Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

Of course I will probably get a few bad comments about this, but does anyone actually look forward to hurricane season? Although storms can be destructive, they seem to break the routine of work, traffic, and get neighbors out of their homes. People come over to talk (and get free ice) sit in front of the fan and discuss their problems.

It is not the dull, boring sunny days I remember, but the stormy events which are much more rare. Am I the only one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
I don't like hurricanes, but I don't fear the hurricanes. You are absolutely correct for some reason people get together, talk and provide assistance before and after hurricanes.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,820 times
No, you are not the only one. I find them exciting and it was the first time in 5 years we actually talked with our neighbors. Luckily we didn't have too much damage (we survived 3 in St Lucie county) but the actual storm, especially Wilma was intense. We watched the whole thing from our living room. I have to say the days after Hurricane Frances and Jeanne were brutal for us with no power! The first one we were without it for 11 days, the second 9 days.

Not that I look forward to "H" season, but I do crave the intensity (shhh don't tell anyone!)

Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,782 times
I enjoy hurricane season but I'm living in England at the moment so I'm not exactly in harms way weather wise (although storms and flooding today actually prevented any of us from leaving the village). It's quite enjoyable tracking them and logging onto the USGS website to see how they're developing but it's always sad when something like Katrina happens.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times
Yes, it's exciting, like thunder and lightning. The entire atmosphere changes. The air feels different. It makes me think of how tornado hunters must feel. Certainly makes you realize how small you are compared to the forces of nature.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 PM

66 posts, read 194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Of course I will probably get a few bad comments about this, but does anyone actually look forward to hurricane season? Although storms can be destructive, they seem to break the routine of work, traffic, and get neighbors out of their homes. People come over to talk (and get free ice) sit in front of the fan and discuss their problems.

It is not the dull, boring sunny days I remember, but the stormy events which are much more rare. Am I the only one?
I used to enjoy Hurricanes more when I could see the action, now we have shutters with tiny windows you really can't see out of. Someone needs to make a seethrough shutter system for condos. Please
And that calm after the storm is special. Too bad Hurricanes are so distructive.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
I'm sure several of us like the excitement of storms -- I especially like the afternoon/evening thunderstorms. And I always thought I would like a hurricane until 2004 when I saw so much damage. We were fortunate and received little to no damage but some of our children in Orlando had severe home damage and it's a wonder someone wasn't hurt, since a huge old oak went through one of the grandkid's bedroom ceiling. Another family had to move out of their rental home because of damage, then mold growth. The lack of power for 9-11 days was awful for others as well.

I will never again wish for a hurricane I don't care how badly they want off work or out of school a few days!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:53 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
We need Hurricanes Its part of nature,

Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
We need Hurricanes Its part of nature,
Just like wildfires. Hopefully, your home isn't in their path.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I was living in Mobile when Hurricane Frederick hit in 1979. My roomie & I had a gas stove, so neighbors were bringing over their food for us to cook, we had a huge block party (in the days after). The night it hit, the power went out and it was so dark we couldn't see anything out the window, except for the neighbor across the street - there was a light in their window (lantern? generator?) and it was reasurring every time we heard a horrible noise or wind gust to look out the window and see that shining light. Made us feel not so alone. I really don't remember the bad part of the storm - just the neighborhood coming together afterwards and everyone helping everyone else. Made me believe in people again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes