Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times

Advertisements

Breaking news: Floridians who are taking part in the state's hurricane mitigation program will receive the money the state promised. The My Safe Florida Home program was created last year to help residents strengthen their homes against hurricanes. For those homeowners who qualified for the program, the state was to match up to 5 thousand dollars for approved work. But letters sent out in recent weeks indicated the maximum match would be less than the 5 thousand dollars promised. The Department of Financial Services says there was some confusion in the original letter and that the amount of matching money the state will provide those participating in the program has not changed.

Did you apply?

Any word yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM

251 posts, read 885,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Breaking news: Floridians who are taking part in the state's hurricane mitigation program will receive the money the state promised. The My Safe Florida Home program was created last year to help residents strengthen their homes against hurricanes. For those homeowners who qualified for the program, the state was to match up to 5 thousand dollars for approved work. But letters sent out in recent weeks indicated the maximum match would be less than the 5 thousand dollars promised. The Department of Financial Services says there was some confusion in the original letter and that the amount of matching money the state will provide those participating in the program has not changed.

Did you apply?

Any word yet?
Hi Sunrico90
I am not sure if you read any of my posts but I am knee deep in the insurance problems in Florida. I have met with the Governor twice, and Kevin McCarty several times. It is my understanding about the My Safe Florida Home Program will match "up to 5k" but it is not guaranteed. Also there are only a few areas in the state that the money will go to at this point. Also at this time there is no money to match grants they are still in the phase of inspections. There will be some things decided in committee early next week. If I hear anything more I will post it. I personally think it is a broken program from the start and will die without any actual grants being given...that however is just my opinion

Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
Hi Sunrico90
I am not sure if you read any of my posts but I am knee deep in the insurance problems in Florida. I have met with the Governor twice, and Kevin McCarty several times. It is my understanding about the My Safe Florida Home Program will match "up to 5k" but it is not guaranteed. Also there are only a few areas in the state that the money will go to at this point. Also at this time there is no money to match grants they are still in the phase of inspections. There will be some things decided in committee early next week. If I hear anything more I will post it. I personally think it is a broken program from the start and will die without any actual grants being given...that however is just my opinion
We have some homes in the area that are getting help and work is on going to improve the house at no cost to the owners. Actually this is taken place in a senior citizens mobile home park.

The post was reported by a central Florida newspaper two days ago. Is this a lie?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
We have some homes in the area that are getting help and work is on going to improve the house at no cost to the owners. Actually this is taken place in a senior citizens mobile home park.

The post was reported by a central Florida newspaper two days ago. Is this a lie?
I read where some were charging foolish people $150. to apply for the money. They have the people fooled into thinking just apply and a check from the government for $5000 will just show up. I guess they do the paper work for them. No matter what it is someone will figure a way to rip someong off.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 PM

251 posts, read 885,877 times
Quote:

I can tell you under "My Safe Florida Homes" there is no work going on at NO cost to the owners. You have to match the grant and you have to put the money out to pay for all the work PRIOR to getting the matching grant money. There is a low income program grant that will offer up to 5k with no match from the homeowner but you have to be below poverty level. It is also my understanding that to date NO grant money has been given out for actual work/repairs, only money for inspections. Maybe there is a local program that is helping people in that area. If I hear anything else I will post it.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
Thank you Sunshinestate and also to sunrico90. I applied last year and heard nothing. Almost forgot that I had applied until I saw this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes