U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 PM

30 posts, read 218,521 times

Advertisements

What do you guy's think of the Pensacola area? I understand that Hurricane Ivan was pretty bad, that being said how far inland would you have to live to minimize the damage from something like that.
Thanks in Advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 03:47 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,590,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTO View Post
What do you guy's think of the Pensacola area? I understand that Hurricane Ivan was pretty bad, that being said how far inland would you have to live to minimize the damage from something like that.
Thanks in Advance.

Hurricanes tend to weaken once over land because the warm water that fuels them is cut off. They are still powerful though and can spawn tornadoes and do a lot of damage. The scary storm serge that nothing stands up to is not a worry once you move inland.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 AM

66 posts, read 295,322 times
If the left side of a hurricane hits you, the winds will be less and from the north. If the right side hits you, the winds are worse and from the south. Make sure you live in the right place .

Seriously, we have been coming to the Panhandle for 15 years. Now we have a house in Port St. Joe that we lived in for two years and now live in Beacon Hill, next to Mexico Beach, FL. The hurricane action here has been slight. Two years ago Stephen hit to the west. The wind blew. The power was down. It rained a whole bunch. The wonderful power company here, Progress Energy, restored the power in the middle of rain and 40 mph winds. I think that real damage can be had with a direct hit, but 99% of Florida do not get damaged in any one hurricane. What I look for, and this is for any area with large rain storms, is the drainage around your home. The water has to have a place to go. I have seen an inch of water fall so fast that people get flooded because drain pipes are plugged with leaves.

If you can move here, do it. Don't be fooled in thinking a hurricane has your name on it.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 AM

212 posts, read 615,773 times
I live in North Pensacola (10 miles from water) and have had no damage from any storm yet. While I wouldn't recommend buying a stick house on the beach, you can't make your decisions based on worst case scenarios.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,590,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcorbin View Post
If the left side of a hurricane hits you, the winds will be less and from the north. If the right side hits you, the winds are worse and from the south. Make sure you live in the right place .

Seriously, we have been coming to the Panhandle for 15 years. Now we have a house in Port St. Joe that we lived in for two years and now live in Beacon Hill, next to Mexico Beach, FL. The hurricane action here has been slight. Two years ago Stephen hit to the west. The wind blew. The power was down. It rained a whole bunch. The wonderful power company here, Progress Energy, restored the power in the middle of rain and 40 mph winds. I think that real damage can be had with a direct hit, but 99% of Florida do not get damaged in any one hurricane. What I look for, and this is for any area with large rain storms, is the drainage around your home. The water has to have a place to go. I have seen an inch of water fall so fast that people get flooded because drain pipes are plugged with leaves.

If you can move here, do it. Don't be fooled in thinking a hurricane has your name on it.
You bring up something very important. The winds that they like to talk about on the news are only contained in the small right piece of the storm close to the eye. When you see that huge spinning storm on the radar, only about a 2%, if that, area contains those high winds and they dissipate as you move outward as well as when it moves over land. Of course the cameras and news crews will do all they can to find a house with a roof missing and run the shot on a loop like the whole city has blown down.

Most of the storm although not benign, should not cause any problems for a decent built and prepared house. Like everything else, I guess there is money in scaring people. There is a commercial running now buy a place that sells generators doing all they can to scare people and talking about not letting last years mild season fool you. It never stops, people just wanting to get into your pocket in any way they can.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:50 AM

That's great information guy's! I'm from the Midwest, Chicago to be exact, and don't really know much about hurricanes. I could easily understand how the media would sensationalize the aftermath as that's what makes good news.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 PM

66 posts, read 295,322 times
When I was was watching Katrina on the net and the TV news, it was pointed straight at my house for three days while it moved through the Gulf. I had been watching it for two days before that. Then, 'bout 36 hours before it made landfall the track moved west to zero in on MS & LA. I know I was ready to leave the coast. I never have figured out why the New Orleans folks never left. Of course, there are a lot of things about NOLA I don't understand. Anyhow, my point is that you can never be sure of the landfall location and you have to be ready to protect yourself. The Weather Channel and the local NOLA TV & radio stations ALL were saying "Get out." A dozen internet hurricane tracking sites all said the same. 36 hours advance warning. So, I guess I am saying that most of these hurricanes are identified as bad long before they are even close and there is plenty of time to react. As it was, we stayed in Port St. Joe and watched the action on TV. From the news broadcasts, it looked like the people in New Orleans were waiting until after the storm to get their TVs.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM

13,394 posts, read 41,912,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcorbin View Post
Now we have a house in Port St. Joe that we lived in for two years and now live in Beacon Hill, next to Mexico Beach, FL.
I live just down the street from you in St Joe Beach. My kid just went off to meet his friends at Toucan's.
Our first full hurricane season was last summer, but we did move here right as Wilma was doing her thing. That was interesting.
Now it looks like we are moving to Amelia Island. Looks like there might be a bit less chance of a storm hitting there, but I agree, if it looks like there is going to be a direct hit, I'd just as soon be outa there.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM

I would assume the farther inland the better off you are. Although, from what I've read from the board, you don't have a great storm surge inland but are then threatened by tornado's spawned by the hurricane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or