Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:07 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
My house is a 1984 Mobile Home
Enough said. Leave if there's even a heavy wind.

Pre-Andrew mobile homes are death traps. The standards were raised tremendously after 1991, and that's why mobile homes built prior to that cost considerably less. You're taking a chance riding it out in a 25 year old model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times
Nothing is safe but I would say Cat 1 or maybe a weak 2

Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I woulod definite leave as I have live thru a area where storms have hit all my life. If a storm surge like Iks(cat2) is coming it acts like no wind strom I have ever seen. It looked like everything near the coast was raked over not even leaving grass.Areas with rivers and channels 30 miles from the coast were under 8" of water from surge that had never flooded with any other storm. Town of 3500 homes in that city had 4 that were not flooded out.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
First, if you're thinking about heading out for an evacuation, get yourself a personal navigation system and a couple of gazetteer paper map books. The idea is to stay off the Interstates and on what are essentally secondary roads as long as possible. Your neighbors will know someone who has horror stories of getting stuck on I-65 in Alabama during the botched Hurricane Opal evacuation plan. I'd also think going east or west instead of north because it's easier to get to a point where the storm is going to miss. Think Tallahassee, Lake City, Jacksonville, Gainesville, etc.

As far as staying in a mobile home, even with retrofits, a 1980s model is not going to be as safe as a post-Andrew mid-90s home that had to meet all kinds of stricter HUD hurricane codes. I'm going to go against the grain and say I'd probably stay in the storage building built to category 3 wind speeds. Home is home and it's no fun being 200 miles away and not knowing what's going on.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
In a mobile anything stronger than a CAT 1 I would leave.

I had a home on Miami Beach built solid concrete in 1926. Honestly If I had a strong home inland with shutters and up to code anything but a 5 I would stay in. Why is a school gyms safer than a well built home?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Well, it depends: what kind of building do you live in, when was it built, what your elevation is in relationship to the surrounding land, whether the storm is mostly wind or mostly rain, whether you have trees in your yard and what kind....

Charley was a Category 1 when it exited Florida, and it kicked our butt. OTOH, I've ridden out Category twos with not so much as a flicker of the cable TV.

In general, I go with the "Jim Cantore factor":
If the Weather Channel is broadcasting live from within 50 miles of your house, pay attention.
From within 20 miles of your house, be concerned.
If it's 10 miles, get your house ready for a good hard storm.
And if it's 10 miles and Jim Cantore's doing the story, RUN.
haha this made me laugh. we've been watching him all week on TWC for Hurricane Week and enjoy how excited he gets over the storms......and we're moving to Florida next week actually so this is pretty relevant to us.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 AM

593 posts, read 1,916,545 times
Staying in a mobile home in a hurricane is not smart, imnsho. Sure you might be inland, and that might protect you from the storm surge, but the tornados level mobile homes. that's where death and destruction tends to be at its worst.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:55 AM

593 posts, read 1,916,545 times
Does anyone have a link to GFDL tracking and tracking maps? my old link doesn't work and the Gfdl model has totally steered me right. thanks!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:55 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
Staying in a mobile home in a hurricane is not smart, imnsho. Sure you might be inland, and that might protect you from the storm surge, but the tornados level mobile homes. that's where death and destruction tends to be at its worst.

Staying in a Mobile Home during a Hurricane is like playing Russian Roulette or signing your own death warrant.....

Even staying in a mobile home in a strong tropical storm is iffy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes