Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times

Advertisements

this is how it go's make the prediction here.... and at the end of the hurricane season you will see who had the most accurate prediction... hurricane season starts june first and ends in november.... you only get one prediction so think it out.. i will start my predition.. whats yours??

there will be 17 named tropicle storms in the atlantic in 2009 hurricane season.

9 will become hurricanes.

5 of the 9 will be major hurricanes with cat 3 winds on the saffir simpson scale or higher.

6 of the 9 will make landfall.

3 of the 9 will make landfall in the usa east coast.

2 of the 9 will make catagory 5 on the saffir simpson scale with winds of 155 or greater.

Last edited by cruxan; 03-09-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
This thread probably will be better suited for the Weather forums.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
This thread probably will be better suited for the Weather forums.

ya your probably right.... hi mods can you move this to the weather forum please

Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,037,723 times
Ok..so here are my predictions, with a twist..

Though it may start off with a quick developing storm about 10 days ahead of the official start, im predicting there will be only 10-12 storm events in the Atlantic basin this season..with 7 systems developing into hurricanes. Im predicting this because of a potential shift in the winds in the pacific through out the summer months..read on..

Of those 7, 2 will reach cat.4 with no US landfall or one making a glancing blow near the Keys..and the other near the FL/GA boarder (this one will approach NE FL., then make a hard right back out to sea, just before coming ashore..)

4 storms will reach 2-3 cat. status with 2 making US landfalls..one somewhere in southern FL..and the other near Corpis Christi TX.

1 very erratic storm will reach cat 5 and threaten SW Florida..maybe even briefly stalling just offshore of Tampa before making a hard turn due west toward Mexico, just south of Brownsville where it will land as a 3

The rest of the storms will stay away from the US..though the Bahamas might find themselves in the path of repeated events this year

Heres the twist..

The Eastern Pacific season could feature a marked increase in activity with possibly as many as 17-19 events..with a fairly broad sized cat 1 possibly throwing some moderate wind and rain at Southern CA as it deteriorates just offshore of the CA/BJA CA border, and a cat. 2 storm possibly threatening the big island of Hawaii..

Most other storms here will stay out to sea..though moisture plumes may periodically bring rare summer showers and humid evenings to central and southern CA, and possibly 2 or 3 serious flooding events to southern NV, AZ, and NM. If an abnormally strong SW Monsoonal flow sets up this year,..one of these flash flooding events could effect much of southern CA, and maybe well up into the Central valley as well.

All of this will lead to an evolving EL Nino event in 2010..perhaps quite a strong one too...

Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Just thought id post an interesting update...

Now,..for what it is worth, Accuweather has posted an article on their take on the upcoming hurricane season..

According to their predictions,..the main action this year is looking to be focused further north in the Atlantic basin, more towards the mid-Atlantic states.. with less activity in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico due in part to either neutral or a weak El Nino influence taking hold in the Pacific by mid summer..

They believe that because of this, the large high pressure region over the Atlantic basin at that time of year will keep a majority of the storm activity offshore and/or north of Florida and the Gulf coast region..They also think that an increase in dust storm activity over west Africa this year may somewhat supress activity in the areas of the Caribbean which see increases in tropical events when Africa's dust storms are weaker....

Their general prediction is that we may see fewer storms this year..though it still may be active, just not as active as last year..

The one thing of note was that they believe that there might be one major storm event which effects some portion of the US later in the season..

Regardless of how it all pans out..it will be interesting to follow...

Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,706 times
I think this years hurricane season may be a very weak El Nino. I predicted 12 named storms, 8 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes. One of those 3 major may affect the east cost. the other 2 major will go out to sea.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:41 PM

come on people make you prediction!!! counting down to hurricane season 3 weeks to go..

Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
I hate hurricanes b/c I don't want to have to help my grandparents evacuate from the Charleston, SC area which is long overdue for a major hurricane...they avg 1 every 5 yrs, and Hugo hit 20 yrs ago...that said, my predictions are:

14 Named Storms
9 Hurricanes
4 Major Hurricanes (Cat 3 or higher)
1 Cat 5 Hurricane

I think that 3 hurricanes, 2 major hurricanes, affect the US Coastline somewhere. Also, 2-3 of the Tropical Storms will also affect the U.S. Coast.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM

392 posts, read 1,261,931 times
12 Named Storms
6 Hurricanes
2 Intense / Major

1 intense / major cane will impact the U.S. as well as a T.S. or two

Old 05-16-2009, 03:24 AM

OK..so here is an errie thought..earlier on, id made my predictions for both the 09' Atlantic and Eastern Pacific Hurricane seasons..well, earlier today i read over Accuweathers' take on both...now, while no one can say for certain that any prediction will pan out 100%..A.W.s take seems to follow a similar pace to my own take on the upcomming season..Roughly 10 storms in the Atlantic..and possibly as many as 17-20 in the E. Pac.

If this pans out, this year may follow 92' which saw a record 27 storms form here. This is also the same year Andrew stormed south Florida..so it caught my eye when i saw their predictions..after looking over historical data awhile back..

Really i was trying to figure out what year it was we ( here in central CA.) saw signifigant remnants from a tropical disturbance bring us a freak late summer rainfall...beyond the occasional clouds and thunderstorm or two..which we see so often. That year, a storm (Hilda? i think?) reached as far north as Monterey bay with a fairly intact circulation..and gave us about 3-4 hours of steady light rain, pretty much unherd of here..

Another article i read from NOAA is forecasting the likely possibility of an above normal Monsoon for the desert S.W. this summer as well..

As for the Atlantic..A.W. is saying that storms which might threaten the U. S. may originate either further north along the atlantic sea board or further west in the Gulf of Mexico then in years past..something they had discussed before..

The also article said that the Carribean may be lack luster or pretty much shut off this year due to more dry air then normal comming off N.W. Africa which might strongly reduce overall development in that region..

They, along with another weather site are also seeing signs of a warming in the E. Pacific, the possible signs of a developing El Nino...we'll see how this one pans out..regardless, i just hope we get a couple good storms out of it... perhaps something never recorded since records were kept??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes