U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 05:10 AM

9,362 posts, read 23,417,785 times

Advertisements

Most hurricanes are no more than a "big blow"- lots of wind and rain and intermittant power outages. I am referring to those in this post.

Growing up (ewww....40 years ago!), when a hurricane was approaching, my folks would buy coloring books, card games, snacks and put our mattresses in the hall to sleep on. We'd fill our bath tub with water and put water in the empty bleach jugs that we had saved just for this purpose. We'd listen to the radio and track the storms path on a hurricane map. When the power went out, we got to light the candles. If we were lucky, before we went to bed, we would hear on the radio that school was cancelled the next day.

As a single young adult, I'd stock up on beer and snacks and invite friends over or go to the neighborhood bar/pool hall for a hurricane party.

Now I buy extra batteries for the kids' Gameboys, stock up on weird canned goods that we never buy at other times of the year and watch reporters on TV getting blown around while telling us how dangerous it is out there and to stay in our homes. The pulsing music that precedes every new segment of storm reporting gives the impression that the storm is bearing down upon us, even when it's a category 2 approaching the other end of the state!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 12:44 PM

904 posts, read 2,662,014 times
Having grown up in Florida, I too remember my parents filling the bathtub with water, and the used bleach containers. I also remember boarding up and my grandparents would come and take over my bedroom for a few days. It didn't seem to be a big deal. A lot of wind and a lot of rain, no power for days and no school. I also remember all of us getting into my dad's pick-up and riding around after the storms to look at all the damage. It was great fun.
Looking back, I'm sure my parents thought it was more of a big deal than us kids. My parents, both 4th generation Floridians, had been through some really bad ones. My grandmother survived the 1928 hurricane and has terrible stories to tell. I KNOW she thinks all storms are a big deal. After Francis, Jeanne and Wilma, I now think they are a big deal.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:43 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,417,785 times
I take them seriously now, as well. I even evacuated to Atlanta for one of them the year before last because I was alone with my kids. I figured that even if my property wasn't damaged, being stuck in a house with no power for several days with two kids would be a bad thing! So we packed up the dog and took what turned out to be a mini-vacation. Cost a bunch- I would have been wiser to buy a generator.

I find it difficult to turn of the tv, though. I get sucked in with the 24/7 reporting, even though I can't stand it.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,912,970 times
I'm curious about the "now" of hurricanes~does the 15-20 years of bad hurricanes still stand in the predictions?

Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,559,685 times
My grandfather was here for the 1926 and 1935 hurricanes. He saw the real estate bubble and bust. Also was here for Donna, and several storms in the past. I was living in south Dade for Andrew and that was a scary storm!! Ended up hiding in the safe with the door closed and the lock removed for air. House did fine, but many others did not. Most storms are no problem, but live through a powerful one and you'll never think a hurricane is no big deal again. The storms do break up the monotony of Florida summers and provide a much needed vacation from work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or