Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times

Advertisements

If New York City had a hurricane how would it effect the United States.

Last edited by Bo; 08-18-2009 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
NY city did have a hurricane.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
NY city did have a hurricane.
I know!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default Hurricane of 1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
If New York City had a hurricane how would it effect the United States.
New York City can be hit by a bad category 3 I think. It is not as likely as points further south but it is possible and will happen eventually. In a worse case scenario I have seen maps of flooding (tidal surge) of parts of Southern Queens and Brooklyn (including all of JFK airport) plus the flooding of the streets and subways of downtown Manhattan.

The skyscrapers are designed to withstand major winds but I know I would not want to be casually strolling outside with all those windows being knocked out over my head! Probably would be a similar situation like the recent hurricane that hit Houston --- lots of flying glass and debris.

The likelyhood of a major hurricane hit actually increases as you go eastward from the city toward Cape Cod. While NYC has been hit by hurricanes before the worst one I believe in the local area was the freak Hurricane of 1938 aka the Great New England Hurricane of 1938.

NYC was hits by winds of 100 MPH and parts of the city was flooded in that hurricane. But on Eastern Long Island (Suffolk County) 50+ people died and there was heavy damage especially in Westhampton. Far worse was Rhode Island where up to 600 people died and downtown Providence was flooded.

Even Katherine Hepburn almost died escaping while her Connecticut shorefront house was being destroyed by the waves.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Watch History channel or Weather Channel, they do shows on that stuff all the time.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Bill looks like its going towards New York

Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
The last Hurricane to make landfall in NYC was Hurricane Floyd in 1999, it was a Category 1 or 2 when it made landfall in South Queens. A Category 3/4/5 would destroy a lot of the subway/commuter rail because of the salt water with storm surge, most buildings would stand but glass would fly, the Manhattan skyscrapers would also create a wind tunnel causing winds to reach around 200 mph in a Category 3 which would be bad because of the flying glass, New York City is the 3rd city most vulnerable to a Hurricane after New Orleans and Miami. I happen to live in South Queens which is a flood zone .

It would most likely have adverse affects on the US but things would rebound.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Bill looks like its going towards New York
it's possible bill could hit long island.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
it's possible bill could hit long island.
Becoming more and more unlikely as each forecast is posted. Looks like it's going wide right of Cape Cod and Nantucket on Sunday.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
If you really want to see what authorities are expecting "when this happens again" watch the weather channels "It Could Happen Tomorrow-when a hurricane strikes New York City". The thinking a couple of years ago was that they would not be able to evacuate every one that would be in immediate danger due to the sheer size of the population in possible effected area. The emergency personnel have been working on plans for a few years now tho. They believe that if it is a cat 3 or higher it could surpass Katrina in loss of life and easily be more costly. And on top of that life will be a lot more annoying in the NYC area because commuter rail lines will be affected by the salt water and the subway system will be flooded with salt water and they speculate that it will take weeks if not months to get the subway up and running again. Can you imagine NYC without the subway? I wouldn't even want to see what the traffic would look like on tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes