U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,151,465 times

Advertisements

HURRICANE HANNA UPDATE

Hurricane Hanna is strengthening and is now a Category 1 hurricane. At 5:00 PM, the center of Hurricane Hanna was located just east of Mayaguana island in the southeastern Bahamas. Hanna is moving south-southwest near 3 mph. A turn toward the west is expected tomorrow. On the forecast track, Hanna will be moving over the southeastern and central Bahamas during the next couple of days. Maximum winds are at 80 mph and higher gusts. Hurricane force winds go outward up to 70 miles to the northeast of the center, and tropical storm force winds go outward up to 160 miles.
Hanna is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 4 to 8 inches over
the central and southeastern Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos
Islands.Isolated maximum amounts of up to 12 inches
possible through Thursday. Rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches with
maximum amounts of up to 8 inches are expected over the mountainous
terrain of eastern Cuba and northern portions of Hispaniola. These
rains could cause life-threatening mudslides and flash flooding. Coastal storm surge flooding of 3-5 feet above normal tide levels are to be
expected in areas within the Hurricane Warning area. Swells from Hanna are expected to increase the risk of dangerous rip currents along portions of the southeastern United States coast during the next couple of days.

5 Day Forecast Map of Hurricane Hanna

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200808_5day.gif (broken link)

Satellite Map of Hurricane Hanna

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200808_sat.jpg (broken link)

Citation- Weather Underground Tropical Storm: Storm-Centered Satellite Image : Weather Underground

Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody along the coast and in the Bahamas area along with everybody along the gulf coast and effected by Hurricane Gustav.

I will be giving updates on Hurricane Gustav and Hurricane Hanna.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:19 PM

10 posts, read 61,681 times
Would it be wise to cancel my flight tomorrow to West Palm Beach Florida? What are the chances of hurricane hitting this area based on prior alerts?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,274,416 times
We are from Michigan having just moved to North Carolina. So this is all new to us. We shovel snow. I looked at the National Hurricane site and they don't call hanna a hurricane yet

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM

206,836 posts, read 80,002,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
We are from Michigan having just moved to North Carolina. So this is all new to us. We shovel snow. I looked at the National Hurricane site and they don't call hanna a hurricane yet
She is not a hurricane yet but threatening. HTH You can bookmark and get updates every few hours. HTH

Tropical Storm HANNA

Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM

20,871 posts, read 19,404,994 times
hey everyone, we have had some pretty strong squals come thru here in coastal NC. The strongest had winds upto 40mph probably. So far we have had just un der 1 inch of rain. will try to give updates here thru the evening and tomorrow morning.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM

24,198 posts, read 20,882,358 times
Mass. has been put on flash flood warnings from late tonight until Sunday morning from TS Hanna passing through.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,690,860 times
Anybody getting the effects of Hanna yet? Just talked to my sister back in MD, and they're making what preparations they can - water in the bath tub, flashlights, etc.

Best wishes to all in the path.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:30 PM

13,779 posts, read 24,397,215 times
We are in Richmond and we have been getting rain since 5pm or so. There were spurts of hard rain and then it would subside but it is steady and hard right now. We are under a state of emergency in Virginia.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 PM

24,198 posts, read 20,882,358 times
It started POURING around midnight last night here in Mass. It's been raining off and on here in my part of the world. Sun even tried to break through. It is so muggy you can cut it with a knife! Very tropical feeling. I'm being stubborn and not turning the a/c on. After experiencing south/east Texas, I know how much more horrible it could be so I try and make it through most times without the a/c.

Took most of my birdfeeders down earlier and by evening will put the rest away until tomorrow or Monday morning.

Waiting for an SOS from daughter to send the money for Ike now! I'm keeping a close eye on his path.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:56 PM

13,779 posts, read 24,397,215 times
It is SUNNY here!!! Yeah!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes