U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 AM

593 posts, read 1,711,307 times

Advertisements

In a Hurricane me and the kids would have to evacuate as I am in an old trashed up apartment that juts over the beach with 35 year old east, north, and south windows all around. The East side shutters work and the south side can be pulled shut probably by someone much stronger than I am. But the north side shutters are broken, the windows are 35 years old and leak like mad.

The elevator in my building is out for two months so I can't really carry out and relocate my stuff in a storm (where would i put it anyway?) so I am trying to find a way to protect my stuff: i have an extensive collection of uninsurable junk that I care lot about: photos, press clippings, journals i've written for, papers, etc. all stuff that would get trashed in the rain. there is no wa to get to the windows on the outside of the building without a super long ladder, i am straight up. so anything would have to be done from the inside. One double window in particular is already cracked and leaks like mad and shakes around in the wind.

landlord is in california and at the rent i am paying won't fix anything. overall, i am lucky to get this location on a tight budget. but i am scared to death of a hurricane coming. i would have to leave my cat here. every room has windows on more than one wall except the bathrooms. I guess I could leave my poor kitty in a bathroom (shelters don't take pets and i have to look out for the kids first).

is it possible to block windows from the inside? even a storm blowing off the ocean can be impressive here. i just want to come up with a plan in case soemthign comes pointed at us. what to do and where to go.

any ideas? the building does nothing to help. and with it being summer and there being no elevator the place is empty. I could find a handyman to help if i had a plan.

thanks

i am in north broward county
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 AM

392 posts, read 1,147,800 times
Bocamom

1. Make sure you have renters insurance to cover your personal belonging.

2. For your clippings, photos etc., you can buy a medium / large plastic bin with a lid. Place your items inside and seal it with duct tape. Then place the bin into 1 or 2 large plastic bags and seal the bags. Then place in an interior room off the floor or take with you.....

3. Where are your going to evacuate to ? I would ask friends NOW if you could go to their house in the event of a storm. If you have no friends that you can go to, you could look into a hotel or as a LAST RESORT a Hurricane Evacuation Shelter.

4. Your Cat.... There is 1 pet friendly shelter in Broward County for residents that are required to evacuate... Humane Society of Broward County 954-989-3977. You have to register IN ADVANCE and in person. There are also Pet Friendly hotels you could look into going to..... check here.... Humane Society of Broward County - Pet Friendly Hotel and Motels

Hope this helps you.... Ask or pm me if you need more assistance

Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks!

I am a floridian (ie lazy) through and through. when my long term homeowners/ then renters company (nationwide) refused to write a policy here i just decided to go without.

i am mostly wondering what to do with the window in my son's room which will break, perhaps, in a tropical depression. just a bit of hail could do it. the north corner of the building, direct ocean south of a natural inlet, is weathered badly. there are four windows in sets of two, the ones in my roomare iffy at best, but the ones in my son's room are the worst. all of the windows in the apartment need to be propped open, but the ones in his room don't slide up and down, and leak. the shutters outside it don't budge. and it is a ways up the flat side of the building. literally it is so bad that i leave the key west shutters on al he time, to sort f block out the window, even though there's ocean/lighthouse view there.

if a storm were coming my landlord say i can do what i need to. i just don't know what one can do.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 AM

I can't say it enough... but renters insurance is a must.... In this economy the last thing someone needs is a fire, burst pipe, storm and no insurance to replace your clothes and furniture..... Call Florida Peninsula Insurance and see if they will do it.

Basically, not being on the 1st floor, there is nothing you can do with the windows without putting your own money into it.
The only thing you can do is to have security window film installed with the silicone beading around it to hold the glass in place in the event it breaks. I've done it as second barrier if a shutter fails.

If it's that bad and from what you're saying it is, start looking for a new place to live.

Your landlord stated "do what you need to do if a storm where coming".... It's basically, pack a bag and "get out".

Landlord obviously has insurance on the building and he is probably hoping that a storm comes, destroys the place and he gets paid out.....

Old 08-22-2009, 12:12 AM

That's what I was thinking. So I will look into the renter's insurance. I should have done it today. Hmmmm. Thank you for pounding the point, i'm fairly slow, in heat survival mode, and needed the extra push. That huge storm way out there that is making the waves sound like thunder as they wash over half the beach up to the volleyball courts once in a while is motivational as well, but less welcome. It seems like it will be a real PITA to get out of the south in the event something like this comes at us with a less favorable forecast than we are accustomed to.

And I was thinking to get a storage unit for some of my irreplaceable valueless stuff - about 6x6 of paper and photos and negatives and cds, old backup hard drives, etc. Where does one put that stuff? I should also have a safe deposit box for a few key pieces of paper. banks generally don't wash away. I'll pick one high above sea level: dixie ridge.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,488,191 times
What ever you end up doing, please do not leave the cat behind. Make sure you have a carrier, if you don't already have one. The other member mentioned the shelter in Broward that allows pets, you may have to sign up with the shelter in advance if you don't have a friend or family to stay with. So check now if you will need to sign up.

Renters Insurance is a must. Is there a handy man for the building? If there is maybe you can get him to open up the shutters and grease the sliders. And when he is there ask him who will secure the shutters if a storm threatens. Who nows maybe he has a deal with the landlord, or he can make a deal with the landlord, extra money in his pocket. If there is no handyman, make friends with a guy with a truck and large ladder that can help you secure the shutters. The more you can do to help yourself the less of a hassle it will be for you after a storm hits.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM

51 posts, read 330,963 times
Default "Hurricane Window Film" is a myth and not supported by experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfrica75 View Post
Basically, not being on the 1st floor, there is nothing you can do with the windows without putting your own money into it. The only thing you can do is to have security window film installed with the silicone beading around it to hold the glass in place in the event it breaks. I've done it as second barrier if a shutter fails.
It’s dangerous to suggest or misrepresent safety film as 'hurricane film' to consumers in Florida. Applied films don't have any approval for this type of use in our Florida communities. There aren’t any films that have passed the Florida Building Code or Miami-Dade product approval requirements. Applied films do not stand up to the testing and lack strength to be added into the category of hurricane protection. There are some film companies that promote and advertise these products to unsuspecting consumers. They are often disreputable con men posing as hurricane protectives companies. Go to www.truthaboutwindowfilm.info to review facts.

International Window Film Association
Clarification Letter

“The window film industry is extremely concerned about erroneous or misleading information about the benefits of its products as related to occupant protection during hurricane or other high wind events."

Florida Building Code

"Window Film is not considered to be hurricane protection, either by insurance companies or building codes."

Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board
Memo To: Interested Parties

"The Pinellas County Licensing Board has found that Window Film does not qualify under the Florida Building Code as approved hurricane protection for commercial and/or residential structures."

Hurricane Retrofit Guide
FloridaDisaster.org

“Experts and the building codes do not consider window film to be an adequate protection for windows of homes in hurricane-prone areas.
International Window Film Association letter prepared for the Florida Attorney General's office concerning dealers selling window film to Florida residents for use as a hurricane protection product.”

Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM

20,871 posts, read 19,369,284 times
Good post preparedness.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM

PREPAREDNESS EXPERT........

I never suggested or misrepresented that security window film is approved by any building code in the State of Florida. I am very very well aware that it is not !!

I will say that having something (security film) is better than having nothing on a window during a hurricane.....

Please read the original post that I replied to and you will see why I suggested what I suggested.

As you can see from my post... I have security film as a second barrier in the event my shutter fails

Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 AM

51 posts, read 330,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfrica75 View Post
PREPAREDNESS EXPERT........

I never suggested or misrepresented that security window film is approved by any building code in the State of Florida. I am very very well aware that it is not !!

I will say that having something (security film) is better than having nothing on a window during a hurricane.....
My apologies to SouthAfrica75. I did not intend to demean his position. I only meant to offer the warnings and official position of the experts in the field. I agree with him that safety and security film does have some benefits and it is an excellent choice for a secondary barrier.

As a contractor and researcher I have recommended safety and security film in some situations as an exception to the rule – precisely because applied films do offer something better then nothing – maybe just not at that cost.

I personally don’t have a problem with any non-approved products as long as the consumer is aware of their applications and limited use. I have a close friend who owns an applied film company – and have recommend his product to my clients in those specific situations that would beneift from its use.

Take note that my friend is not licensed and promotes his product without deception. (Applied film companies do not require contractors license and many do not have one).

He may well be one of a few exceptions…. although I know a couple who owns a local film company who I respect and give credit for legitimate film advertising & installation practices in this difficult economy.

Last edited by preparedness expert; 07-08-2010 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes