Orlando, you'll experience lots of rain and wind. We were there for the whole time with tropical storm Fay. We had more rain than I have ever seen in my life! It rained solid for 4 days & not wimpy rain either. Did it ruin our vacation? No. Did it make me rethink a few things and adjust our plans a little? Yes.

If there is a hurricane nearby, Just go there fully knowing that you are going to get wet! Bring lots of clothes, lots of shoes, and go to Target and buy a bunch of the $1 rain ponchos (in the camping section). Get a rain coat for your son, and some rain boots and just make it fun!

It is warm out, so even if it's raining its not bad. BUT its cold in the restaurants and inside areas so if you're soaked you'll get cold. We just put on our rain gear when we went out and took it off inside & we were fine. A toddler is going to be probably easier because you can just pick him up! They sell these stroller covers which we saw many familys using - they are clear plastic and basically cover the entire top part, but has loose flaps on the side so airflow isnt a problem. One family was very smart, they had a battery operated fan attached to the back of the stroller blowing towards the baby. I think that baby was probably the most comfortable of all.

Another good thing about Disney is that they built it to handle the weather. Even after 4 days of solid pouring rain we never saw any flooding. SOme small puddles here and there, but no major problems.

We felt very safe there. They have thought of everything. Disney is probably the safest place in florida to be during a hurricane.

Regular weather: it rains every afternoon for a short time, even when the weather is 'good'. Its just that time of year. Plan on eating/resting late afternoons and you probably wont even be bothered by the thunderstorms/rain. They usually only last a short time.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes