Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:38 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times

Advertisements

I've been told that living in a hurricane area means bringing the outdoor furniture, container plants, and everything else indoors when a hurricane is coming. And some people just leave it indoors all season because it's too much work.

Is that really true? Sounds like a LOT of work! (or a lot of space to keep it inside all season)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 11:54 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Yes, it's true. Everything that's loose has to be put away.

Yes, it's a lot of work. You find the space; it's amazing how much stuff can be piled on top of other stuff.

And, although you didn't ask, it's worth it in order to live in paradise during the 99.976% of the time when there is no hurricane preparation necessary. (in my case, 3 days of hurricane preparation in the past 34 years that I've lived here)

It's not nearly as much work as shoveling snow....

Last edited by pslOldTimer; 06-11-2006 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times
Indeed, it's true. Though, those people that don't put the stuff back out are lazy. Who wants to live year round with aluminum chairs/plastic potted plants, next to their nice $2000 leather sofa & their $4000 plasma t.v.?? I bet these are the people that leave their Christmas lights/ornaments out all year round. If they like to live that way, well...that's a personal preference. Anyhow, this doesn' really happen all the time...like with a tropical storm thing going on which is being exagerated in the media/weather channel right now & they show people going to home depot & stuff (I think this is last year's footage, anyway.). One just gets used to this tropical living, it just becomes 2nd nature. In our case, when there is a hurricane threat (not even a hurricane watch) the day before, we start moving stuff in...we move the our sofas about 4 feet in, in the Florida room - put lots of old towels and start to bring in plants, grill, chairs, tables, trash can, ornaments, etc & stack them up to the ceiling if we have to -anything that is not tied down & could be a flying missile/target that can damage your own home/others home or injure somebody. It's simple really...if you don't want to carry stuff 'in and out' over & over...one just keeps these outside things to a minimum year round, and when the threat comes, the less stuff you have to bring inside.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 PM

25 posts, read 159,056 times
Wink True, but rare

I've lived in FL 16 years, the past two were the only years I have ever brought anything major in and that is because we were in the line of fire (Tampa Bay area).

I usually put most of it in the garage. It's great incentive for keeping everything uncluttered and tidy, so you have space.

It's something you can do pretty much last minute, so if the storm changes course, you haven't done all that work.

People some times throw their big patio furniture into the pool as opposed to bringing it in. I did that once, when my husband was deployed and I didn't have any help lugging the table in. My three and five year olds helped me push and pull the table and get it into the pool. They got such a kick out of it!! I wouldn't recommend that if you have wrought iron furniture, but then, who has wrought iron outdoor furniture in Florida, anyway?

Old 06-12-2006, 06:35 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times
You know what is worse than bringing stuff in from the outside (which isn't really all that bad...)??? Looking out your window at a neighbor's house and realizing that they did not! It really is rude. It's scary knowing that they have "lovely terracotta pot missiles" all set and ready to crash through YOUR windows! Sorry, that just burns me up! ugh. Please... Floridians... just bring it in!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:59 PM

I know what you mean...we've got the people that exaggerate w/even a summer storm & then the ones that don't do anything at all.
You know, last year my husband was upset at me that I'd be caught in someone's private property & hauled away or something...but seriously, I went into a neighbors yard at night & put the long pool net & some some chairs behind a wall. Then I snuck to two homes & put their garbage cans/recycling bins(put some objects in 'em) under some bushes close to a wall away from the coming winds that were getting stronger & stronger. Those people must think that the hurricane conveniently put it there...ha, ha...

I think I work more cutting people's tree limbs & putting away there stuff then taking care of my own stuff.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:17 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times
YOU GO GIRL! My husband would have been a brat about that too... (you gotta love em) But heck, they'd wish someone had taken the initiative when THEY get wacked with the flying object. I wish I wasn't so afraid about "what someone may have thought" that year.... You were awesome. I bet he loves your spunk!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:25 PM

Well, loving me during my 'spunk moments' I'm not so sure... but after when the winds literally blow over, it's a different story .

Old 09-10-2018, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,454 times
Does anyone know how heavy a piece of furniture has to be to be considered hurricane resistant? Is the a formal statute or code in Florida?

I have a solid teak patio bar on the way. It’s going against the warm by the pool and weighs about 200 lbs empty. With the stone top and refrigerator, figure 375 lbs or so.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKluge View Post
Does anyone know how heavy a piece of furniture has to be to be considered hurricane resistant? Is the a formal statute or code in Florida?

I have a solid teak patio bar on the way. It’s going against the warm by the pool and weighs about 200 lbs empty. With the stone top and refrigerator, figure 375 lbs or so.
I had a thatched tiki bar that was inside the pool cage that went through Irma fine. But it was heavier.

I think you would be fine, but consider anchoring it to be sure.

What you have to be careful of are items that can get the wind underneath them and act as a sail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes