U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 PM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 13,263,559 times
Reputation: 998

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I can only speak for Fort Lauderdale but in a hundred years we have only had a hand full of hurricanes and have lost electric a couple of times. The last two years was like the first time I remember in maybe the last 30 years. On the other hand in a place like Oil City, harsh winters come almost every year like clock work often paralyzing cities and wires come down and you are without electric as well as frozen pipes and cars that won't start, of course you can't drive anywhere anyway. No kidding, are you for real? I know you don't like heat but if you can objectively see it in a realistic light it is ridiculous comparing living in the two places, up there and down here when it comes to inconvenience and dangers created by weather. People die there every year from the winters.

Hurricanes destroy houses, old man winter doesnt. A heavy snowstorm can indeed knock wires and branches. There is gas heating so as long as the gas pipes dont break, I have heat. If the heat stops working, ill just shut off the valve and open all the faucets in my house to empty the pipes. Oh and ill have some wood in the basement along with a fireplace or woodburning stove and ill sit near it to keep warm. Much easier to stay warm than cool without electric. Was so miserably hot when the hurricane cut electric. Even swimming in the middle of the night failed to cool me down and the mosquitos were biting so I couldnt stay out long. Sorry, but ill take the winters anyday
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,590,850 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Hurricanes destroy houses, old man winter doesnt. A heavy snowstorm can indeed knock wires and branches. There is gas heating so as long as the gas pipes dont break, I have heat. If the heat stops working, ill just shut off the valve and open all the faucets in my house to empty the pipes. Oh and ill have some wood in the basement along with a fireplace or woodburning stove and ill sit near it to keep warm. Much easier to stay warm than cool without electric. Was so miserably hot when the hurricane cut electric. Even swimming in the middle of the night failed to cool me down and the mosquitos were biting so I couldnt stay out long. Sorry, but ill take the winters anyday
Which hurricane are you reffering to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 PM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 13,263,559 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Which hurricane are you reffering to?

I know one of them was Wilma, was thru a few others that I dont care to remember, I hate them!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 PM
 
Location: PA
669 posts, read 3,009,151 times
Reputation: 279
Plenty of people die from cold too. You take it lightly but when your Oil City $10k shack blows over in a 10mph wind, good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2007, 11:55 PM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 13,263,559 times
Reputation: 998
LOL ill probably spend a little more than $10k or if I buy one for $10k we will do the neccessary repairs. You make me laugh with your lack of knowlege on Oil City. I am saving up, could have enough to visit in mid May and can kill two birds with one stone because my dad's cousin's wedding is a little further north than Oil City, will attend the wedding before or after I visit Oil City. I will then know exactly what kind of house my money gets me and then you can never comment again about Oil City as you have never been there and I will go there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 04:13 AM
 
Location: PA
669 posts, read 3,009,151 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
LOL ill probably spend a little more than $10k or if I buy one for $10k we will do the neccessary repairs. You make me laugh with your lack of knowlege on Oil City. I am saving up, could have enough to visit in mid May and can kill two birds with one stone because my dad's cousin's wedding is a little further north than Oil City, will attend the wedding before or after I visit Oil City. I will then know exactly what kind of house my money gets me and then you can never comment again about Oil City as you have never been there and I will go there.
Well you make me laugh with your lack of knowledge about LIFE.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 AM
 
4,422 posts, read 6,449,029 times
Reputation: 10872
Excuse me, but what/where exactly is Oil City? It sounds so.... greasy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
598 posts, read 2,094,335 times
Reputation: 212
NAH - Have you looked at TN? There are very inexpensive decent homes around the tri-cities area (Johnson City, Kingsport) and I'm sure the job market is 300% better there, not to mention WAY less snow and way more tolerable warm season than S FL and NO STATE INCOME tax (unlike PA that taxes you to death)... you should seriuosly check it out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
598 posts, read 2,094,335 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Excuse me, but what/where exactly is Oil City? It sounds so.... greasy.
North west PA... near Lake Erie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 24,562,470 times
Reputation: 4934
[quote=summergal;496770]It may help the stress of worrying the house would blow away but it wouldn't even touch the stress the insurance rates afterwards would cause![/QUOTE

Well if you do not have insurance it doesn't apply does it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top