Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,670 times

Advertisements

I almost forgot Hardee and Desoto counties are counties where most of your food is grown each and every day. Oranges, Tomatoes, cucumbers ect ect ect.

And they were all left to fend for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:24 PM

813 posts, read 951,261 times
Closest to a hurricane I have been was in Fiji whilst on my honeymoon back in December 2007.

It was a category 4 hurricane with winds up to 250km/hr (155miles/hr).

Luckily it missed us but it was eery to see it off in the distance and know any change of direction and we'd be in the thick of it.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:39 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
No, I've only been in a typhoon.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM

232 posts, read 773,362 times
2004:
Frances - spent it in Stuart at my father's house. Just lasted forever it seemed. Alot of damage afterwards. Remember going out in the eye of the storm and how eerie it was out. Without electric for probably a week. Was crazy how people "over" prepared. Like our office packing away all of the computers, etc. The worst was the aftermath of waiting for the electric to come back. Slept in the office a few nights.

Jeanne - alot of people left for Tampa and the storm changed routes that way. Wasnt nearly as bad as Frances. Do not remember being without power

2005:
Katrina - remember how power went out and thought we were in for it but came on suddenly 20 minutes later and miraculously stayed on.

Wilma - was in Delray Beach at the time and this was easily the worst of the bunch. Shockingly considered the route it took. We did not board up or anything so watched the hurricane from inside. The eye went accross and remember talking to my friend in Palm Beach Gardens and she was in the eye at the same time - didnt think it would be that big. Incredible how big that storm was and how much damage it created from Miami to North Palm Beach. Best part about that storm was a cold front immediately followed so actually enjoyed the nights with no electric. Was without it for at least 10 days.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
WOW, this is my first time in this forum. Starlady the vid you posted is taken in the parking lot of the Suntrust Bank on the corner of Olean Blvd and Aaron St.
I live a half mile from there. Personally I so much lucked out during that storm where as a few of my neighbors did not fare so well.
I did lose the roof on my Florida room, still very lucky. That brought back some pretty vivid memories. I was pretty freaking scared.
One thing though, my entire neighborhood all got together after the storm and we all helped eachother out.
If you needed food, water, coffee or a hand patching up your roof with tarps, cleaning the debris up..
It brought us all together and it's good to know if something like this happins again I know we will all band together again.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM

61 posts, read 197,302 times
never gone through a true hurricane, but i have experienced hurricane force winds. i remember walking into the kitchen only to notice that the windows looked like they were bending or bulging... it was wierd.
my uncle always talks about hurricane celia which he said caused some serious damage to my city.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM

42 posts, read 107,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have never been in a Hurricane before only when I was younger but I do not remember. I would to know what were your experiences. Begin and thanks
When I was four, I went through Floyd. From what I can remember, I was standing under my breezeway and the wind was howling, ruffling my hair. The rain whipped at the ground and tree limbs fell like dominoes in a row. That's all I can remember.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Hazel and if memory is working right it was about 1954. We lived a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. My mother had told me it was windy and not to go outside. I didn't listen and went outside anyway. My mother had to rescue me from the front porch holding on to the porch post.

Hugo, 1989, and again I hope my memory is still holding. I came home from work and my husband was putting patio furniture into our garage. I asked why he was doing that. He said we were expecting to be hit by a hurricane that was coming in at Charleston, SC. Charleston is about three hours driving from where we live. I laughed, but he had been told by a local TV station not to leave anything outside that could blow away or cause damage when the winds started up. OoooooKaaaaaaaaaaay!

This hurricane still affects our lives 20 years later. We think a tornado from it came through our back yard. We were inside our home and the windows started shaking, so we, my husband, son and I, went into the hallway of our one story home. The wind was so strong that the doors from the bedrooms were making noises as they moved a little. We would fastly go inside the bedrooms to make sure the windows were not broken since things were beating against the house. I think our winds were around 100, but Charleston had about 140 mph winds or maybe more. People in our county died from fallen trees.

I have been through a tornado in our area, but the difference is that a tornado lasts seconds and this lasted from about 12 midnight until 4 A. M. and then is when the really hard thing hit that we thought might be a tornado. We thought our roof had disconnected and was about to blow off because we kept hearing a whistling noise. At the first light of morning or a little before light, my husband went outside when we got a small lull in the wind. He was checking to see if we were safe in the house. Everything looked intact.

We later found the whistling noise had been coming when the wind blew through the chain link fence that had been laid over sideways. That is what is still a problem for us. We had several trees on both sides of the fence and just cannot get it to a place where we can get at this fence and repair it. Other people cannot tell this because the trees are covering the evidence, but I hate having the fence in there like that. I will be working on getting it clear again next week. We were working at that time and did not have time to do the work and are retired now and it has become such a problem that I fear we may be dead before it is finished. At least we have something to do in retirement.

Where we had lived growing up was about 2 more hours Northwest of us. My husband's parents lost a small forest of pines in an area where he used to play.

We did not have electricity for days and we are in a total electric community that is pretty high on the priority list.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Yes.

August 13, 2004, Charley was supposed to make landfall near Tampa. Hit us instead.

Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne also affected our area. The people who really got hit though lived in Polk or Highlands County, around the Avon Park area.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
No, and I'll never live in an hurricane-prone area. It's bad enough that I was stupid when I was young and moved to Tornado Alley. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes