Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:17 AM

217 posts, read 845,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I really need to take some pics, but I deliberately let it get run-down to try and get my home assessed lower. Once the tax situation is decided I will fix up, either to stay or to move. I am so confident in the quality of my home that I no longer evacuate for anything under cat 3. If I lose my home and/or life in a hurricane it was just meant to be.
I see. Well, that's good, that you're confident about it that is, and what will be will be. Actually any time my brother's evacuated, his own home's been fine and wherever he went to evacuate got hit worse, so now he just stays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 04:36 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I have lived in Miami my whole life 30 years (with the exception of 4 years for school) and have been through too many hurricance to list. But I do remember the Big One Andrew. After you go through something like Andrew (which wasn't forecast to hit where it hit, at the very last minute before landfall it turned) you listen to what the forecasters say (even if they are not sure) and you just prepare.
What other hurricanes besides Andrew? I don't remember any.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Last year we had the luck of the jet stream. When the jet stream is low like it was last year its great news for us as far as storms. This year the jet stream will be high and thats not good news for us. Right now in Lee County we are at a 715 drought index and alot of wells are dry. My ponds are lower then I can remember but we were never this dry. Rain is needed bad!!!
A storm this year could be a good thing. I know it sounds bad but a cat-1 or 2 would be a blessing for the drought and to flush the rivers.
Didn't they take the jet stream theory into consideration last year or did they just rely on the temp theory? Do you know.

BTW how does Myrtle Beach fair on these hurricanes? I've done some research but didn't find that much...I'm moving there

Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
There hasn't been a major Hurricane yet.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
There hasn't been a major Hurricane yet.
Yes, and we're now into the second month of the season.

::knocks on wood::

Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 AM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
Right, let's knock on wood. The height of hurricane season doesn't really get started until August; the peak is around 10th-11th of September.

Quite a while back, LadyWithaFan said
Quote:
I think a few years back, we had a hurricane going on & they were moving the planes at Andrews Air base up in the panhandle. As it turned out, the hurricane didn't show up & low & behold, they crashed a plane into someone's home....which, just goes to show you, there's nowhere really safe...hide in your house, & a plane lands on it...
I'm sorry, but LOL - and ain't it the truth. There was an item on the news several months ago about a couple who fled the panhandle after Ivan and had a new home built up in TN. Just after the home was finished, it was wrecked by a tornado. We can run, but we can't hide

Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
Right, let's knock on wood. The height of hurricane season doesn't really get started until August; the peak is around 10th-11th of September.

Quite a while back, LadyWithaFan said

I'm sorry, but LOL - and ain't it the truth. There was an item on the news several months ago about a couple who fled the panhandle after Ivan and had a new home built up in TN. Just after the home was finished, it was wrecked by a tornado. We can run, but we can't hide
To hurricane predictors...what a joke!!. Lets take a chart, throw it at a board full of numbers and see what it says. You can't predict more than 7 days in advance in regards to the weather yet we ACTUALLY listen to these guys like they know something. Comical.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:15 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
To hurricane predictors...what a joke!!. Lets take a chart, throw it at a board full of numbers and see what it says. You can't predict more than 7 days in advance in regards to the weather yet we ACTUALLY listen to these guys like they know something. Comical.
I totally agree with you. Actually, they don't accurately report the weather in a seven day span

They did have a story about this very same thing on the weather channel and they said it was actually two totally different things. The short term predictions were done by meterologisits and the long term predictions have more to do with actual science so they're supposed to be more accurate.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Didn't they take the jet stream theory into consideration last year or did they just rely on the temp theory? Do you know.

BTW how does Myrtle Beach fair on these hurricanes? I've done some research but didn't find that much...I'm moving there
It's coastal...HELLO?

My family's house on Isle of Palms, They lost two corner glass windows & did not flood as they built up way above code on pilings...right on beach....the house next to them, was built to minimum code and is no longer standing...my xhusband's uncle acquired a nice staircase from next door....

Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 PM

136 posts, read 751,740 times
Predicting hurricanes is a lot different than short term weather forecasting. The different patterns and signals that are watched for a long term forecast are much easier to note because they do not change instantly. Oscillations, El Ninos/La Ninas.. these are things that do not change over night and in many cases take well over a year to shift and their changes are well noted.

That being said.. as a weather buff.. I do not think this year will be AS bad as some as predicted, BUT the real season isn't going to begin for a few more weeks anyway. Not with the development of a La Nina underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes