Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

There so many complaints about hurricanes, but what if you never had to worry about them? Let's say your home had a concrete roof, heavy-duty lexan windows, steel doors and was well reinforced. Homes in a flood zone were raised up, and you had a garage to secure your car and objects, and maybe a protected courtyard. All trees are tough natives, and you have a neighborhood mulcher, or your own for the cleanup. In short when you have a hurricane warning all you do is close the windows and check the generator, and fold over the solar panels. You can run the generator when power goes out, and/or backup batteries. After the storm you have full power, and plenty of food. Just spend the day picking up tree branches, mulching and cleaning up sand or mud. Next day all is done. You have plenty of fuel for a month without utility power, if necessary. Plenty of hot water and air conditioning. Would this make you feel better instead of living in a wood roof- crackerbox or dependant condo like most do now? Or is the thought of a hurricane the source of stress itself? Remember in my scenario your home WILL NOT be damaged.

By the way this IS possible if people learn how to build correctly, and do not have to worry about homeowners associations or elitist zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
There so many complaints about hurricanes, but what if you never had to worry about them? Let's say your home had a concrete roof, heavy-duty lexan windows, steel doors and was well reinforced. Homes in a flood zone were raised up, and you had a garage to secure your car and objects, and maybe a protected courtyard. All trees are tough natives, and you have a neighborhood mulcher, or your own for the cleanup. In short when you have a hurricane warning all you do is close the windows and check the generator, and fold over the solar panels. You can run the generator when power goes out, and/or backup batteries. After the storm you have full power, and plenty of food. Just spend the day picking up tree branches, mulching and cleaning up sand or mud. Next day all is done. You have plenty of fuel for a month without utility power, if necessary. Plenty of hot water and air conditioning. Would this make you feel better instead of living in a wood roof- crackerbox or dependant condo like most do now? Or is the thought of a hurricane the source of stress itself? Remember in my scenario your home WILL NOT be damaged.

By the way this IS possible if people learn how to build correctly, and do not have to worry about homeowners associations or elitist zoning.
Check out this house
http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/DA...e-katrina.html

Old 03-25-2007, 05:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
As someone that went through Hurricane Andrew (Cat 5) it would help if I knew the house would make it through with no issues, for sure. Since Andrew, I still get anxious when even a tropical storm comes, so I would probably still be anxious, but it would help. But I have to say this, a CBS (Concrete Block Stone) with wood roof can make it through a cat 5 storm if built properly. My parents wood roof only lost shingles, the roof stayed put through Andrew. (obviously nothing hit the roof and a tornado didn't hit the house either during the hurricane)

Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
I would be worried if any hurricane stronger than a cat. 2 came at us. My parents house had no problem during the cat. 1 hurricanes we were thru. Our playground did tip over as well as many trees. Some chipped tiles on the roof. A tree almost fell on my mom's car, woulda sucked! Then theres two weeks without electric, thats the most miserable part. I prefer living where theres no canes.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Well technically there have been canes as far north as Maine so in Ohio/West Virginia/PA, you might see one once every several years. Usually it's weak and depressed, but it's a hurricane nonetheless.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
It may help the stress of worrying the house would blow away but it wouldn't even touch the stress the insurance rates afterwards would cause!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Well technically there have been canes as far north as Maine so in Ohio/West Virginia/PA, you might see one once every several years. Usually it's weak and depressed, but it's a hurricane nonetheless.

Doubt Oil City has ever seen anything more than a tropical depression and I know what they are like, cant even tell them from a typical rainstorm.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
NAH: Doubt Oil City has ever seen anything more than a tropical depression and I know what they are like, cant even tell them from a typical rainstorm.
Well, up north you DO get what are called "tail ends of hurricanes." This includes inland in the northeast. The storms and winds are heavier than a normal rainstorm, however, it is not a hurricane like Florida gets.

Last edited by Wisteria; 03-25-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Well Oil City is pretty far inland and we all know hurricanes rapidly lose strength as they go away from the warm oceans inland. Also the further north, the cooler the oceans are. Honestly a hurricane in Oil City is about the last thing im worried about. Tornados are more of a worry, even blizzards are.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I would be worried if any hurricane stronger than a cat. 2 came at us. My parents house had no problem during the cat. 1 hurricanes we were thru. Our playground did tip over as well as many trees. Some chipped tiles on the roof. A tree almost fell on my mom's car, woulda sucked! Then theres two weeks without electric, thats the most miserable part. I prefer living where theres no canes.
I can only speak for Fort Lauderdale but in a hundred years we have only had a hand full of hurricanes and have lost electric a couple of times. The last two years was like the first time I remember in maybe the last 30 years. On the other hand in a place like Oil City, harsh winters come almost every year like clock work often paralyzing cities and wires come down and you are without electric as well as frozen pipes and cars that won't start, of course you can't drive anywhere anyway. No kidding, are you for real? I know you don't like heat but if you can objectively see it in a realistic light it is ridiculous comparing living in the two places, up there and down here when it comes to inconvenience and dangers created by weather. People die there every year from the winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes