Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times

Advertisements

I just relocated to the Florida Panhandle from Illinois, and im located in Crestview, Fl . which is 30 miles east of Pensacola and 40 miles inland from the Gulf Coast. Im getting ALL kinds of advice on hurricanes and frankly, im not sure which to believe as truth ; here are the most popular opinions ive gotton from long time residents of my area :

1. No need to evacuate for a Cat. 1 and low strength Cat. 2.
2. Evacuate for ANY strength hurricane.

My next door neighbor in a Mobile Home stayed for Hurricane Ivan which was still a Cat. 3. when it reached our neighborhood and he said he could start to feel the home lift a little bit but damage was minimal.

So, im coming to this Forum to see what the consensus is on this before a hurricane comes my way. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
I would tend to believe that 40 miles inland, you are safe. But, I do not know the lay of the land over that direction.

I live eight miles from Galveston Bay and I did not have any flooding to worry about from Ike last fall. I'm about 25-30 feet above sea level, though. But, shingles started flapping, so I'd be gone if a Cat 3 or worse rolled on by...especially because I live on the top floor of a three story apartment.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM

Im at 236' above sea level and there is ALOT of forest between me and the Gulf , so, hopefully that will act as a buffer somewhat. Plus my land is sloped pretty good ...never any standing water. I RV'd on Galveston Island 2 months before Ike hit ; it was a very lovely place. Id imagine they got a few feet of mud and sand from the Surge ? Is it cleaned up now ?

Im also giving some thought to a below ground temporary storm shelter ; If i do it, it will be a cost effective route using a heavy duty underground plastic Cistern that has a pipe inlet and outlet id use for ventilation air. The removable lid would be a few inches above ground level. It would fit 2 adults. $600 .

Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 PM

466 posts, read 928,229 times
Evac if it is a 4, 40 miles, you won't have storm surge. The wind will die down a lot 40 miles in. (unless you too are in amobile home, then 2.)

Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I would say wind wise maybe a cat 1 or low 2. If there are rivers then even a cat1 li9ke Ike can cause flooding if their is no protection.My area has had sevaerl 1'2's and Rita which was a cat 3 with 130mile ahour suctained winds.Ikes center passed 89 miles to the west of us. We had flood protection leveis and the wind danage was nothing. But ten miles form my house and further inland a city of 3500 had 4 houses not flooded. It has never flooded form any other storm. bascially the water came up the river and reached as hgh as 8 feet in the city.Nearby the beach areas which many homes had with stood higher winds in storms like Rita with normal damage wher wiped out and the landscape not even the same. Ike was surge event and much different from any storm I have seen in my 60 years. Having spent numerous years in Destin in the winter ;I can say that a stormj like this would wipe it from the map. It wouldn't even be recognizable because it wipes away all roads and everyhting become a battering ram. So be sure and remember that the wind is really the only thing to consider when thinking evacuation.My home ten miles away from the city mentioned and protected by levy system was not damaged at all.The city mentioned was 89 miles from the center and 41 miles from the coast.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
What is the house built with Stick or CBS (Concrete Block Stone)? Do you have shutters, the metal ones? And that mobile home next door how old do you think it is? And how close to your house it? I have been through Hurricane Andrew a Cat 5 hurricane, if you could give us some answers I think we can better answer this one for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I just relocated to the Florida Panhandle from Illinois, and im located in Crestview, Fl . which is 30 miles east of Pensacola and 40 miles inland from the Gulf Coast. Im getting ALL kinds of advice on hurricanes and frankly, im not sure which to believe as truth ; here are the most popular opinions ive gotton from long time residents of my area :

1. No need to evacuate for a Cat. 1 and low strength Cat. 2.
2. Evacuate for ANY strength hurricane.

My next door neighbor in a Mobile Home stayed for Hurricane Ivan which was still a Cat. 3. when it reached our neighborhood and he said he could start to feel the home lift a little bit but damage was minimal.

So, im coming to this Forum to see what the consensus is on this before a hurricane comes my way. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 AM

392 posts, read 1,260,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Evac if it is a 4, 40 miles, you won't have storm surge. The wind will die down a lot 40 miles in. (unless you too are in amobile home, then 2.)
40 miles inland you're not going to have winds dying down ALOT.....
If you have a fast moving Cat 3 storm.. those winds will not have time to die down 40 miles inland..... Every storm is different. Be prepared.

ALSO, do not ride out ANY HURRICANE in a mobile home... EVACUATE

Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
There are tornadoes to deal with when there is a hurricane. SouthAfrica75 is correct, if you're in a mobile home, get out. Frankly, I think your neighbor is either a bit of a kook or has been "numbed" by having evacuated in the past. If you do evacuate, be prepared (gather meds, bottled water, etc.) and be sure to have your driver's license with your address on the license to get back in to assess damage because the police are busy protecting their own homes/families and it can get sketchy. Most newspapers will have a checklist to help you ready for the season, follow it. If you have pets you will have to find alternative arrangements, do that now.

You will have sufficient advance notice, follow your instincts but do not follow your neighbor's advice, my opinion.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:29 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Oddly enough, just the wrong tropical storm or rain storm can cause a great deal of damage depending on where you live, the type of trees you have, the proximity to a lake/river/shoreline or the elevation of your house. Florida has weather patterns that can either be a blessing or a curse. I grew up in various parts of Florida and spent a great many years living on the beach.....and it's always a hard call on whether to evacuate or stay put. I generally follow the advice of the weather officials.

ALWAYS have a few hundred dollars available during hurricane season just in case! It will help you make better choices than finding yourself broke in a bad situation.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
What is the house built with Stick or CBS (Concrete Block Stone)? Do you have shutters, the metal ones? And that mobile home next door how old do you think it is? And how close to your house it? I have been through Hurricane Andrew a Cat 5 hurricane, if you could give us some answers I think we can better answer this one for you.
My house is a 1984 Mobile Home, and my neighbors is a 1980's Mobile as well. Both have been updated with straps under the Mobile every 4 feet and anchored into the ground. No shutters, just double pane windows. My neighbors house is about 600' from mine . He rode out a Cat. 3 (Ivan) and said it was a bit scary as he could feel the Mobile trying to lift up. He had some roof damage but not extensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes