Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,434 times

Advertisements

The ICF wall combines solid, reinforced concrete with high-density expanded polystyrene and welded steel to set a new standard for the construction industry by creating structures that are more comfortable, energy efficient and structurally secure than those built with the increasingly outmoded traditional building systems we have come to accept as the standard way to build. Concrete homes, apartments, condominiums, and/or commercial, industrial and retail buildings are also more environmentally responsible, sustainable, and “green” when they are constructed with, and encapsulated in, ICF Forms. PolySteel provides you, or your customer, the best economic and environmental value available in building the quality living and working environment of your dreams.
A wall system that is rated at 200 mph, has R-50 insulation,and has a 4 hour fire rating for about 2-6% more than normal block construction!
In other hurricane prone countries, concrete homes are the standard for all .
Why do we in Florida continue to to let sub-standard wood framed homes & block homes be built. WAKE-UP

Last edited by Mike Norris; 08-02-2007 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Add on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,119 times
I agree that the ICF homes are strong without question; however to dismiss "stick" built houses is not quite valid. I rode out both Francis and Jeanne in my stick house which is one house back from the beach. Many CBS homes were damaged very badly all around me-I didnt have any problems except for a few lost shingles and many trees down. Its all in how you build the house; strapping for each rafter, triple top plates, roof nailed every 6 inches, 6 nails per shingle, all wall studs doubled up and strapped to top and bottom plates etc etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,434 times
Default Wood vs ICF Constuction

The two don't compare.
My problem is that the codes and building practice's in Fl don't inspire confidence. The normal builder in this state is to worried about his profit
margin & lack of sales. The bottom line is that peoples lifes are at stake.
Built right wood or block homes can be made safe.
You must have a quality constructed wood home.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:48 PM

628 posts, read 1,316,119 times
Mike
You are right-the two dont compare, but you can build a wood house that is better than the average Florida built house. My house is built well but "someone" must have been watching over me too!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Yet what is the roof made of? Wood of course. I refuse to ever use wood for any roof I build. It is a lifetime of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes