U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM

265 posts, read 806,118 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering whether Corpus Christi residents are ready for Ike. It seems to be heading directly for your city. Godspeed and good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:01 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,973,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
I'm wondering whether Corpus Christi residents are ready for Ike. It seems to be heading directly for your city. Godspeed and good luck.
At the moment it seems like they are very disorganised.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,123 times
If CC is on the 3 day cone of being hit, then I highly recommend they start preparing now. When the Hurricane warning is issue, you only have a day or so to really complete boarding up and get food/water supplies. Once the winds start, you need to hunker down!! I live in South Florida and we have had our share and it's better to be safe than sorry if you do not start preparing now.

[URL="http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/084618.shtml?3day?large#contents"]http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/084618.shtml?3day?large#contents[/URL]

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM

485 posts, read 1,701,837 times
I expect another Katrina type situation. In the case of Katrina it was a dysfunctional government and poverty stricken black people. In the upcoming Corpus Christi Texas Hurricane it will be poorly educated Hispanics and Illegal Aliens that will be causing the trouble.

It will be interesting to see which group causes more chaos.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,786,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
At the moment it seems like they are very disorganised.
That made me laugh. If you're in New Zealand, how do you know if we're getting ready or not?

Based on what I've seen, people are boarding up and filling their cars with gasoline and in general getting ready to leave if they have to. An order to evacuate has not been issued yet, but I think there's a press conference going on right now so I imagine we'll know here in a bit whether we're going to need to go or not. Today is Wednesday and as of right now, the storm isn't supposed to make landfall until early Saturday morning. No one is taking it lightly, but we've still got some time.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM

835 posts, read 1,225,232 times
As a resident of Texas and one who does business in Corpus some of these posts are very ignorant and offensive. Corpus has no more than the usual amount of illegals. Corpus has also come a long way over the last several years and there is a good bit of money around Corpus and Port A. Yes Corpus is as ready as you can be. Buses are already in place to evacuate, guard is already prepped and ready, Red Cross and evacuation centers throughout SA and Austin are ready. TEXAS HAS NEVER BEEN AND WILL NEVER BE A KATRINA! Rita did far more damage in Beaumont than Katrina did in NOLA and not a single report showed a Texan looking for a government handout. Mississippi took the brunt of Katrina and not a single report showed them looking for govt. handouts. 76% of the hurricanes in the Atlantic hit Texas or Florida...this is nothing new to us and we can handle it. Let us not forget the most deadly hurricane to ever hit the US was Sept. 1900 in Galveston. The residents of Galveston lost 10,000 - 12,000 people to that storm. Texas rebuilt the city through the support of fellow Texans and had power and phone restored in one week and shipping in three. The Great State of Texas will band together as we always do to get thru yet another natural disaster!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That made me laugh. If you're in New Zealand, how do you know if we're getting ready or not?

Based on what I've seen, people are boarding up and filling their cars with gasoline and in general getting ready to leave if they have to. An order to evacuate has not been issued yet, but I think there's a press conference going on right now so I imagine we'll know here in a bit whether we're going to need to go or not. Today is Wednesday and as of right now, the storm isn't supposed to make landfall until early Saturday morning. No one is taking it lightly, but we've still got some time.
Don't be so ignorant for gods sake. I am apart of a weather forum where people live there and can provide information at the time not alot was being done. Think before you post sometimes.

Anyway good luck with this thing.

Last edited by mattyj46; 09-10-2008 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,904,659 times
According to the weather channel, Texas is preparing today already. They showed people boarding their houses up in Galveston and said that some were already getting ready to leave while others were going to wait just a bit yet to see which way the storm will head.

They haven't shown Corpus Christi yet, but the people in Texas aren't wimps and won't wait around to be rescued. I'm sure that many of them will take Red Cross aid if worse comes to worse, but they're pretty self sufficient and will take care of one another. They seem to be acting responsibly and getting things rolling. Many people during Katrina did the same, but the responsible ones weren't a focus for the news media and that is unfortunate because now we sort of tend to clump them altogether.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,786,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Don't be so ignorant for gods sake. I am apart of a weather forum where people live there and can provide information at the time not alot was being done. Think before you post sometimes.

Anyway good luck with this thing.
I'm not ignorant and I am not part of a weather forum. I live in Corpus Christi where people have been preparing for the storm for a couple of days now. People are boarding up, buying gas and supplies, reserving hotel rooms, picking the junk up out of their yards and otherwise getting ready for a big storm. The elderly, nursing home residents and hospital patients are being evacuated.

Now it looks like it's heading north of here, but we're still getting ready, regardless. I'm not trying to be unpleasant and I do appreciate your concern. But really, trust me, people are getting themselves prepared.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm not ignorant and I am not part of a weather forum. I live in Corpus Christi where people have been preparing for the storm for a couple of days now. People are boarding up, buying gas and supplies, reserving hotel rooms, picking the junk up out of their yards and otherwise getting ready for a big storm. The elderly, nursing home residents and hospital patients are being evacuated.

Now it looks like it's heading north of here, but we're still getting ready, regardless. I'm not trying to be unpleasant and I do appreciate your concern. But really, trust me, people are getting themselves prepared.
Sorry for calling you ignorants, its just that I'm in contact with people in Corpus Christi and they some weren't preparing when I was in contact.

Yeah better to be safe than sorry, since its such a big hurricane your're sure to get effects, stay safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes